Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 17; 23rd - 27th July
Topic Started: Jul 23 2012, 01:36 AM (1,921 Views)
NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Monday morning: Twicey Bedroom Window Weather Studio
What has happened: Rain and strong winds overnight last night
Current: Light grey sky, bright, windy and,,,if I get off my bed and look west (which is where the weather is coming from) - a rainbow. The BBC 3 day forecast is sun, sun, sun. Whoops, sorry. The BBC have lost my tracking cookie - that was London. For NE47 white cloud, shower, white cloud.

I'll stick with the bright sunshine that is trying, nobely, to brighten things up.

Breakfast here I come.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I would take that oak leaf over any conventional small find. That, my friends, is a bit of history. Fallen leaves from the 3rd century AD.
I don't suppose you have a better pic of it, that one is out of focus.
When I am on site I try and snap any interesting small things (getting permission from A and J where necessary). And I always snap them from several angles and distances. Just to make sure I get one good picture of something precious.
Tim Wolter

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger, I am afraid that that is it. Harry, according to Alberto, who was showing it around, it is Roman. If Alberto found it then he was at the west end of the aqueduct.

Weather today (7.00 am @ the Twicey Weather Bureau): bright sunshine, blue sky, grey clouds and breezy so anything could happen!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Great article in today's "Journal Live" seems to confirm that diggers have indeed found the spring-head! Exciting to be able to see where it all comes from and then be able to start really tracing all those wild ditches & conduits to see how they played together.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2012/07/25/vindolanda-piping-system-uncovered-by-dr-andy-birley-61634-31465284/

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
How do you find this stuff Harry?! Again, thanks for posting. I think one of the pots he's referring to was discovered just last week; in several pieces, but in an upright position and adjacent pieces stil next to each other. (The paper's photo editor should be shot for not correcting the exposure...)

Another piece of info in there is that the next Scheduled Monument Consent has come through, so the digging will continue! B)

As far as the oak leaf, it seems believable to me, oak leaves are pretty hardy as leaves go (just like the wood itself), and maybe it just blew in before someone slopped a pile of rubbish over it.

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hah - the printed version had two pix which included 3 volunteers (including myself) 'excavating' the well which, of course, was excavated several weeks ago. The picture left in was of a certain Dr A Birley who was on holiday this week so it may have been a file pic.

As to today: started in heavy drizzle or light rain, take your pick. No time lost, we simply laboured through it (and, yes Mr Spellchecker, laboured does have a u in it!). The day ended in sunshine although rain is now spattering against the window in the Twicey - oh no it is not - it has stopped as I type and now we have glorious evening sunshine! As to today's activities: trench 10 - the cut discovered yesterday was proved to be Roman - possibly a beam slot. Trench 9 was tidied up and people re-assigned to little jobs in 7/8. Anaerobic stuff continued at the end of the aqueduct and where I presume 'anaerobic gulch' is.

Today's pics are of the new cut that extends the sw corner of 8 towards 10. And group photos (Beth and Trudi were being naughty and played truant from the photo-shoot)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: new_cut_tr8_towards_tr10.jpg (1.37 MB)
Attachments: PIC_0043.jpg (1006.74 KB)
Attachments: PIC_0044.jpg (1.07 MB)
Attachments: PIC_0045.jpg (1.14 MB)
Attachments: PIC_0046.jpg (1.24 MB)

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Oh piddle! I forgot to mention that for the first time ever yours truly had no small finds to his credit. And - that is all. Hope someone else takes up the reigns next week.
Errata: for well read water tank!
Edited by NicC, Jul 27 2012, 11:58 AM.

Justin
[ *  * ]
Ok here goes for the Week's team photo. Hopefully attached.....

Again, a big thanks to the week's crew. We achieved a lot this week a big well done to all concerned.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMAG0190.jpg (6.38 MB)

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Nic, thanks so much for the play-by-play through the week. Can't believe how big & wide the trenches are this year. Hopefully it's really helping to sort out more old puzzles than it is creating new ones!

GrahamRoach
[ *  * ]
Some photos taken at the conclusion of Week 17. I was part of the crew working in Trench 10. A great place to interact with the public. I will try posting more when I figure out how to reduce the resolution of the images (taken on an 11Mp camera.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Vindolanda_Jul_Aug_2012_094.jpg (2.49 MB)

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Love the shot! Let me know if you have trouble uploading more pictures, I'm happy to help if & as possible.

In the meantime, for those following the North Field dig, Beth wrote up a -terrific- review of the state of the North Field at the end of the dig there. Great stuff: http://westernclassicalstudies.wordpress.com/2012/07/28/and-the-show-goes-on/

GrahamRoach
[ *  * ]
I have reduced the resolution of the photos I took at the end of week 17 and hopefully they will load okay this time. If so I will add more taken at the end of week 18. I walked up to Barcombe Quarry at the weekend and include shots of the roman graffito located there. Also a shot of Vindolanda showing this years area of excavation.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Vindolanda_Jul_Aug_2012_083_red3.jpg (110.5 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_Jul_Aug_2012_088_red.jpg (219.09 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_Jul_Aug_2012_089_red.jpg (126.73 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_Jul_Aug_2012_093_red.jpg (164.71 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_Jul_Aug_2012_102_red.jpg (155.04 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_Jul_Aug_2012_104_red.jpg (153.47 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_Jul_Aug_2012_157_red.jpg (119.75 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_Jul_Aug_2012_153_red.jpg (184.31 KB)
Attachments: Vindolanda_Jul_Aug_2012_161_red.jpg (180.48 KB)

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: