Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Now there's something you don't see every day....
Topic Started: Nov 24 2012, 09:52 AM (1,205 Views)
Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Someone has created a gigantic earthwork/artwork akin to the famous White Horse.

Northumberlandia

A formidable dame....

T.Wolter
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
At least you can tell a White Horse when you see it from a distance.

This Northumbria work of art you will need to be flying over it to make any sense of it.

Malise
Edited by Malise McGuire, Nov 26 2012, 01:12 PM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks for posting Tim, that is pretty extraordinary! I'm surprised it hasn't had more news coverage - 1.5 million tons of earth moved to make it, 5M pounds to make it and other big numbers as well. I wonder what people will make of it two thousand years from now? Might be worth a visit in July...

Latium.L
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks for the link, what a fantastic piece of work, ancient man would have approved need to see this when we visit next year.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Happy Valentines Day! Or do you celebrate it in the UK?

Ave Northumberlandia! Amor Invictus!

T. Wolter

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Badger
Feb 14 2013, 02:08 AM
Happy Valentines Day! Or do you celebrate it in the UK?

Ave Northumberlandia! Amor Invictus!

T. Wolter
We do indeed, whilst looking for roman fortlets (winter diversion) I found this Henry Moore sculpture in the area, some issues brought up in this artwork! Posted Image

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Waiting.....waiting for Spring

Fiona D
[ *  * ]
We all are Badger - it's definitely not here yet. Here's hoping it arrives before April 1st!

katesf
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Fiona D
Mar 16 2013, 01:06 PM
it's definitely not here yet. Here's hoping it arrives before April 1st!
Hi Fiona,
Thinking about that today - its very chilly and lots of rain and sleet showers here in Haltwhistle. I hope that things turn around in the next couple of weeks just in time for Easter monday to give us a good start to the new SMC.
Kate B)

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
Last Friday when we visited, the weather was trying to snow, all very wet and miserable.

The school children didn't mind - usual noisy lot round the replica buildings with the teachers trying to keep some control.

Quite a few trees and bushes taken out in the Museum gardens... no nice private corners anymore where you could sit and eat your sandwiches.

Just hope the weather is not snowing a blizzard second week of May! :D
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Frogspawn_and_ice.jpg (400.17 KB)
Attachments: 2012_excavation_seen_15_March_2013.Panorama.jpg (663.31 KB)

Sue Munro
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
On the two occasions we've been digging at the start of the season we've had some snow, so why change a Northumberland tradition?! ;)

Just think of me on a windswept Iron Age dig on Eday in the Orkneys in August.... :'(

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
That dig looks pretty interesting Sue, it would be great if you could give us a report afterwards of how it went.

Here's the BEVARS website, where I found info on the dig. (very inventive name by the way! :D )
Edited by Justin-T, Mar 18 2013, 11:43 AM.

NicC
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
"Windswept"? - in Orkney? Come off it, as an ex-resident I can tell you that it is a=considered a calm day if the wind has not reached gale-force! And Eday is surrouned by all those other, sheltering, islands.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I talked Snowglobe into a walking excursion on our off Saturday. South of Hexham there is a difficult to find site called Queen Margaret's Cave. Supposedly after Lancastrian forces were defeated in the Battle of Hexham she and her son the Prince of Wales fled up Dipton Burn. Accosted by robbers the queen was able to shame them into giving her safe shelter in their robbers cave.

Not an easy place to find but we managed after much clamboring about.

Here is Snowglobe doing a creditable Robber imitation:

Posted Image

This may become a WeDigs walk at some future date, but it is not for the faint hearted or to be attempted in wet weather.

Badger

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I hope my fellow digger will return next year, and with that in mind I'm making the roads safer for him.
Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: