Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2013 Excavations and the new SMC; Next years excavations at Vindolanda
Topic Started: Sep 13 2012, 06:00 AM (2,060 Views)
Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks very much for posting all this Andy, very interesting reading. Glad to see the North Field having a prominent position in the plan.

Lots of fascinating trenches to be dug in our collective future!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Quick question on the A1 trenches. I'm curious whether the thin (most easterly) one is a continuation from where we ended up in July?

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Seconded on the blogspot posts, the diagrams are great to have.

I can certainly attest to the travails caused by that bit of the Victorian drainage system this summer. After another deluge overnight we arrived in the morning to find another baulk collapse, and the suddenly diverted drainage system dutifully depositing gallons per minute into the trench. :-/

Hopefully the biblical rains of 2012 won't be repeated for a long time.
Edited by Justin-T, Sep 24 2012, 10:02 AM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Well spotted Sue, I hadn't noticed the excavator updates.

The biggest news I can see is the change from a two-week recommended minimum to a required minimum of two weeks. Another change is the maximum for the season looks to be four weeks, instead of five in 2012. I can understand the thinking behind both changes, although it will make it harder for me to dig again; getting two weeks away will be a real challenge.

A couple of questions arise from the changes, could someone sign up for 3 weeks and do the two weeks have to be consecutive?

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks for the comprehensive and rapid reply Andy. I'm betting the changes will mean the slots will disappear much more slowly on Nov 1... It might take 48 hours instead of 24 for them all to be gone! :)

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Yikes. This information doesn't exactly dampen my enthusiasm. I guess this gives me 5 weeks to complete Operation "Wear-the-spouse-down-into-conceding-it-would-be-a-great-idea-to-make-another-UK-trip-during-digging-season". If that starts to run into difficulties, Operation "Our-son-would-have-a-life-changing-experience-by-digging-as-well" might have to be deployed some time around Oct 20th.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Just a quick note to say that "2013 Excavations" has now replaced "2012 Excavations" on vindolanda.com, and all the information that we've been discussing here is now laid out fully, including all the two-week excavation periods:

2013 excavations page at www.vindolanda.com

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Will the Vindolanda Field School schedule be the same as it was in 2012?
Edited by Justin-T, Oct 16 2012, 07:04 AM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Andy, I was wondering if you would be willing to give us more background to the plan for the North Field, specifically in terms of the three trench positions?

As you mentioned elsewhere in response to a previous question, the narrow trench is an extension of where we ended up in July, presumably tracking the ditch we found further up the field. It looks to me like the most southerly trench is extending westward from the 2010 trench, is that expected to be a corner of the/a presumed fort? What about the most northerly trench, what is hoped might be revealed there?

I know that there is some sensitivity about activity in the field, so I understand if you need to keep your cards close to your chest here, but any light you'd be willing to shed on this, on these cold dark winter days, would be much appreciated!

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply