Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 14; 2 July - 6 July
Topic Started: Jul 1 2012, 07:25 PM (577 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Fingers & toes crossed for a dry week. At least no more torrential floods!

As a starter, an updated plan of the "main" trenches as I understand them. (Please correct if anything is badly wrong.)
Posted Image
(wider shot available here)

(The "W" in the upper-left corner of area 7 is the water tank. The gray stands for drains/ditches; the big gray circle is the well/pit; the black rectangle next to it is what appears to be a stone structure... is this the hearth Justin tweeted about?)

The North Field trench will remain unplanned. Basically it's a very large rectangle. In the center, running east-west, is a road surface with drains on either side. In the southern part of the trench is a very large ditch -- or two side-by-side ditches -- also running east-west, with a range of Roman pottery coming out from the upper levels.

Snowglobe left large shoes to fill from all the photos & updates of the past weeks. Can someone on-site continue the great trend?

Happy digging!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Week's almost out -- any news from the trenches?

Also, if you haven't checked it lately, the Western Classical Studies blog has some really great posts over the past few days. The kind of stuff that reminds me of my first visit to Hadrian's Wall country and how awesome it is to be working there, discovering pieces of lives buried for 2000 years!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
The story continues:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/9380792/Flood-warning-UK-faces-a-months-worth-of-rain-today.html

Flood warning: UK faces a month's worth of rain today
"The UK faces a month's worth of rain today as forecasters warn it will be the worst deluge of the summer."
Posted Image

Hope all people, homes, museums, and trenches make it through unscathed.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply