Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Week 20; 13 Aug - 17 Aug
Topic Started: Aug 13 2012, 06:25 AM (1,752 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Well Week 19's thread was a -rousing- discussion of cameras! But with the season in its final weeks, a whole bunch of WeDig'ers would love to know how the various trenches & sites are playing out. If you're on site, please drop a line and let everyone know what's going on!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
Gellan
[ *  * ]
Thought I'd take them down just in case, but if they're alright to put up then I shall re-upload!

1/ Piece of pottery with graffiti on it. An 'r' is visible to the right. Possibly one or two more letters to the left of it but I'm unsure on that.

2/ A freshly found leather shoe-sole.

3/ Typical bag of finds at the end of a day - bits of animal bone, pottery and brick. Can't see any animal teeth in there for that day in question! Nice bit of rim centre-left, possibly a bit of slag just to the right of it and a bit of mortaria centre-bottom.

4/ Another typical bag.

5/ The bit of rim from photo #3.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: P1040078.jpg (1.34 MB)
Attachments: P1040088.jpg (1.16 MB)
Attachments: P1050114.jpg (1.17 MB)
Attachments: P1030058.jpg (1.26 MB)
Attachments: P1050109.jpg (1.06 MB)

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Yay! Glad to see them back up, they're great pictures. Shoes and most leather goods are almost always fine to show. Pottery, with and without inscriptions, also generally fine. The big concern is the metal stuff -- coins, precious metals, things "nighthawks" with metal detectors could zero in on -- and anything truly precious: gems, an especially fine piece of organic, etc.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Nice shots. I would love to find a shoe, there's something so personal about them compared to pottery or almost any other small find. The shoe display is actually my favorite part of the new museum.

Gellan
[ *  * ]
SacoHarry: Good to know. I do have more pictures of finds but they're mostly the same as the bag shot.

Justin-T: Agreed. You can imagine people wearing them today, as well. I'm pretty sure there are sandals you can buy that are similar in style to Roman designs.

There was another sole found which I didn't get a picture of unfortunately; it was smaller in size, perhaps for a woman or a teenager. Quite a sight to see and imagine it on the foot of a person so long ago.

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I love finding shoes, knowing that they will have walked the ground we're uncovering. I think it was in our 2nd year at Vindolanda that we were in the ditch outside the fort by a drain and found lots of leather. Robin's comment was 'not another shoe'!

The display of shoes in the museum is excellent.

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
Many years ago when they had too much leather to cope with, I was given tuition on how to wash the stuff. All, at that time, done under cold running water (fingers went white after a bit). One day a child's shoe turned up and when I had carefully cleaned it, it was the length of my hand from base of thumb to fingertips - about 6 inches long.

I could see the impression of the toes quite clearly. It was just the shoe sole, nothing else. No, there was no photograph, didn't at the time think I should, so resisted the temptation.

Can still see it now..... on my hand.....hmmm

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: