Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Session 3; 29th April - 10th May
Topic Started: Apr 28 2013, 09:37 AM (1,425 Views)
snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Another session and entering May, the weather is looking fine for the start of these two weeks lets hope the weather gods stay in good cheer. Two thirds of Wedig admin are encamped in the twice Brewed this session! We hope live up to the amazing effort put in by the pervious weeks.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Replies:
SacoHarry
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  * ]
Loving it! The Badger picture will haunt my nightmares for much time to come.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Good weather today and steady progress in the upper layers of the site. A few small finds here and there, pot lids, a bit of bronze from a scabbard.

One remarkable thing about excavating at Vindolanda is the variety of people you meet. At the Twice Brewed this morning Pete and I had a conversation with an American oil field worker who came all the way over to see the wall and to visit a whiskey festival up in Scotland. He is, and almost certainly will ever remain, the only person I have even met from Deadhorse, Alaska.

But I topped that by about 9am. Walking up to the site I mentioned to one of the diggers that I was having difficulty placing her accent. Well, it turns out she is from a family that left China ahead of Mao, moved to India, then to Yemen where she was born. Later linguistic embellishments came from living in London and working for an American company with a large operation in my home state of Wisconsin. Oh, and she was educated by Italian nuns......

Snowglobe will post a few pictures by and by. Hopefully less disorienting than the blurred stop motion panorama of yesterday. I am feeling great, no aches and pains to speak of. But nobody is THAT flexible.

Badger
Edited by Badger, May 1 2013, 11:49 AM.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
A great sunny day with the slightest spot of rain to spoil the day.

A joy to work in the sun, plenty of walls and features coming to light
Posted Image

Posted Image
Tea and Biscuits
Posted Image
King of the spoil heap, policing the heap
Posted Image

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Plenty of hard work again today with plenty of sun to spur us on, the site continues to show more Interesting features. The BBC TV programme "Escape to the Country"
descended on the site this afternoon.
Posted Image
Ian choosing his Wheelbarrow
Posted Image
Pierre and Richie troweling
Posted Image
Our newest wedig member Ella
Posted Image
Is automated digging the future?
Posted Image
Liz and Badger discuss trench activity
Posted Image

Edited by snowglobe, May 2 2013, 04:35 PM.

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Our weather yesterday.....

Posted Image

I don't have any pictures as good as Snowglobes!

A busy day on site Thursday. There was a nest of activity where the TV crew was working. I am told this is one of those "buy your dream house" programs. Vindolanda was featured as an enticing local attraction. I do hope the eager young couple did not cast eyes upon the Praetorium behind them and think "Oh my, quite the fixer upper".

Another focus of activity at the trench of a first time digger. Always, always the first time digger. Keep an eye on Justin's tweets in days ahead...

Forecast for today, alas.....

Posted Image

(ducks and dwarves from a mosaic found in Turkey)

Badger

Badger
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Weather reports proved insufficiently optimistic....a full day of work. The only adverse environmental effects were some lusty renditions of Broadway show tunes rendered in a gargled Geordie accent!

"eeewwwwEEEWWWWkla-hewmma!"

There is general argreement that this garrulous fellow has a promising career on the West End.

Especially on the part of diggers who realize we are now working on the east side of the fort.

Pix by Snowglobe in due course...

Badger

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Light drizzle and the odd downpour but work wasn't interrupted, the two week system means we'll not have to say goodbye to friends for another week. Andy, Justin and Kate have been key to the week so far with guidance, patience and the odd bucket emptied.
Diggers working through the drizzle
Posted Image
A shot from session two to show progress
Posted Image
The site at the end of today, progress and some high walls showing to end the week
Posted Image
As mentioned in the Vindolanda blog today the ornate carved stone found by David
Posted Image
David and Richie during a black and White tea break
Posted Image
Our two Wedig corespondents working on the intervallum road.
Posted Image
Edited by snowglobe, May 4 2013, 01:47 AM.

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
Escape to the Country, Post #19.... I did fill in a BBC form last Autumn before we found our house in Halty, and was contacted earlier this year to see if we were still interested. I explained that we wanted to be in this particular bit of Northumberland because we were both volunteers at Vindolanda and it is such an exciting place to be.

That was probably the start of the 'bright idea' the researcher had for filming on the site.

Nice to be of help :-))

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I have been trying out some new photo image trickery which gives a full 360 view of the site, hopefully it should work in the way Google streetview does? Please feedback if you get it to work. Use your mouse (preferably the PC kind) or finger to move the image around.

Vindolanda 360 view
Edited by snowglobe, May 5 2013, 01:53 AM.

bishpt
[ *  * ]
Yep works a treat

kaycham
[ *  * ]
Certainly does, many thanks.
Regards,
Kathryn.

DavidM
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Wow that's excellent. Keep 'em coming.
David

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
DavidM
May 5 2013, 11:44 AM
Wow that's excellent. Keep 'em coming.
David
Will do, glad it's working

davidgoldwater
David Goldwater
[ *  * ]
awesome stuff - the amount of information and constantly changing news on the We Dig site is worthy of an Oscar - is there an equivalent? (!)

Fiona D
[ *  * ]
That's a great new tool Pete - so good to be able to hone in on area I was digging last week.
Hope the weather stays fine for you all next week - it looks like you've made great inroads this week.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2013 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: