Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 17; 23rd - 27th July
Topic Started: Jul 23 2012, 01:36 AM (1,922 Views)
NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Monday morning: Twicey Bedroom Window Weather Studio
What has happened: Rain and strong winds overnight last night
Current: Light grey sky, bright, windy and,,,if I get off my bed and look west (which is where the weather is coming from) - a rainbow. The BBC 3 day forecast is sun, sun, sun. Whoops, sorry. The BBC have lost my tracking cookie - that was London. For NE47 white cloud, shower, white cloud.

I'll stick with the bright sunshine that is trying, nobely, to brighten things up.

Breakfast here I come.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Weather - dark cloud all around all day but we seemed to have a private gap and we probably have some lobsters - certainly I have a white stripe on my wrist where my watch lives!

In summary - dateable finds in north field. Trench '9' extending towards '10' and '10' extending to '9'. The roadway in '10' may only be a pathway, or a wall foundation or ??. A 1970s(?) drainage trench was excavated. Other people were doing other things but I do not know what - apart from guddling in quick-drying mud!

Pix (taken at lunchtime)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 70s_trench_excavated.jpg (212.33 KB)
Attachments: trench9.jpg (261.2 KB)
Attachments: trench10.jpg (187.9 KB)
Attachments: trench10a.jpg (212.13 KB)

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
NicC
Jul 23 2012, 12:40 PM
dateable finds in north field.
That's great! I knew I should have just skipped the return flight and stayed another week... B)

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Looking forward to the eventual dating of the enigmatic North Field.

T.Wolter

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger: I think it was 3rd century AD but I will try and find out more today.

About which: The Twicey Weather Bureau Says: currently (08:30) low cloud, fine drizzle (almost too fine to see), little or no wind/breeze. Could be an uncomfortable day's digging - if any is done at all :'( . The digging will be ok and easier than yesterday but the barrow run?

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Nic
North Field is a very speculative place. I am content to wait for Andrew and Justin to sort it out.
T.Wolter

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Wish they'd just pull up an "Agricola Was Here" plaque so the suspense could be lifted!

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Overall: a full day of aches and pains sustained even if the latter part was in mizzle and drizzle. De-turfing completed including the second layer so everyone should be on hands and knees tomorrow. Nothing spectacular to report or conjecture on. North Field Report: two drainage systems of different periods. Dating given this morning is premature and can safely be ignored as just a "fag-end". Beth says she will produce a report some time. That's All, Folks. No pics - nothing has really changed. Oh! Possible tablet but may just be a bit of a wooden tankard.
Edited by NicC, Apr 14 2013, 04:48 PM.

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Yet another full day's graft under somewhat better conditions than yesterday - even a few moments of sunshine (or was that a dream?). General hands and knees jobs all round although the extensions on 9 and 10 did include spadework. Justin, on his tod, extended 9 south towards 10 in double-quick time uncovering a couple of large flags - the stone type not the fluttery type.

Riposte of the day (yesterday): a middle aged couple at the edge of trench 10...She: "what is your best find?". He: "your wife". Volunteer: "No, that was my best loss!"

Again - no pix. Will try and get some tomorrow.

Ice cream: roaring trade but the big debate is: lunch-time or afternoon break time? For me this is a no-brainer and wastes ice-cream eating time!

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Any time is ice cream time, and you're supporting the local economy whenever you buy it!

Thanks for the updates. Hope to squeeze in a visit over the summer hols to check on progress.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks Nic. If you or anyone from the North Field can post a picture from there on Thurs or Fri, it would be much appreciated... Dying to see how/whether the ditches extend into the easterly half of the trench.

Maybe someone could ask Justin B to do another tweet & pic from there? He did some earlier in the season.

You may not be able to believe it, but I didn't eat a single Vindo ice-cream last week! :o

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
First the bad news: we lost about an hour to rain.
Now the good news: Pauline's chicken korma for the buffet was to die for!
Anniversaries: Beth had one - cake pic attached (if the grey matter remembers!)
What went on? More scratching away with trowels. Due to congestion in 10 I was moved to area 7/8 and had the entire 1/4 acre of trench to myself. Fortunately I only had to scrape one little ditch. The usual pottery and nothing else. Will I go the entire 2 weeks with no "small find" to my name? The extension to 9 started by Justin yesterday which revealed large flags was, actually, a re-dig of a previous Justin trench so nowt exciting after all. Trench 10 was found to have a cut in it. Tomorrow that is 2 be investigated to try and remove the horrible specter of a possible 19th century drainage ditch. A nice burning and some friendly stones have appeared in the extension to trench 10. Other people were doing things but I know not what apart from scraping. The afternoon rain prompted a partial evacuation of 10 so a new cut was begun to join se corner of 10 with sw corner of 8 although I am not sure if the connection is to be made (thinking barrow runs). Will have to check it out tomorrow.
I must just add (because pic follows) that last week a northwards extension to 4b was made. No work is being done on it this week.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Beths_cake.jpg (972.78 KB)
Attachments: North_field_nw_se.jpg (1.04 MB)
Attachments: North_field_sw_ne.jpg (1018.76 KB)
Attachments: Roman_oak_leaf.jpg (587.83 KB)
Attachments: Tr_5_west_end_of_aqueduct.jpg (1.28 MB)
Attachments: tr4b.jpg (1.22 MB)

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
further pics (hope y'all understand my shorthand!)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: tr7_and_8_west_end.jpg (1021.45 KB)
Attachments: tr9_justins_flags.jpg (869.43 KB)
Attachments: tr10_burning.jpg (986.3 KB)
Attachments: tr10_friends.jpg (1.17 MB)
Attachments: Tr10_with_cut.jpg (1.05 MB)

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Just an experiment - a movie file. I do not know if you will be able to view it or download it. It's nowt special - just a 360 degree of the area - not the trenches unless they happen to get into shot! I do not even know if it will post this but ignore file - it says it is attached and it just gets in under the 7.5mb limit.

BOO HISS - all that time to upload and there is no link in the post so I do not know where it went. Maybe Harry can find it?
Edited by NicC, Jul 26 2012, 02:43 PM.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Before anything else, wow the oak leaf is amazing! Is it really from a sealed context & really Roman??

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: