Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2013 applications; are underway
Topic Started: Nov 1 2012, 07:07 AM (2,840 Views)
Cestrian
[ *  * ]
Did anyone manage to get a second 2 week booking? With the demand for places should we perhaps be restricted to just 2 weeks to give everyone a chance? Andy can no doubt provide the stats.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Col Sanders
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Andy/Cestrian, this could get really difficult as there are people logging on from the Southern hemisphere also E.G. New Zealand. We had to juggle things as the UK had just altered the clocks back to GMT and then stay up until 1am on the 2nd (11 hours in front here) to make the deadline. Europe will mostly be on their lunch break at 1pm so should not have a problem with the time of opening Especially our French/Italian friends whose lunch allegedly is 2-3 hours long!!! Seriously it will become a nightmare to organise things any other way and as Justin-T has said the Trust does not have the facilities of a huge IT department. It's not broke, don't fix it. Regards to all, Col

Col Sanders
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Cestrian, you must be wondering why I was addressing you in my last post. It's because i am an idiot and got you mixed up with Justin-T. Sorry. Col

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
But I think my suggestion would work perfectly for you, Colonel (and others in the cricket-playing former southern colonies!). You could go to bed at the normal hour Nov 1, safe in the knowledge that you could check at 10am NZ time Nov 2nd, when there would be another set of places coming online you could apply for...

As Sue has mentioned earlier in this thread, being in the UK/Europe at noon/1pm doesn't necessarily mean you will have free access to the web at that time, due to particular demands of your job during the work day.

As far as it being a nightmare to do a two-phase system, it really depends how the software is set up. The Trust has been putting slots back into the "available" queue quite frequently over the last few days, so I'm guessing it might not be too hard, possibly as simple as changing the value of one number at the second wave - the number of available spaces remaining in each period.

Andy, what do you think?
Edited by Justin-T, Nov 6 2012, 03:29 PM.

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Another option would be to make it some time on the first Saturday/Sunday of November although those that work those dayas have the same problem. Actually, there seems to be no problem as the places vanish "just like that".

Andy
Dr Andrew Robin Birley
[ *  * ]
I think, to be honest, that whatever we do will irritate some folks and bar making sure that every single person gets a place who wants one I am on a hiding to nothing with this issue. However, we will keep it under constant review as I know it is a major issue. Perhaps we should run a lottery instead ?

Claire_M
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I managed to get a place this year (have been hiding as didn't want to rub salt); like the idea of a lottery, which you could sign up to say for a week beforehand, put down perhaps a first/second choice of dates and then go on the wait list if places come up later?

Don't know how easy it would be to run though.

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Andy et al

Much as I'm gutted not to be coming for the first time since 2005 I appreciate all the difficulties involved and really don't know what the solution is. Perhaps a lottery seem might work. It would be great if you could have even more places or restrict to just the one two-week block to free up more places, but as the Trust gets more and more popular so you will also get more and more interested applicants.

Congratulations to all the lucky souls who DID manage to get places though.

Rhona
[ *  * ]
I think however it's done there will be some people who don't get in, or don't get the weeks they wanted. I suspect a lottery would be a lot more work for the Trust. Restricting to one 2 week block would increase the places I suppose.

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
It would double the places but restrict the level of experience. Must be great to be so popular!

kaycham
[ *  * ]
Would it be feasible to have two booking days? The first ten weeks as Season 1 and the remaining weeks Season2? This would halve the booking traffic, maybe acknowledgements and confirmations would go out after the second day, and I suppose there would have to be some sort of name filtering system to eliminate double booking to ensure fairness.
Regards,
Kathryn.

Rhona
[ *  * ]
But some people might have a first choice of a season 2 session and a backup choice of season 1.
Whatever they do, at the end of the day there are more people who want to dig than there are digging places
Maybe limiting people to one digging session would be fairer, but I don't know how many places this would free up as presumably not many do four weeks.

bishpt
[ *  * ]
I tend to agree with Sue's statement.
The more the word is passed around about the opportunity to dig at this wonderful site, through media and word of mouth, the more difficult it will become for everyone to get future slots.
This is the nature of the beast, money is needed to develop so media is used to promote.
I am happy with the system, I was perfectly willing to smile and accept if I missed out on the only 2 week period available to me this year.
As I will again next year.
Change the booking times? There will always be someone disadvantaged, I think it is up to each person to organise themselves for that time whether it is a proxy booker or you are available youself.
I also agree that all diggers should be restricted to 2 weeks each and free up a few slots, after all, if you manage to get one 2 week slot then you have been a part of that seasons dig.
The systems not broken, so lets not change it for something that could be far worse.
Besides, I am sure Andy has more important details to worry about than redesigning a booking system.
Cheers

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Still space for diggers in periods 1 & 2...
Edited by Justin-T, Nov 13 2012, 09:25 AM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
And they are still there, including period 1 availability as an "excavate only" slot...

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply