Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 19; 6 Aug - 10 Aug
Topic Started: Aug 6 2012, 07:27 AM (1,127 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hi all! Well into the closing weeks of the season now. What's happening in the trenches for Week 19?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Those new to WeDig may be perplexed at the wealth of site reports early, and the dearth of late. Your humble site admins feel the same way!
It is always been this way, and theories abound. Perhaps the complexity of the site in late season is just too daunting. Perhaps the demographics of the teams late season are radically different (group photos also tend to vanish, so hard to say). It does seem as if more senior diggers make better correspondents. No criticism that, as young whippersnappers we were all more interested in the pub and perhaps our fellow diggers!
I have also noted a close correlary between rainfall and digging reports. Laboring in the hot sun all day makes for great archeology, but tired and thirsty archeologists!
We certainly expect the redoubtable MooseandHobbes to wrap things up at the end of August, but it would be greatly appreciated if a few of the current doings were reported on sooner!

Badger

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Well, spurred on by the example of Team GB, I will certainly endeavour to rise to that challenge, although I can't guarantee that I'll be able to make any more sense of it all than anyone else.

I'm in the process of looking for a new camera right now (my much-loved little snapper is entering its twilight days :'( ). Any recommendations gratefully received.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Q1: What's the price cap?
Q2: What size are you thinking about: compact, mid-sized or SLR sized?

Despite what people may tell you, the lens is still more important than the megapixels. But, you may not want the weight/bulk of a big camera/lens. Answer those two questions and I'm sure people will be willing to suggest some cameras.

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Good point.

price, a couple of hundred max. size, pocket compact.

I think that Canon lenses are considered some of the best, but I've been eyeing up an Olympus TG-1 (which is too expensive, but a girl can dream).

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Sony make very good cameras and relatively inexpensive, my choice for a compact would be Pannasonic Lumix cameras, I took all my shots whilst digging with my Lumix, try to get it with a 28mm lens as this gives wide angle. Lumix use Leica approved lenses so excellent. Cannon and others also good but that's my preference. Enjoy your next visit to the site.
My top buy Panasonic DMC-SZ1EB-K or Panasonic Lumix TZ18 Digital Camera - Black (14.1MP, 16x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD.
Edited by snowglobe, Aug 6 2012, 03:10 PM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I'm a Canon guy myself, I'd give the S95 a close look. It was recently superseded by the S100, but is reckoned to be optically as good as the S100 and got a big price cut. 195 quid on Amazon but was selling for 350 just 9 months ago, before the S100 came out. VERY good value for money, their quality/reliability is usually excellent.

The Lumix's snowglobe mentioned are probably good too, although the 16x makes me nervous. For them to get a 24-384mm (yes I looked it up :P ) range they MUST have made considerable sacrifices at one end (wide or tele) or both.

Nikon Coolpix P310 is another contender.

If you can, test them at a shop, they should be willing to let you compare some shots you took with various cameras. My advice is always to base your decision on image quality, not the fancy specs the makers quote...
Edited by Justin-T, Aug 6 2012, 04:18 PM.

Fiona D
[ *  * ]
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ8 is fantastic - I've been using it for 18 months - great pics and screen - small and light and has Leica lens and good zoom. Hope to catch up with you at end of month Sunny
Cheers
Fiona

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Thansk for these recommendations. They've lead me to a camera, not mentioned here, which I'm investigating.
Sorry for hijacking the thread Harry.

TTFN
MooseandHobbes

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
My trusty old Nikon Coolpix 4100 is getting on a bit (I distinctly remember Alex being amazed that it still worked a few years ago!) but is compact, light and easy to use. I would defintely but a similar one again.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
No worries M&H! If there aren't pics & stories about the week at least there's good camera advice! We'll take it. :)

Claire_M
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Hey Moosenhobbs. Good to hear there will be more updates - I've a dissertation to be distracted from and the dearth of posts doesn't help!

On camera...check what reviews say about the software it runs, reason being that unlike old-style cameras, after the shutter closes, the data that is captured gets processed more - it does fancy maths to fill in and work out the data to create an image, rather than being a simple record of how the light hit the film.

Other than that, I'd second the Panasonic Lumix series and prioritising the lens - have a friend who is a pro (Downton Abbey, Merlin, bits of Games of Thrones among his credits) and he basically rates Leica. He also says something I don't entirely understand about the fact that if the camera sensor is small, then all the megapixels in the world won't help as it can't capture the data (so you're back to software making it up). That's something that is really about camera phones though I think.

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Hi Claire_M

I think that I've settled on the Panasonic Lumix TZ-30, as it's got all the goodies plus a GPS receiver, which will be useful for TDP stuff (we're locating lots of new timbers at Vauxhall).

It is more expensive than I said, but I can get one cheaper if I buy from overseas (I'm working on that at the moment).

TTFN
Mooseandhobbes

Claire_M
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Sounds great - fingers x'd you can find a good deal. Have fun at Vauxhall - one this blasted thing is written up I am going to sign up for some foreshore stuff, looking forwards to it.

Post us lots of Vindolanda pics please!

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Indeed...looking forward to seeing the site though the wonders of SunnyVision! :P
Badger

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: