Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
2013 Excavations and the new SMC; Next years excavations at Vindolanda
Topic Started: Sep 13 2012, 06:00 AM (1,998 Views)
katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger
Jan 9 2013, 04:49 PM
Interesting. So, are all the marked amphorae at Vindolanda of this single style or did this report just cover the "20's".

T Wolter
Hi Tim,
The Dressel 20s are not the only amphorae to carry stamps, but they are by far and away, the most common amphorae at Vindolanda. As far as I know at present, all of our stamped amphorae are Dressel 20, and so the report catalogues those.
Best,
Kate :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Any reason why the classification schemes for roman pottery all sound so....teutonic? Dragendorff for samian and Dressel for amphorae...

T Wolter

katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger
Jan 10 2013, 07:41 PM
Any reason why the classification schemes for roman pottery all sound so....teutonic? Dragendorff for samian and Dressel for amphorae...

T Wolter
It harks back to the 19th century and the input of Germanic scholars to classifications and typology. Try taking a look at Renfrew & Bahn, Archaeology, Theories, Methods & Practice for a good overview of the history.
best,
Kate

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks Kate....although I find it unlikely that a copy of that will be found anywhere in rural Wisconsin!

Makes sense regards our German friends. They are very keen on organizing and counting things. And in the latter part of the 19th century also very keen on empires generally and roman emp specifically. Guess that is why the King of Prussia promoted himself to Kaiser in 1870. Or was it '71?

T Wolter

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Andy, I was wondering if you would be willing to give us more background to the plan for the North Field, specifically in terms of the three trench positions?

As you mentioned elsewhere in response to a previous question, the narrow trench is an extension of where we ended up in July, presumably tracking the ditch we found further up the field. It looks to me like the most southerly trench is extending westward from the 2010 trench, is that expected to be a corner of the/a presumed fort? What about the most northerly trench, what is hoped might be revealed there?

I know that there is some sensitivity about activity in the field, so I understand if you need to keep your cards close to your chest here, but any light you'd be willing to shed on this, on these cold dark winter days, would be much appreciated!

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
On a similar note...

Any word on the text of the 3 partial writing tablets? Of course not expecting anything complete until the Trust publishes....but of the three can you reveal whether there was enough to discern text? And were they from one area or scatters?

T.Wolter

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
All i can tell you at the moment is that there is text, and it is ink.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: