Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Session 3; 29th April - 10th May
Topic Started: Apr 28 2013, 09:37 AM (1,430 Views)
snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Another session and entering May, the weather is looking fine for the start of these two weeks lets hope the weather gods stay in good cheer. Two thirds of Wedig admin are encamped in the twice Brewed this session! We hope live up to the amazing effort put in by the pervious weeks.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Claire_M
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Yay, am enjoying reading the forum (have things I should be doing, you see) so good to know there will be more archaeology to see :D

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Weather report for Sunday, 28 April

Posted Image

Janus the two headed god for a day of sun and rain and wind. Forecast augeries are favorable.

Badger

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Mostly just playing around with ways to upload photos from a tablet based system....a new experience for me. Here is a snap from yesterday's brief recon of the site.

It is yet another example of the myriad ways that mudstone can try to deceive. I was sure at first glance that this was some sort of lead pipe.

Posted Image

Badger
waiting for breakfast

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
A blustery day but mainly sunny if cold, major deturfing underway only interrupted by heavy hailstones for 10 minutes.

Posted Image

The east wall seems like the best place to shelter
Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by snowglobe, Apr 29 2013, 01:08 PM.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Lots of deturfing going on today, but Snowglobe and I were detailed to investigate an area apparently explored by antiquaries in the early 1800s. Their trench made its way up towards the Stone fort II wall near the East gate. There were a few finds, I guess the 1830's workmen and their supervisors were less interested in things like rampart contruction and late roman reuse. Right near the fort wall we found a series of wooden objects. Old, but certainly not Roman in a level where anaerobic preservation is not possible. Eventually Snowglobe removed one...

Posted Image

No, not an implausibly intact ballista bolt. It seems to be a huge tent stake whittled from a sapling. It might have held up some kind of tarp.

In a probable 4th century wall is this worked stone. Not an altar it may have held painted plaster for decorative purposes.

Posted Image

And finally the reappearance of a venerable Vindolanda artifact....

Posted Image

Of course I meant the Boston Red Sox hat - seen for many seasons now - not its wearer the ever young Anthea!

Badger
Edited by Badger, Apr 29 2013, 05:04 PM.

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
Another title for "the east wall seems like the best place to shelter" could also be '...A Bad Day at the Office' :-))

Terry S
[ *  * ]
Hi Pete,
A few of us were digging at Benwell (Condercum - a fort on Hadrian's Wall, to the west of Newcastle) today and also experienced YOUR sleety downpour. Judging by your (excellent) photo, you came off worse. Dramatic stuff! Rest of the week looks good.
Regards,
T

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
More from today to show that it was a sunny day most of the time
Deturfing

Posted Image
Removing the fill from the antiquarian trench on the east wall
Posted Image
A post hole within the flagged floor
Posted Image

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Looks like its going to be a great day, the wall at Peel Crag with the Vallum in the foreground
Posted Image

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Wow what a great warm sunny spring day, workers happy in the sun. No deturfing today with plenty of trowel work in progress.
Photos to follow , swatting up for the twice Brewed pub quiz tonight.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Note: for those interested a slightly different take on the diggings, for my non archeology friends back home, usually appears daily at Detritus of Empire

Snowglobe and I are troweling through what should be the intervallum road. But it appears to have a flagged surface in places and a lot of dark, murky soil. One wonders just what the late Romans had squishing around their toesies!

A few finds popped up, nothing fab but stuff that amuses me at least.

Posted Image

A (?) sheep jaw laying in the muck.

And another find from the rampart area...

Posted Image

It amazes me how precise Samian ware construction really is, and how pristine it can look even from higher layers.

Various things turning up elsewhere on the site, more on the order of walls and flags, other than a bead and another arrow head not much for small finds.

Late in the day Brinno our Dutch colleague got into quite a batch of tile and amphora fragments. Incidentally he is paired with a chap named Richie whose Geordie accent is so dense that we have observed that there appears to have been a purposeful effort to team up the two diggers who really did not speak English!*

*disclaimer, Brinno speaks rather good English. We are hoping he teaches Richie some Dutch, it would be an upgrade.

Badger
Edited by Badger, Apr 30 2013, 01:59 PM.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Following on from Badgers post a photo of said diggers
Posted Image

An overview of the site this afternoon
Posted Image
The sun is out
Posted Image
Justin giving a site talk with 3 translators!
Posted Image
Walls everywhere and more appearing
Posted Image
The area of the intervallum road and rampart with interesting paved section the robber trench runs from the fort wall across the road in the photo centre
Posted Image
Badger today not himself!
Posted Image
Edited by snowglobe, Apr 30 2013, 02:25 PM.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
The Tuesday Pub Quiz in the Twice brewed once again was a cuel mix of difficult questions & other teams playing the dreaded joker card which chopped our points in half however one Vindolanda team did win through, there's always next week.

Posted Image

CutandFill
[ *  * ]
snowglobe
Apr 30 2013, 01:56 PM
Posted Image
This appears to be a prediction of what future archaeologists will look like; extendable necks in order to be able to examine the ground closely without breaking their backs from bending over all the time.

Excellent pictures as usual, thanks :)

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2013 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: