Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
2013 Excavations and the new SMC; Next years excavations at Vindolanda
Topic Started: Sep 13 2012, 06:00 AM (2,089 Views)
Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Understood.

Archeology is after all less about how things were than about how they change.

And that process never ends.

TJW
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Yikes. This information doesn't exactly dampen my enthusiasm. I guess this gives me 5 weeks to complete Operation "Wear-the-spouse-down-into-conceding-it-would-be-a-great-idea-to-make-another-UK-trip-during-digging-season". If that starts to run into difficulties, Operation "Our-son-would-have-a-life-changing-experience-by-digging-as-well" might have to be deployed some time around Oct 20th.

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
That makes a lot of sense and sounds like a great potential experience for diggers over the next few years.

I got the chance to 'play' with a total station with the guys from NMGM a couple of weeks ago and loved it, so relish the prospect of being able to learn and develop new skills.

Thanks for the explanations Andy.

sarcanon
[ *  * ]
Well, I am positively giddy over these changes.

Setting the bar a little higher in terms of excavation skills is tremendously exciting to me, because it means learning a lot more. I never lack for fun on site, but I'm there to learn. Hopefully I will be able to catch on quickly enough to not get stuck with the remedial kids. :-)

For what it's worth, I approve heartily, Andy.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Just a quick note to say that "2013 Excavations" has now replaced "2012 Excavations" on vindolanda.com, and all the information that we've been discussing here is now laid out fully, including all the two-week excavation periods:

2013 excavations page at www.vindolanda.com

Fiona D
[ *  * ]
Andy - thanks for all new info - new system and plans for new season sound really interesting and exciting - if a lot more work for the professionals. Already looking forward to 2013 - lets hope it's a tad drier!
Fiona

Rhona
[ *  * ]
Just one little thought - the website says that as well as booking a digging slot you can add extra t shirts etc to your order. I didn't do this last time as I was in such a hurry to check out before somebody else took the weeks I wanted... But if the opportunity had been there to go back - perhaps after a digging slot was confirmed booked - and order extra items I probably would have gone for fleeces etc. Might the Trust not make more revenue if they let diggers order kit a bit later?

martin
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Don't think i'll be able to come anymore with the new two week booking :(

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Will the Vindolanda Field School schedule be the same as it was in 2012?
Edited by Justin-T, Oct 16 2012, 07:04 AM.

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Hi Justin-T,

It will start on the last week of May and run into the end of the first week of July 2013

best,

Andrew

Cestrian
[ *  * ]
Andy,

When is Friends' Day in 2013? I might want to arrange my visit around that day.

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
29th June.

It is normally the last Saturday in June.

bets,

Andy

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Good luck tomorrow everybody! Hope the system works smoothly and folks land the slots they're hoping for.

Hearts go out to everyone who lives in -- or has family/friends in -- NJ/NYC/Long Island and elsewhere who got hit so hard by Superstorm Sandy. We were very lucky here in Maine to get spared the worst of it.

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Happy New Year to everyone at wedig from Vindolanda.

Just to let you kow that you can now get your hands on the superb Amphora stamp report by Kate for free at the Vindolanda website by following the link below:

http://www.vindolanda.com/doorway-articles/excavation-reports

cheers,

Andy

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Interesting. So, are all the marked amphorae at Vindolanda of this single style or did this report just cover the "20's".

T Wolter

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: