Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 20; 13 Aug - 17 Aug
Topic Started: Aug 13 2012, 06:25 AM (1,754 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Well Week 19's thread was a -rousing- discussion of cameras! But with the season in its final weeks, a whole bunch of WeDig'ers would love to know how the various trenches & sites are playing out. If you're on site, please drop a line and let everyone know what's going on!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Great pics and tidbits from Justin's Twitter feed -- new trenches near the wells, extension of old 4B in the early ditches, finding laminate & lots of organic material! Who's on site who can shed some light on what all else is happening?

Rhona
[ *  * ]
Looks exciting
We're arriving next week, can't wait
Rhona

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Justin's latest seems to show digging about 1 meter away from the spot I was on in May. We just barely dipped down into happy strata.....then the Flood.

Hope we get the occasional update from the site, I have been imagining that particular patch of organics for months now.

T.Wolter

Rhona
[ *  * ]
We will be there for the next 2 weeks and will take photos so will do my best to post them here.

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Badger
Aug 16 2012, 08:52 AM
I have been imagining that particular patch of organics for months now.

T.Wolter
Badger, I'm going to be there the week after next and, just for you, I'm going to try to relocate that tree stump (if it's still there) and put you out of your misery with a photo :D

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thank you Sunny.

I appear to have a bit of Druid in me somewhere.

hmmm. Justin's latest seems to suggest I was wrong about where they are digging. My May excavation site will remain a mystery for a while longer. Probably a good while longer. Just take pix of everything! :)

TW
Edited by Badger, Aug 16 2012, 10:04 AM.

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
No problem.
Justin has also posted a picture of some pretty juicy looking organics that have just been uncovered, so I'll get some pics of those too (if they're still there). :D

sarcanon
[ *  * ]
Sunny: If you would post a nice shot or two of "my" wall over in 4A, I would be truly grateful. And please ask Justin if they've discovered whether it continues further east under the paved footpath into the trench over the fence.

Thanks, luv!

- Scott

mooseandhobbes
[ *  * ]
Hi Scott,

will do my best. I'll try to make a point of taking as many pics as possible and see if I can get some from the same angles as pics from earlier in the season.

Your wall was certainly a bit of a star when we were there, so we must see how it's getting on. :D
TTFN
M&H

Gellan
[ *  * ]
Back from my time spent digging - it was amazing and great to meet all of you who were there! Very glad we didn't get rained off this afternoon or many of us wouldn't have seen that amazing altar and inscription get found - calling it the highlight of the week is a bit of an understatement but it certainly was! A fantastic end to a fantastic week.

Amongst other things found this week were: a couple of coins, a cloak brooch (I think?), a couple of leather soles, a good portion of an intaglio and a piece of pottery with some letters carved into it. I'm pretty sure there were more but those are the ones I can recall at the moment.

I do have lots of pics but have yet to properly sift through them, so in the mean time I present to you the dynamic duos of Andy + icecream and Justin + tree stump (below the bucket).
Attached to this post:
Attachments: P1050110.jpg (1.16 MB)
Attachments: P1050111.jpg (1.05 MB)
Edited by Gellan, Aug 18 2012, 05:23 AM.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Gellan
Aug 17 2012, 04:51 PM
... seen that amazing altar and inscription get found ...
!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarcanon
[ *  * ]
Gellan
Aug 17 2012, 04:51 PM
Very glad we didn't get rained off this afternoon or many of us wouldn't have seen that amazing altar and inscription get found
Hang on a minute. Are you pulling our legs?

This hardly seems possible not much more than a week after an inscribed altar was found at Maryport. The coincidence would be absolutely stupefying.

Please provide more information. No detail is too small.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Yes, more info on the altar would be great!

(although maybe less info on the other small finds, we are asked to be careful not to go into details on those here, especially coins, so as not to encourage strangers in the night with metal detectors)

Gellan
[ *  * ]
Justin-T: I edited out some information on the small finds, hopefully it's a better shade of vague now. Let me know if not and I'll pare it down further.

There's no definitely no leg-pulling about the altar. Unfortunately it wasn't complete but it was a sizeable piece with clear inscription on it, and a laurel wreath carved around it. One of the words wasn't immediately recognisable, but the others showed it was, I think, dedicated to Diana, goddess of the Hunt by either the first or second cohort of Tungrians. I got a few photos of it but I'm not sure if I'd be overstepping a mark by sharing them - unsure of the protocol here!

Perhaps a bit later on today I'll have some time to sit down and sort through the photos and put together some panoramics and hopefully some of you will be able to see areas that you've been working in.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: