Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A New Digger's Guide post!; Hermitage Castle - forlorn & atmospheric
Topic Started: Mar 6 2013, 12:07 PM (539 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hello WeDig'ers!

After a very long hibernation, I'm pleased to announce something new in the Digger's Guide - a little-known yet amazing place to visit, Hermitage Castle.

Hermitage Castle, just across the Scottish border maybe an hour's drive NW of Vindolanda, has no known Roman associations. It does have some of the most moody, evocative atmosphere of any place I've visited. The raw power & loneliness there really show just how lawless the "Debatable Lands" were, for hundreds of years. The "Reiver" era put a huge stamp on the culture of the whole region around Vindolanda. If you want a flavor for one of the big ingredients that made Tynedale -- and its towns and villages -- what they are today, check out the page and make plans for a visit. It's worth it!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Now -that- is a great picture Pete! The place still just gives me the creeps. So cool. Justin, best I could find is that it was partially restored in the 1800s but still retains its integrity from the 1300s. Don't know how much they have to do to keep it stable. I'll bet it's a ton of work!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply