Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 17; 23rd - 27th July
Topic Started: Jul 23 2012, 01:36 AM (2,002 Views)
NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Monday morning: Twicey Bedroom Window Weather Studio
What has happened: Rain and strong winds overnight last night
Current: Light grey sky, bright, windy and,,,if I get off my bed and look west (which is where the weather is coming from) - a rainbow. The BBC 3 day forecast is sun, sun, sun. Whoops, sorry. The BBC have lost my tracking cookie - that was London. For NE47 white cloud, shower, white cloud.

I'll stick with the bright sunshine that is trying, nobely, to brighten things up.

Breakfast here I come.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Weather - dark cloud all around all day but we seemed to have a private gap and we probably have some lobsters - certainly I have a white stripe on my wrist where my watch lives!

In summary - dateable finds in north field. Trench '9' extending towards '10' and '10' extending to '9'. The roadway in '10' may only be a pathway, or a wall foundation or ??. A 1970s(?) drainage trench was excavated. Other people were doing other things but I do not know what - apart from guddling in quick-drying mud!

Pix (taken at lunchtime)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 70s_trench_excavated.jpg (212.33 KB)
Attachments: trench9.jpg (261.2 KB)
Attachments: trench10.jpg (187.9 KB)
Attachments: trench10a.jpg (212.13 KB)

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger: I think it was 3rd century AD but I will try and find out more today.

About which: The Twicey Weather Bureau Says: currently (08:30) low cloud, fine drizzle (almost too fine to see), little or no wind/breeze. Could be an uncomfortable day's digging - if any is done at all :'( . The digging will be ok and easier than yesterday but the barrow run?

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Overall: a full day of aches and pains sustained even if the latter part was in mizzle and drizzle. De-turfing completed including the second layer so everyone should be on hands and knees tomorrow. Nothing spectacular to report or conjecture on. North Field Report: two drainage systems of different periods. Dating given this morning is premature and can safely be ignored as just a "fag-end". Beth says she will produce a report some time. That's All, Folks. No pics - nothing has really changed. Oh! Possible tablet but may just be a bit of a wooden tankard.
Edited by NicC, Apr 14 2013, 04:48 PM.

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Yet another full day's graft under somewhat better conditions than yesterday - even a few moments of sunshine (or was that a dream?). General hands and knees jobs all round although the extensions on 9 and 10 did include spadework. Justin, on his tod, extended 9 south towards 10 in double-quick time uncovering a couple of large flags - the stone type not the fluttery type.

Riposte of the day (yesterday): a middle aged couple at the edge of trench 10...She: "what is your best find?". He: "your wife". Volunteer: "No, that was my best loss!"

Again - no pix. Will try and get some tomorrow.

Ice cream: roaring trade but the big debate is: lunch-time or afternoon break time? For me this is a no-brainer and wastes ice-cream eating time!

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
First the bad news: we lost about an hour to rain.
Now the good news: Pauline's chicken korma for the buffet was to die for!
Anniversaries: Beth had one - cake pic attached (if the grey matter remembers!)
What went on? More scratching away with trowels. Due to congestion in 10 I was moved to area 7/8 and had the entire 1/4 acre of trench to myself. Fortunately I only had to scrape one little ditch. The usual pottery and nothing else. Will I go the entire 2 weeks with no "small find" to my name? The extension to 9 started by Justin yesterday which revealed large flags was, actually, a re-dig of a previous Justin trench so nowt exciting after all. Trench 10 was found to have a cut in it. Tomorrow that is 2 be investigated to try and remove the horrible specter of a possible 19th century drainage ditch. A nice burning and some friendly stones have appeared in the extension to trench 10. Other people were doing things but I know not what apart from scraping. The afternoon rain prompted a partial evacuation of 10 so a new cut was begun to join se corner of 10 with sw corner of 8 although I am not sure if the connection is to be made (thinking barrow runs). Will have to check it out tomorrow.
I must just add (because pic follows) that last week a northwards extension to 4b was made. No work is being done on it this week.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Beths_cake.jpg (972.78 KB)
Attachments: North_field_nw_se.jpg (1.04 MB)
Attachments: North_field_sw_ne.jpg (1018.76 KB)
Attachments: Roman_oak_leaf.jpg (587.83 KB)
Attachments: Tr_5_west_end_of_aqueduct.jpg (1.28 MB)
Attachments: tr4b.jpg (1.22 MB)

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
further pics (hope y'all understand my shorthand!)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: tr7_and_8_west_end.jpg (1021.45 KB)
Attachments: tr9_justins_flags.jpg (869.43 KB)
Attachments: tr10_burning.jpg (986.3 KB)
Attachments: tr10_friends.jpg (1.17 MB)
Attachments: Tr10_with_cut.jpg (1.05 MB)

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Just an experiment - a movie file. I do not know if you will be able to view it or download it. It's nowt special - just a 360 degree of the area - not the trenches unless they happen to get into shot! I do not even know if it will post this but ignore file - it says it is attached and it just gets in under the 7.5mb limit.

BOO HISS - all that time to upload and there is no link in the post so I do not know where it went. Maybe Harry can find it?
Edited by NicC, Jul 26 2012, 02:43 PM.

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger, I am afraid that that is it. Harry, according to Alberto, who was showing it around, it is Roman. If Alberto found it then he was at the west end of the aqueduct.

Weather today (7.00 am @ the Twicey Weather Bureau): bright sunshine, blue sky, grey clouds and breezy so anything could happen!

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hah - the printed version had two pix which included 3 volunteers (including myself) 'excavating' the well which, of course, was excavated several weeks ago. The picture left in was of a certain Dr A Birley who was on holiday this week so it may have been a file pic.

As to today: started in heavy drizzle or light rain, take your pick. No time lost, we simply laboured through it (and, yes Mr Spellchecker, laboured does have a u in it!). The day ended in sunshine although rain is now spattering against the window in the Twicey - oh no it is not - it has stopped as I type and now we have glorious evening sunshine! As to today's activities: trench 10 - the cut discovered yesterday was proved to be Roman - possibly a beam slot. Trench 9 was tidied up and people re-assigned to little jobs in 7/8. Anaerobic stuff continued at the end of the aqueduct and where I presume 'anaerobic gulch' is.

Today's pics are of the new cut that extends the sw corner of 8 towards 10. And group photos (Beth and Trudi were being naughty and played truant from the photo-shoot)
Attached to this post:
Attachments: new_cut_tr8_towards_tr10.jpg (1.37 MB)
Attachments: PIC_0043.jpg (1006.74 KB)
Attachments: PIC_0044.jpg (1.07 MB)
Attachments: PIC_0045.jpg (1.14 MB)
Attachments: PIC_0046.jpg (1.24 MB)

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Oh piddle! I forgot to mention that for the first time ever yours truly had no small finds to his credit. And - that is all. Hope someone else takes up the reigns next week.
Errata: for well read water tank!
Edited by NicC, Jul 27 2012, 11:58 AM.

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply