Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Roman hairstyle reverse engineered; The "seni crines" worn by Vestal Virgins is recreated after 1600 years
Topic Started: Jan 9 2013, 03:58 PM (244 Views)
Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
In one of those serendipitous moments of idle internet surfing, I happened upon this report, which covers a presentation last week at the Archaeological Institute of America's annual meeting. It describes the successful reconstruction by Janet Stephens of the specific hairstyle worn by Vestal Virgins, which had been a bit of a mystery due to the fabric coverings that usually hid the complex pattern of braids. The report is on Yahoo news, but appears to be well written:

Vestal Virgin hairstyle reconstructed

I also managed to find a 17 minute movie showing the author reproducing the style from start to finish. I'm not usually particularly interested in hairstyles (being somewhat challenged in that department myself), but this is a fascinating insight into the lengths the Romans went to with their hair.

Movie showing the complex braiding construction

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply