Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Elsewhere in the Empire....
Topic Started: Mar 23 2013, 09:11 AM (460 Views)
Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I seem to recall some discussion on WeDig about how to crop/resize images, with instructions for those using either a Mac or a PC, but can't seem to find it. Might be useful to put a link to that here if anyone knows where that is?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Fiona - nice picture! However, photos are almost always going to look better if saved as a jpeg and not a gif, does Paint have that option? I use a Photoshop on a Mac, so I've no idea what Paint on a PC will do... B)

If you can save it as a jpeg I think you'd find the "pointillist" look will disappear and a nice smooth appearance would return, with a file size about the same as this one.
Edited by Justin-T, Mar 25 2013, 09:27 PM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I was just trying to find Fiona some PC-specific help, and knew that Harry had written something up somewhere. Didn't want to reinvent the wheel...

I found what I was looking for: Harry's excellent guide to cropping & resizing image files on a PC. I thought I had posted how to do this with the built in image editor app on a Mac ("Preview"), but it must have been on a different forum. Maybe I should write one up and it could be stored with the PC version.

However, if anyone is really interested in working with their image files I recommend learning something a bit stronger than Paint though. First of all, shoot your images in RAW, then you can fix exposure problems much more effectively (files are bigger, but memory cards are dirt cheap now). Then use something like Photoshop (even the Elements version is enough, there are Mac & PC versions) and you can bring out shadow detail, darken and "moodify" overexposed clouds etc. Photoshop also has a superb function called "Save for Web", which allows you to reduce the dimensions of the image as well as the colour-set. The file size reductions can be extraordinary, and you get to preview the effects before you save.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Excavation & General Archaeology Discussions - Open to All! · Next Topic »
Add Reply