Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 16; 16 July - 20 July
Topic Started: Jul 15 2012, 07:11 PM (1,448 Views)
NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Not much to add from the 'real world' - a full days aches and pains attained despite intermittent drizzle. Excitement with just 15 minutes to go but not a champagne moment. Being ill and dis-organised i forgot my cameras but hope to remember them tomorrow.

(And can someone tell the spell checker that in the real world organise is spelt with an S and not a zed and that 'spelt' is a real word!)
Edited by NicC, Jul 16 2012, 02:23 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
From the real world: a bright morning, cloudy afternoon, a few raindrops about 4pm-ish so no time lost. But... trenches brushed down for an expected downpour - hopefully tonight so that tomorrow we can see our different soil colours and get stuck in. A photo or two will be added after I have read instructions on how to put them up!

OK - edit - photos added (I hope) all taken at lunchtime while sitting under a tree having a snooze. Moving from East to South to West. Tomorrow I will try a different perspective. (Standing on my head, perhaps)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: PIC_0012.jpg (1.2 MB)
Attachments: PIC_0013.jpg (1.04 MB)
Attachments: PIC_0014.jpg (995.82 KB)
Attachments: PIC_0015.jpg (1009.31 KB)
Attachments: PIC_0016.jpg (1.25 MB)
Edited by NicC, Jul 17 2012, 12:38 PM.

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
9am and it is still sheets of rain passing by the Twicey. The only good point is that the wind is strong. But I checked a weather station 5km away - not hopeful ALL DAY :'( . Maybe I will be able to nip into Haltwhistle and get my laundry done!

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
12:30 meet and it is off to Barcombe Hill for leisurely archaeological stroll -except for those, like me, who cry off. Bright sunshine but heavy rain off and on. To tell you how bad the ground is I left the visitors entrance to head for the hut and went head over heels just stepping onto the grass. You cannot, safely, push a barrow in conditions like that. Better weather forecast for the rest of the week.

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
08:10 - the blue sky which had been in evidence has nw disappeared and some rather nasty grey stuff has appeared. However, that appears to be intermittent as a little patch of blue has floated into the view afforded by my window in the Twicey. Looks ike it could be a stop/start day if we get started (lots of rain overnight). Breakfast calls.

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Well, my wonderful forecast this morning led to an uninterrupted days digging! Some people had to be shifted but mostly we stayed where we had been. Summer broke out for the morning and clouds in the arvo but no rain until after the buffet. An urn was found in 10. Apart from that I do not think that anything major was found - just ditches and stones - some of them related to each other which made me happy as I found them. But what they are I do not know. Oh, carefully excavated a lot of plastic so went from trowel to mattock!

3 pics attached: 1) trench #9 being extended towards the ice cream booth to cut down the walk time. 2) where my stones are (honest they are in there somewhere)
and 3) my friendly stones.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: PIC_0019.jpg (1.18 MB)
Attachments: PIC_0018.jpg (1.09 MB)
Attachments: PIC_0017.jpg (1.35 MB)
Edited by NicC, Jul 19 2012, 01:40 PM.

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Stopped raining - too bright to look out of the window - or my eyes are too bleary. Expect we will resolved all outstanding questions re the Roman Empire by 'down tools' today!

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
As I mentioned to someone on MSN - red arms, white body! Full days digging achieved so that is 4 out of 5. Lots of things achieved. Some of the ditches by the water tank were confirmed Roman due to an intaglio (sp?) being found. And like London buses...another was found elsewhere. A piece of worked flint found in our area by my trench buddy (I think this is area 7/8 - but definitely just a couple of yards to the west of the water tank. Justin's tweet shows what is coming up in area 10. At end of day there was a lot more road surface uncovered (pix later) so it looks like I am cobble scraping duty again next week.

2 questions about the Roman Empire are left unanswered:
a) why was Vindolanda built so far from the Twicey and
b) why was it built so far from the excavators car park?

That's it for this week (but I will revisit with some pix later)

Saturday midday - pics added. Please note that a Wtaretank is a water tank in disguise.

Badger - I do not have the energy to walk! (or the fitness)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Trench7_and_8.jpg (381.94 KB)
Attachments: Trench7and8.jpg (184.15 KB)
Attachments: Trench9.jpg (453.37 KB)
Attachments: Trench10road.jpg (227.17 KB)
Attachments: Wtaretank.jpg (330.71 KB)
Edited by NicC, Jul 21 2012, 06:52 AM.

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply