Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 19; 6 Aug - 10 Aug
Topic Started: Aug 6 2012, 07:27 AM (1,104 Views)
snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Sony make very good cameras and relatively inexpensive, my choice for a compact would be Pannasonic Lumix cameras, I took all my shots whilst digging with my Lumix, try to get it with a 28mm lens as this gives wide angle. Lumix use Leica approved lenses so excellent. Cannon and others also good but that's my preference. Enjoy your next visit to the site.
My top buy Panasonic DMC-SZ1EB-K or Panasonic Lumix TZ18 Digital Camera - Black (14.1MP, 16x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD.
Edited by snowglobe, Aug 6 2012, 03:10 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
mooseandhobbes
Aug 8 2012, 04:43 AM
I think that I've settled on the Panasonic Lumix TZ-30, as it's got all the goodies plus a GPS receiver, which will be useful for TDP stuff (we're locating lots of new timbers at Vauxhall).
The gps on cameras is useful but can take some time to fix its location so if you just switch on the camera take a shot and switch off it could be out by up to half a mile! Leaving it on standby will provide better accuracy but will reduce your battery life. Gps on smart phones work faster as they use telephone masts as well as the Gps satellites . If marking small features the GPS setting may give you false results? This must be a record, two pages of a weeks digging without any actual reports of what's going on, over 800 we dig members surely someone must be on site?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply