Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 13; 25 June - 29 June
Topic Started: Jun 24 2012, 09:14 AM (1,762 Views)
Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Great stuff, vicus and north field both seem to be living up to their promise at the beginning of the season. Appropriate that a water tank and drains are major features this "summer"... :P
Edited by Justin-T, Jun 25 2012, 12:56 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I guess they could have used it essentially as a well, removing water as needed with buckets? The spring would have kept refilling it, so could have served as a larger daily source for agricultural/small industrial needs??

Rest assured that many are looking at the pictures with interest, to a man/woman wishing they were digging with you!

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
That would make sense, and having it close to the source, high above the level of the vicus and fort below. However, Justin is talking about (in his tweet today, includes a nice pic) a "drain" leading away from it. Wouldn't that just get it "dirty" again?

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Those clever Romans. I had been thinking it would need lead, which the Romans were very adept at using in water supply systems (the adjustable/shut-off valves from Pompeii blew my mind when I saw them the other day in Boston), and I figured some of the lining would have been left behind for us to find. But clay would do the trick pretty well as long as it stayed damp. Which as we know, is a given in that particular spot...

I wonder if they've found anything dateable in the tank yet?
Edited by Justin-T, Jun 26 2012, 11:58 AM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
+1 on the water tank shot. An eerie feeling of a connection across the centuries being reestablished.

Is there any sign yet of what the physical supply line was to the tank? Presumably the spring fed it, but any evidence of how the spring water ended up in the tank?

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Just amazing how persistent the rain has been.

I just checked the Met Office blog and read that as of the 24th (ie with 6 days still to go) its already the third wettest June on record, and given the further rain since then (and looks like more tomorrow and Saturday) its very likely to break the 110 year record. Main reason appears to be the position of the jetstream; surely it must shift position soon...

Met office news blog

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Dramatic picture! I hope there wasn't any damage in the trenches...

I checked the Met's blog again and they updated the info overnight, it's now the second wettest June, only 6mm short of the record. Looks certain the record will fall. Not clear how they determine the overall rainfall for the whole country, but all parts of England, Wales and N. Ireland have been hit about equally, only Scotland has received a near normal rainfall for the month.
Edited by Justin-T, Jun 29 2012, 06:44 AM.

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply