Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Session 4; Session 4 of the 2013 excavations at Vindolanda
Topic Started: May 12 2013, 12:55 PM (3,188 Views)
charlie
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Session 4 has officially begun.....

The Hedley residents are here.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Here's to a a great session 4, I hope those cameras are ready? You can post photos using Harry's step by step guide or if you prefer contact me & I'll post and resize on your behalf. Click on the link below for option two.
snowglobepete@btinternet.com
Edited by snowglobe, May 13 2013, 03:15 AM.

charlie
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks Peter, but I think I have pictures figured out.

First day was cut short due to extreme hail, rain and wind. The trenches pooled with water and became too muddy to work with. This new session seems to get along very well, perhaps due to the amount of time spent in our elongated tea break.

Before we were interrupted after lunch by unfortunate and unavoidable meteorogical disturbances, about 4 of us continued on the work that Pierre, Richie, Brian, David, David Goldwater and a few others began last week on the inter-vallum road. The rest of the group continued to scale back, de turfing another few meters in the direction of the soil heap.

The weather changes by the minute (which is really no surprise) but the group already seems to jell well together.

I have no photos yet, and unless someone gets some on here before me than I will have some up tomorrow.

To sum up the day "What the Hail?"

charlie
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Weather today was cloudy with sunny spots while the wind was as persistent as ever. Most of the deturfing was completed today, and most excavators began to trowel back. There is a steady increase in small finds from yesterday due to the number of people who have finished removing the top soil and are currently working their way down through the layers.

Tomorrow is said to be a complete 'wash out', as a storm is slowly climbing up from the south; whether it will actually reach Vindolanda remains to be seen as we all know how fast the weather can change here.

Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_2689.jpg (221.27 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2687.jpg (255.8 KB)
Attachments: IMG_2688.jpg (283.53 KB)

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Great images to start off the week from Charlie , sunny has added some photos to add to the collection keep um coming
Posted Image
A sighting of digging legend Nigel in the centre
Posted Image
A case of history repeating itself, hail this Monday
Posted Image
Edited by snowglobe, May 14 2013, 12:52 PM.

charlie
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Due to the rain, we did not reach the excavation today, allowing us to partake in lectures on pottery, and artefacts by Kate and Barbara, as well as a lecture on Jupiter Dolichenus by Andrew.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Any Wediggers on site to lift the Dark earth of silence? Photos welcome.

charlie
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thursday and Friday passed with moderate weather (we didnt get too damp) and many of us partook in pottery washing. I have photos of the site that you can see possibly tomorrow, as the site has had a bit of a haircut and has lost a few pounds on the sides and around the middle. The team seems to get along very well, and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves although a weekend is definitely needed for many aches and sores that I am sure everyone has more than a few of.
(pictures some time tomorrow.... I promise)

-Charlie, out

(ps, didnt know my identity was a secret)

bishpt
[ *  * ]
Sorry for the delay guys but I have been having a personal battle with my laptop and the wireless at the hotel I am staying at.
As Chalie mentioned it has been an interesting week and although we lost 2 sessions plus a full day on Wednesday the team has still managed a smile and a good amount of toil.
We had stripped back several meters of turf by Monday before rain halted us in the final session. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday saw us stripping back layers to reach the levels of the previous weeks.
Apart from the building on the Eastern rampart the only other structures appeared to be at the Western end of the site where Mark and I are trying to find some order to the jumble of stones discarded there.
Andrew's theory is that the remainder of the trenches are part of one big robber trench hence the lack of features between east end and west end.
Still the team working this ground were of hardy spirit and still managed a smile by end of week 1.
There were still some good finds and all are looking forward to week 2.
Paul
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 1.jpg (170.86 KB)
Attachments: 2.jpg (120.33 KB)
Edited by bishpt, May 18 2013, 11:29 AM.

bishpt
[ *  * ]
Some more photos from the week
Andy and Justin ensuring no one was shirking duty during the hail storm.
We have had three seperate days with hail storms
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 4.jpg (120.16 KB)
Attachments: 5.jpg (133.05 KB)
Edited by bishpt, May 19 2013, 12:24 PM.

bishpt
[ *  * ]
Some shots from the western end showing lack of features along trenches
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 2.jpg (127.27 KB)
Attachments: 4.jpg (153.1 KB)
Attachments: 5.jpg (72.83 KB)
Attachments: 6.jpg (112.83 KB)
Attachments: 7.jpg (154.73 KB)
Attachments: 8.jpg (163.21 KB)
Attachments: 9.jpg (144.75 KB)
Edited by bishpt, May 18 2013, 11:08 AM.

bishpt
[ *  * ]
Some team photos,
Andy showing how it's done and Kate contemplating the meaning of life.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: f.jpg (120.34 KB)
Attachments: a.jpg (85.03 KB)
Attachments: b.jpg (102.61 KB)
Attachments: c.jpg (73.58 KB)
Attachments: d.jpg (87.02 KB)
Attachments: e.jpg (73.36 KB)
Edited by bishpt, May 18 2013, 11:25 AM.

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Great photos, thanks for posting.

charlie
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Today's digging was rather muggy, and the soil was quite soggy from the torrents of rain that plagued the land over the weekend. Quite a few interesting finds today, although the robbers trench that has been uncovered in the middle of the excavation leads to what I imagine is a rather large amount of hair=pulling amongst our brave supervisors. We also had a rather large plane fly fairly low to the site today (much to my delight.... see pictures below)

Here are some of the most recent (Same day fresh) photos of the excavation as well as Eddie, the resident warden at Hedley and true Scot, standing on his head over the Crag Lough on Hadrian's Wall, because why the hell not:

Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_03901.jpg (190.51 KB)
Attachments: IMG_28581.jpg (253.13 KB)
Attachments: IMG_28571.jpg (252.36 KB)
Attachments: PLANE.jpg (104.53 KB)

bishpt
[ *  * ]
As charlie mentioned, really strange weather day today but the good news was no interuptions so a full day of digging.
Maybe a good omen for the week.
We also celebrated Justin's birthday today with cake all round during the afternoon break.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: 1.jpg (133.34 KB)
Attachments: 2.jpg (143.11 KB)
Edited by bishpt, May 22 2013, 11:47 AM.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 2013 · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: