Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Session 2; 15 - 26 April
Topic Started: Apr 14 2013, 06:29 AM (2,138 Views)
Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I was on site a few years ago when two of these household altars were found in one day. They, and I am suspecting this one also, were reused as building stones. WeDig generally defers questions on things like inscriptions to the Vindolanda Trust. When they want to talk about it we will too! Many of these little guys appear to have been made by, ahem, journeymen carvers and have a great deal of variation in spelling and grammar. Some are entirely illegible due to this and to wear.
But my goodness, this is a nice clean one!
There are some fascinating local deities who are pretty much only known by their being remembered in this rather rough hewn fashion.

Congrats to the smiling digger....I have stared long and hard at more than one wall stone trying to make it into one of these!

Badger
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Well....ok

In the line above it looks like ...VEATNLLES.. or something like that. Could this be a variant on the local deity mentioned on other Vindolanda altars?

RomanoBritian lists the following variants from Vindolanda:

VETERIBUS
VETERI....TIN...S
VETERIBUS
VETERI

Given the difficulty reading the darned thing I am uncomfortable saying anything more....But I am pretty sure there is a VET in there....

Badger
hope the speculation is appropriate. As Sarcannon says, the image is posted on the official Vindolanda blog.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · 2013 · Next Topic »
Add Reply