Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A regular view; A challenge to Wediggers
Topic Started: Mar 29 2013, 06:11 AM (682 Views)
Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Great idea! The height means the pictures should reveal at least some of the main features as they appear.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
If I have my orientation correct, the SE quadrant is within the red-marked area on Pete's image. Can I make a suggestion to ask people to zoom in a little so their photo covers the dashed area? It will mean we have more chance of picking out details. I fear that otherwise we will need to be posting multi-megabyte photos and zooming in ourselves, or we won't be able to see anything from that distance - notice the size of people walking around to see how small things will be if we don't zoom in (or crop later, but this may exceed the pixel density of some people's cameras).

I've done a similar "time-lapse" project myself (construction of a building) and I found it helped tremendously to have specific landmarks to mark the sides of the view, so the images over time cover the same area. We could do it here using the two trees as the left edge and the wall that runs through the field on Barcombe Hill on the right, putting the SE quadrant in the middle of shot.

Posted Image

I'm also wondering if there's going to be any digging in the vicus this year (?), that the same vantage point could be used to take similar progress photos of there too.
Edited by Justin-T, Mar 30 2013, 09:21 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · 2013 · Next Topic »
Add Reply