Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2013 applications; are underway
Topic Started: Nov 1 2012, 07:07 AM (2,839 Views)
Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
So does anyone have any information about the error message you get when clicking the link in the "receipt" email? I'm still getting that today, and I've had no other communication from the Trust. Can I assume that my application (and my 16 yr old son's) is accepted and I'm good to go, or is there still some processing of applications going on?

BTW Cestrian, if all is well I'll be on site with you in period 7...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sandy
[ *  * ]
Just had a quick look on the website and some more places with accommodation have been added if anyone is interested.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Justin T

Drop an email to Fiona and she will clarify your status. If you got the invoice I assume you are ok. You and your son will have a time to remember..

Near as I can figure the glitches were and are somewhat US specific. Some issue with addresses that do not end in "shire" me suspects.

And having just checked I do note some Hedley Center/digging slots in the April/May range. I did this for a week last year, mostly as a way for my brother and his wife to get a chance to dig. (between the three of us we had two excavate only slots). Hedley has some pluses and minuses. But for cost and convenience it is very good. And if you are pining for the cozy atmosphere of the Twicey tap room, I can speak to Period 3 having a Vindolanda table there on a regular basis....just walk up the road.

Badger
Edited by Badger, Nov 2 2012, 11:42 AM.

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Alex
Nov 1 2012, 04:09 PM
Sue, I know how you feel... I'm bloody P***ed O** big time, all the years I've been digging and did I get a place? Did I hell!!
Alex

I would hate to be the person who processes all the applications - it must be a nightmare dealing with it especially those of us who were unlucky. I just try to remind myself that it's a privilege to be able to dig at Vindolanda.

I'm exploring other options elsewhere in the UK (see my Facebook timeline) for next year. Looks like I won't be in with any sort of chance anytime 1st November falls on a weekday at least while I'm in my current job!

If you're interested in things closer to home Alex, there's a group started up in Sefton which I've been on a couple of digs with. Get in touch if you want more info.

Sue

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Did anyone try the new feature that allows you to sign up two people? This could work for the employment disadvantaged....

We would not presume any untoward relationships from such actions!

Badger

Col Sanders
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger, you say the nicest things!!! People will talk if you carry on like this. The beard will be in evidence during period 5 so keep a look out.

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
OK - I went for it - Hedley Center so anyone staying that period (2) should bring their ear plugs!
Noticed this:
Quote:

If you have applied to join the 2012 excavation programme, your application is being processed and you will receive a confirmation within five days.

Note the 2012.
Other problem I had was it said I should supply first name and family name - scroll to top and, yup, they are there. The only other places for such info is if you are booking for 2 people and if you wish to subscribe. Well I have already subscribed but I filled those in anyway and it worked. Not very clear - and, frankly, a waste of time. Thank the brewery for auto-fill.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Just wanted to echo Sue's comment, we should all bear in mind that the Trust is not a major corporation with a large IT budget. There are bound to be some less polished aspects to the booking system, especially when they have changed to the two-week system this year, with two people registering at once. Digging at Vindolanda is well publicized and has become extremely popular, so there are a lot more people who want to dig than there are places. Sometimes we'll miss out despite getting onto the system on day one. They are doing their best to be fair to everyone.

bishpt
[ *  * ]
The only glitch I experienced was the email link, did not have confirmation until I rang Fiona this morning.But now I have my confirmation for Period 4 and am a happy lad. Hovering over a laptop has paid off.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Same here, email to Fiona was the solution for me too.

NB: There's at least one excavation slot available for period 1 at the Hedley right now for those still interested...

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Justin T

Glad you and your son will be digging. It is important to recall that while Parent as a noun is timeless, Parenting as a verb is very fleeting. If he is 16 you have already done most of the heavy lifting. Trips with your young adult children are more of a victory lap.

Badger

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks Tim.

For those still chafing over missing out, as of 10:45PM UK time there are excavator openings for FIVE different periods available on the Trust website, including two different periods for "excavation only" (ie: not including stay at the Hedley). Get 'em while they're hot...

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
Hi everyone,

For those who were trying to email me last week, I was on holiday with my kids, so I am now wading through the heartache, trauma and jubilation, and will respond to all as soon as I can in the next few days.

But I would like at this stage to say....

Welcome back to those of you who made it in this time, and for those who didn't don't despair, places do come up through the year (the reserve list does actually move), and for the first couple of days some places come back on to the system for various reasons. For instance, we processed an application for a gent, only then for his angry wife to call and cancel it, seems he was over-ruled after the event at home ........ there are other tales and no, no names will be named and shamed. but... as a consequence... his particular slot came back on the system. Also, some folks plopped a place into the shopping basket and then didn't go to the counter to check out. Those places will automatically come back on to the system after 24hours. I am not happy about it, places were supposed to come back on to the system after 1hour, not 24, so this will no doubt form a significant part of the usual post excavation application day post mortem back at base Vindolanda. All I can do is apologizes for that. Once you have selected a place from the shelf it is yours for 24hours to complete the form, so if you have the form open, don't rush it, fill it in properly in a calm and orderly fashion :-)

cheers,

Andy

Col Sanders
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Andy, firstly how dare you go on holiday especially with your children!!! Secondly, you simply can't drop a juicy snippet of gossip like that without at least giving us all a HINT of who it was. How are we going to fill the long winter nights if we don't have something like that to get our teeth into?
Could be grounds for divorce methinks. See you in May, regards Col.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks Andy. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall to hear the discussion between the would-be digger and his spouse. I suggest a heavy dose of Time Team for the missus, and perhaps next year he'll have better luck. :P

Also, good to know for next year that once you have the item in the basket you are no longer having to race for the places. Takes some of the pressure off.

A quick additional thought on the Nov 1 roll-out.
The noon release time works well for me, because it falls at 8AM US East Coast time, but I can see that for some people (especially UK/Europe) it might be very difficult due to overlap with the work-day. To try and "even the playing field" a little more, perhaps there could be two stages of roll-out, with 12 noon for the first half of the places and then another one 9 hrs later for the remainder?

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply