Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 19; 6 Aug - 10 Aug
Topic Started: Aug 6 2012, 07:27 AM (1,128 Views)
mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Well, spurred on by the example of Team GB, I will certainly endeavour to rise to that challenge, although I can't guarantee that I'll be able to make any more sense of it all than anyone else.

I'm in the process of looking for a new camera right now (my much-loved little snapper is entering its twilight days :'( ). Any recommendations gratefully received.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Good point.

price, a couple of hundred max. size, pocket compact.

I think that Canon lenses are considered some of the best, but I've been eyeing up an Olympus TG-1 (which is too expensive, but a girl can dream).

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Thansk for these recommendations. They've lead me to a camera, not mentioned here, which I'm investigating.
Sorry for hijacking the thread Harry.

TTFN
MooseandHobbes

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Hi Claire_M

I think that I've settled on the Panasonic Lumix TZ-30, as it's got all the goodies plus a GPS receiver, which will be useful for TDP stuff (we're locating lots of new timbers at Vauxhall).

It is more expensive than I said, but I can get one cheaper if I buy from overseas (I'm working on that at the moment).

TTFN
Mooseandhobbes

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Hi Snowglobe,

yeah, I know that the gps on cameras can be a bit hit and miss, and at the site where I most particularly need it, it's likely to be more miss than hit because the site is overlooked by MI6! :X

Nevertheless, if I can get it to work it'll be really useful as the site is very changeable and features appear and disappear, so it can be very difficult to re/locate them. For real accuracy we have Geomatics (the UCL geophysics team).

It's a good camera anyway, so if I can get it for a good price, I'll be happy. And I never leave home without a spare battery :D .

One little Vindolanda update....pleeeeease...just one little Vindolanda update.

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply