Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Advice for getting from Newcastle to the site?
Topic Started: Mar 1 2013, 11:15 PM (938 Views)
meghanb
[ *  * ]
Hey everyone (hopefully I've put this in the right place)! I'm coming to Vindolanda for the first time in April, and am super excited! However, I'm from Canada, and this is my first trip overseas by myself. I'm flying into Newcastle, and wanted to know anyone's recommendations, advice, etc on how to get from Newcastle to the site (I'm staying in the Hedley Centre). My mum and I have done some research into it, but we'd like to hear advice from the people who know the place the best :) Any tips are really appreciated!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

meghanb
[ *  * ]
Wow, thanks everyone! Mum and I are still discussing the different possibilities for me getting there, but this is definitely incredibly helpful.

As another way of getting from Newcastle to the site, is taking a taxi/splitting the taxi fare with someone else another possibility? (it would the easiest, because it'd take me right from point A to point B). Is it really expensive, or just a bit more expensive than the other ways of getting there?

Also, Badger, for gear I think I've pretty well got what I need from reading past posts on gear recommendations, but if there's anything you or anyone else would suggest specifically for the April weather at the site, that'd be great!

meghanb
[ *  * ]
Okay...I now know my flight is supposed to arrive in Newcastle at 10:30 on Sunday morning (Mar 31), so I guess the bus option directly from Newcastle is not possible...

So if I've understood this all correctly, it sounds like my best option is to take the (Carlisle) train to Hexham, then get one of the afternoon runs of the AD122 bus directly to Hedley. Correct?

If so, I'll go online to see if I can buy an Anytime Day train ticket in advance (maybe can print it here at home so that I won't have to worry about the ticket machines). I need to clarify something though...I can get this train right at the airport? (I thought I had to get from the airport to MetroCenter first, and then get a train from Metro to Hexham...)
Also, you've said that you pay for the AD122 bus when you board - do you happen to know whether this must be exact change, or will they make change, if needed?

Thanks again!
(oh - in response to the question about where I'm from in Canada, I'm from a rather small village in Ontario!)

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply