Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 19; 6 Aug - 10 Aug
Topic Started: Aug 6 2012, 07:27 AM (1,189 Views)
Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Q1: What's the price cap?
Q2: What size are you thinking about: compact, mid-sized or SLR sized?

Despite what people may tell you, the lens is still more important than the megapixels. But, you may not want the weight/bulk of a big camera/lens. Answer those two questions and I'm sure people will be willing to suggest some cameras.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I'm a Canon guy myself, I'd give the S95 a close look. It was recently superseded by the S100, but is reckoned to be optically as good as the S100 and got a big price cut. 195 quid on Amazon but was selling for 350 just 9 months ago, before the S100 came out. VERY good value for money, their quality/reliability is usually excellent.

The Lumix's snowglobe mentioned are probably good too, although the 16x makes me nervous. For them to get a 24-384mm (yes I looked it up :P ) range they MUST have made considerable sacrifices at one end (wide or tele) or both.

Nikon Coolpix P310 is another contender.

If you can, test them at a shop, they should be willing to let you compare some shots you took with various cameras. My advice is always to base your decision on image quality, not the fancy specs the makers quote...
Edited by Justin-T, Aug 6 2012, 04:18 PM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Quick note on the battery: looks like it doesn't come with a charger, they expect you to charge the battery in-camera. The reviews on dpreview.com are very comprehensive, I'd take a quick look there before making final decision:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs20-tz30-review

The image examples look pretty good to me for a compact.

One last comment: having capability to shoot RAW (ie: uncompressed, not jpeg) is nice because you have much greater power to adjust exposure in post-processing than from a jpeg. Not as common in compacts, but some do have it; Lumix's don't seem to have that option. May or may not be important to you.

And yes, it would be nice to hear something about progress on-site, even Justin has stopped tweeting, maybe he's away?
Edited by Justin-T, Aug 8 2012, 10:34 AM.

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply