Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A regular view; A challenge to Wediggers
Topic Started: Mar 29 2013, 06:11 AM (753 Views)
snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
We thought it would be great to get a regular overview of the season from the same location, the tower of the replica wall seems a worthy location as it takes in areas of the SMC. Any Wediggers with a small amount of energy left after a days digging could take a shot , this would build into an interesting project as the work continues.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
One taken on the 5th May
Posted Image
Edited by snowglobe, May 6 2013, 01:59 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Great idea! The height means the pictures should reveal at least some of the main features as they appear.

Fiona D
[ *  * ]
I'll see if I can summon up the energy to do that a couple of times at least during period 2. It certainly is a good overview spot and it will be interesting to see development.
Cheers
Fiona

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
This topic may work if the photos run as above so if you e mail me I'm able to add images within the post, snowglobepete@btinternet.com . You will of course be credited with taking any photos so we can all admire your end of day stamina of climbing up the tower.
Edited by snowglobe, Mar 30 2013, 03:52 AM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
If I have my orientation correct, the SE quadrant is within the red-marked area on Pete's image. Can I make a suggestion to ask people to zoom in a little so their photo covers the dashed area? It will mean we have more chance of picking out details. I fear that otherwise we will need to be posting multi-megabyte photos and zooming in ourselves, or we won't be able to see anything from that distance - notice the size of people walking around to see how small things will be if we don't zoom in (or crop later, but this may exceed the pixel density of some people's cameras).

I've done a similar "time-lapse" project myself (construction of a building) and I found it helped tremendously to have specific landmarks to mark the sides of the view, so the images over time cover the same area. We could do it here using the two trees as the left edge and the wall that runs through the field on Barcombe Hill on the right, putting the SE quadrant in the middle of shot.

Posted Image

I'm also wondering if there's going to be any digging in the vicus this year (?), that the same vantage point could be used to take similar progress photos of there too.
Edited by Justin-T, Mar 30 2013, 09:21 AM.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
The SMC plans on the Vindolanda blog page show the sites within the Vicus to be dug. The photos are a guide only zoomed or non zoom are both fine, those using mobile phone cameras may not have the option. All images welcome.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Those climbing Barcombe hill there is the alternative weekly shot!

Posted Image
Edited by snowglobe, Mar 31 2013, 10:31 AM.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Ooh! Barcombe would be ideal! It would also catch (from a distance) the vicus work. But admittedly, slightly less convenient.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
First photo added , see above

Fiona D
[ *  * ]
Thanks for great photos as ever Pete. Just gearing up to get up to Northumberland tomorrow! If the weather is suitable for the overview.....crossed fingers ... I'll send jpegs for you to add to the sequence. Would you sort size out or shall I reduce before I send them?
Fiona

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
The more photos the merrier, my wifi is fast here so Its up you whether you reduce to send or not, I will reduce them here if needed. Glad to have a replacement snapper on site to take over from Pauline's wonderful photos. You can post using Harry's helpful guide or Email me snowglobepete@btinternet.com
Edited by snowglobe, Apr 14 2013, 05:01 AM.

Fiona D
[ *  * ]
Here is the shot for April 19th from top of tower - hope I've got positioning right!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_0879__640x480_.jpg (201.07 KB)

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Looking at the late evening shadows there's plenty of interest in the south east corner

Posted Image

bishpt
[ *  * ]
Picture from first week of session 4
Attached to this post:
Attachments: a.jpg (98.02 KB)

« Previous Topic · 2013 · Next Topic »
Add Reply