Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Session 1; 1 - 12 April
Topic Started: Apr 1 2013, 05:53 AM (1,798 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Hi all! Here's the placeholder for the opening week/session of the 2013 dig! Please let us know what's going on on-site -- thoughts, pictures, what-have-you. Happy Digging!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
The weather reports today show it 3 C. Yuck! Hat's off to staff & volunteers working in the chill. Also, the Northumberland Natl Park website seems to have dialed back their Hadrian's Wall webcams from 3 to 1 -- the only live one now is Cawfields. (Budget cuts?) But Cawfields is still running, as is Hexham Abbey. Check out the So, How's the Weather? page for current conditions & live area video all throughout the year.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
WeDig'er katesf reports: "Cracking start to the 2013 Vindolanda excavations. Large area of turf off to the south of the praetorium and pottery, glass and nails, plus stone rubble. Will get interesting tomorrow." Sounds good!

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
That's great, often don't get much to see on the deturfing day, sounds like they are onto the good stuff already. An auspicious beginning!

Would be great to see a picture and find out exactly where the trench is...

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Woo-hoo! 1st-day write up on Vindolanda's Blogspot: http://vindolanda.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/the-very-first-day-of-new-five-year.html

Image linked from the Blogspot page of the happy trench work, starting at the southern end of the praetorium, and working back southward: Posted Image

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
General location, for orientation:

Posted Image

And wider shot for better orientation:

Posted Image

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Great start to the season, I note shiny looking buckets!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
1st day & 1st photo album from Terry S & Pauline! Terry writes: "Full day's digging done! Cold breeze all day, but the sun came out this afternoon and made all the difference. Supposed to be getting gradually warmer as the week progresses and no rain forecast. Today we all lined up east - west and de-turfed, heading south. Good progress and the first coin was found by one of your countryfolk on her first dig. Happens all the time doesn't it? ... Will despatch more tomorrow."

Looking great!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More pictures (and higher resolutions) at: http://opa.cig2.canon-europe.com/s/m/FvnzaVrnyDN

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Great stuff, it does look cold judging by clothing, and from the snow on the top of Barcombe Hill! Keep the pictures coming.

Thanks also to Harry for the maps.

Fiona D
[ *  * ]
Looks great - and dry.... a huge improvement on last year. I guess most of us would rather have the cold if it stays dry.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Some pics from today's update by Terry. Says Pauline, "Here's the latest from our man at the front. Terry wore his shorts today in true intrepid style and though the weather was cold there was no snow. I've told him to make sure he gets a photo of himself in said shorts tomorrow as he's noted for wearing them. Anthea always wears hers too. It's early days trowelling but stones are appearing that Andy thinks may be a wall. Everyone very enthusiastic and keen to do more tomorrow. Weather forecast for next week is for an improvement."

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More, and larger, photos from this album.

Terry S
[ *  * ]
For those who like to know these things; this year's T-shirt is a beige/cream number, with a fetching green circle on the back, bearing the Vindolanda 1800 years (213-2013) anniversary logo in classic white. A collectors item!

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
The site looks so clean and tidy....no loose dirt anywhere. No mud, no pools of water... I would take crisp and clear any day.
Looks in yesterday's shots as if Anthea has lost her Red Sox hat!

Badger

bishpt
[ *  * ]
The site looks really good and I only have to wait 6 weeks so hope the weather holds for awhile.
I know you have to watch what is mentioned on this site but is there any information on finds so far? Beads, pottey, glass etc.
I would be interested in how productive the area is looking at such an early stage.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Andy says that by Monday afternoon they'd already found 4th C pottery, nails, glass, and other Roman debris. This area was buzzing with life for probably 250+ years straight, I'll bet it's choc-a-bloc.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2013 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: