Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 19; 6 Aug - 10 Aug
Topic Started: Aug 6 2012, 07:27 AM (1,059 Views)
sarcanon
[ *  * ]
Regarding geolocation and photos, this is what I've done in the past. My principal camera is a Canon SLR (Rebel T3i). It has no GPS capabilities. But I do have a couple of GPS units (a consumer-grade Garmin GPS 60cx and a low-end professional unit, AshTech's Mobile Mapper 6). When I go out for a photo session, I bring my GPS as well. Before setting out, I make certain to sync the clock on the camera to the GPS unit's time (which, of course, will be the more accurate). When I get back to home base, I download the logs from my GPS and use those to geolocate the photos by correlating date-time-stamps on the photos.

This can be a bit labor-intensive depending on the number of images taken, and when I get the time, I'm going to write some software to automate the process. But I get very accurate geodata, and I can power down my camera whenever I like without having to worry about waiting for satellite or mobile tower syncing. The GPS does need to stay powered on for the duration of the session. but it drains more slowly than my camera.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply