Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Week 20; 13 Aug - 17 Aug
Topic Started: Aug 13 2012, 06:25 AM (1,679 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Well Week 19's thread was a -rousing- discussion of cameras! But with the season in its final weeks, a whole bunch of WeDig'ers would love to know how the various trenches & sites are playing out. If you're on site, please drop a line and let everyone know what's going on!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Great pics and tidbits from Justin's Twitter feed -- new trenches near the wells, extension of old 4B in the early ditches, finding laminate & lots of organic material! Who's on site who can shed some light on what all else is happening?

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Gellan
Aug 17 2012, 04:51 PM
... seen that amazing altar and inscription get found ...
!!!!!!!!!!!!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
That's astounding news! The 1st Tungrians were the early ones on-site... And there were vague reports in the 18th Century that a still-standing temple had just been knocked down by local farmers for building stone... It was thought to be a temple to Diana. I mean, wow!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
The 1769 text describing the destroyed temple is here: http://s9.zetaboards.com/We_Dig_Vindolanda/topic/7241767/1/.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
As eager as I am (and am sure others are!), let's hold off for now. Word is that the Trust is working out the facts on what they've found and will have a press release up as soon as it's ready. I don't know if that means days or weeks, but being a kind of big deal, we should still wait til the release is out before posting pics.

In the meantime, I do enjoy a good bit of idle speculation & buzz!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Photos of finds are awesome! Basic etiquette is, if you can imagine someone selling it on eBay don't post. But shots, graffiti, general stuff -- that's usually all 100% fine. Would love to see.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
I wonder what the relation is between the altar and the early-2nd C temple. Was it originally part of the complex? Or something distinct? Word is the Diana bit might not withstand scrutiny, may be dedicated to a more obscure deity. Great stuff!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hi Gellan -- your pictures of the shoe, pottery, etc. were awesome. And were totally fine for WeDig. If you still have them and would like to put them back, please feel free!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Yay! Glad to see them back up, they're great pictures. Shoes and most leather goods are almost always fine to show. Pottery, with and without inscriptions, also generally fine. The big concern is the metal stuff -- coins, precious metals, things "nighthawks" with metal detectors could zero in on -- and anything truly precious: gems, an especially fine piece of organic, etc.

« Previous Topic · 2012 · Next Topic »
Add Reply