Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 15; 9 July - 13 July
Topic Started: Jul 9 2012, 06:35 AM (1,294 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Placeholder for Week 15. The weather cams are showing gloom & puddles. Fingers crossed for dry trenches??
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I see the back fill creeping up on the section I helped dig in May. Sad but a bit of a water issue! Must dust down the camera for another visit soon.
Thanks for the updates, also Justin's photo tweets.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks for all updates Terry, a very trying start, but sounds like a great end to the week. Glad to hear the North Field should reopen for business. I'll be at the TBI by some time this afternoon to take a look, shame we can't dig this weekend because it looks like it might be dry both days...

(anybody know how an avatar picture can change on its own? Mine and Badgers both seem to have become random trench pictures :o )
Edited by Justin-T, Jul 14 2012, 01:56 AM.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Justin T
The issue must be on your computer. On mine we are our respective regal and furry selves.
Badger

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Terry's pictures from Friday, as promised!

Posted Image
Progress in new trench NW of 7/8

Posted Image
Progress in new trench SW of 7/8

Posted Image
Standing at S edge of 8, looking N up across 7/8. So much archaeology here! Terry, or anyone, can you illuminate a bit of what's showing here?

Posted Image
NW extension of area 7

Posted Image
Overview of 7/8 standing at NE edge looking SW-ish. Watertank visible at left (ironically in -front- of the huge pool of water!). Again, lots of trenches, boulders, color changes -- any clues for the arm-chair brigade of what's happening?

Posted Image
Middle of the old 4b looking north at the nicely defined edge of the early N/S ditch system going under the later Severan stones and vicus aqueduct.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Where are my manners? A huge shout-out to Terry for all the shots this week! It's a lot of fun as always watching the site unfold, and much appreciated.

Terry S
[ *  * ]
Hi Harry. Sorry for the lack of information to go with the photos. I was working in the new trench SW of 7/8 and typically, I just got my head down and dug in my "territory" i.e. Terry's territory. Pleasantries were always passed with the other folk on my way to the spoil heap, but the conversations never got down to the nitty gritty. Justin gave a detailed synopsis, on Friday, of the sites, but my brain closed down.
Hopefully, the crews over the next few weeks will prove more adept.
Off to Binchester for next two weeks. Many thanks for your noble efforts in transferring the photos to "We Dig".
Happy Christmas!
Edited by Terry S, Jul 15 2012, 04:30 PM.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Wow, Vindolanda and Binchester back-to-back. Hope the weather continues to hold! Thanks again Terry.

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Week 15 gang, well done folks for surviving another week infused with rain!

Andrew
Attached to this post:
Attachments: week_15.jpg (1.33 MB)

Latium.L
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
funny you should mention tree roots, we managed to cut and spade when needed but so far they have not interfered. photos to follow.

Latium.L
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Trench NW corner near Justins previously excavated consolidated temple.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Vindo12.jpg (598.68 KB)

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: