Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 15; 9 July - 13 July
Topic Started: Jul 9 2012, 06:35 AM (1,303 Views)
Terry S
[ *  * ]
Delayed start - lecture/museum visit took care of the morning. Full afternoon's work achieved. After water was pumped out of the North Field's ditches, levels were taken down gradually. Two nice "artefacts", likely to be late 3rd century, amazingly found in the thick, sticky mud. On the main site, in-filling has commenced along the northern edge. Turf lifting and general soil (mud) removing.
Photos to follow.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Terry S
[ *  * ]
Despite the forecast, a full day's digging was fulfilled. No action in the North Field due to water loggedness, so all troops were mustered onto the main site. Two new trenches opened further to the west and general progress in all the existing trenches. The infill on the northern edge has grown considerably. As the forecast tomorrow is fab, sterling progress should be made. Photos with Harold.
Yes, Pete, my shorts are holding up fine. Much to the relief of the other excavators.

Terry S
[ *  * ]
Gasp - two full working days on the trot. The midges are especially pleased. Not a drop of rain. Continuing progress, as photos will show. BBC film crew (2) on site, not sure if BBC3 or 4. Will find out and report tomorrow. Over to Harry.

Terry S
[ *  * ]
No work in the North Field today and I don't think there will be any tomorrow. Forecast OK for next 24 hours, but all work will be on the main site. Not sure about next week.

Terry S
[ *  * ]
Third dry day under our belts! No work in North Field, but, weather permitting, will re-commence next week.
Photos will reveal the work done today. Lots of pottery and some bone. A couple of nice finds. A brace of birthdays today (Alex and Vicky), celebrated with a choccie cake. And ... at the end of the afternoon, a group photo!
The BBC4 crew on site yesterday were filming for a programme about aerial photography in archaeology. No further info at present.
An excellent week, especially the last 60%. My thanks and best wishes to Pete, Yue, Ralph, John, Margaret, Jamie, Lynda ... and me.
Roll on November.
Edited by Terry S, Jul 13 2012, 02:49 PM.

Terry S
[ *  * ]
Hi Harry. Sorry for the lack of information to go with the photos. I was working in the new trench SW of 7/8 and typically, I just got my head down and dug in my "territory" i.e. Terry's territory. Pleasantries were always passed with the other folk on my way to the spoil heap, but the conversations never got down to the nitty gritty. Justin gave a detailed synopsis, on Friday, of the sites, but my brain closed down.
Hopefully, the crews over the next few weeks will prove more adept.
Off to Binchester for next two weeks. Many thanks for your noble efforts in transferring the photos to "We Dig".
Happy Christmas!
Edited by Terry S, Jul 15 2012, 04:30 PM.

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply