Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Session 2; 15 - 26 April
Topic Started: Apr 14 2013, 06:29 AM (2,244 Views)
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
The scene at the start of Session 2!

Posted Image

Happy digging!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Great pics Pete & Fiona! The robber trench is quite a sight.

Keep 'em coming! And if anyone has pictures of finds, please consider posting those as well. Pottery, nails, glass, iron/lead objects, beads, dice, gaming counters are generally all OK unless they're particularly rare or special. If you have a photo of something higher quality or that you're not sure of, drop me a line at text_style@hotmail.com. I'll confer with the experts, and if we can post it we will.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Amazing find!

Here is a link to the photo in its original size. Not a whole lot larger, but perhaps someone in the know can do some deciphering:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BH_CCalCYAAV9se.jpg:orig

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Alright. I'm going to dive in a bit. The last line and a half are interesting. It seems to read "VOT R ET L M." This seems to be a new take on a common abbreviation: "VSLM." That was the stock abbreviation for "votum solvit libens merito" -- "willingly and deservedly fulfilled his vow." This would be "VRLM," which -has- shown up before (according to Google) as "votum retulit libens merito." What's cool is adding the "ET" in between R and L. That looks like a more colloquial way of saying it. Anyone else have thoughts?

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
For those interested, Wikimedia Commons has a -great- collection of Roman altars/dedications that use the "VSLM" ending. Neat to see all the variants & abbreviations. And how they were used.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:VSLM_inscriptions

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
sarcanon
Apr 16 2013, 02:29 PM
My guess will be to expand RET as RETULIT
Ahh, that does make sense! Especially given the "VOT" instead of "V." I saw a notch between the R and ET, but that could easily just be a bang in the altar instead of an intentional "space." Nice!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Brilliant photos Fiona, thanks much! That flagged floor must have been a thing of beauty back in the day.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Great series of photos, thanks much Nic! Sounds like day after day of truly interesting & cool stuff. The walls & stonework are fab! Wish I was there right now, horizontal rain and all.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Excellent end-of-Week-3 update by Justin Blake now available at Vindolanda's official blog: http://vindolanda.blogspot.com/2013/04/week-3-things-have-progressed-nicely.html

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
The criss-crossed layer of walls in Justin's latest Twitter pic are amazing! As are the drains running through & under and around. Just so much archaeology!

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
What a smorgasbord - walls and floors running everywhere! Many thanks Nic. The trenches look amazing this year.

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Video blog of the altar is now up at Vindolanda's main blog site!

Very cool video, Anthony Birley gives a great description of the writing & its context. (And we were right about the Vot Ret L M being rare and kind of neat.)

SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Thanks so much for the great updates & photos Fiona! Just a thing of beauty seeing all of that criss-crossed stonework there. (The snow may be a bit less beautiful, no offense to Mother Nature.)

Also, a great write-up of Week 4 posted to Vindolanda's blog: http://vindolanda.blogspot.com/2013/04/week-4-little-bit-of-interruption-from.html

« Previous Topic · 2013 · Next Topic »
Add Reply