Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Escomb Saxon Church
Topic Started: Jun 3 2013, 03:09 PM (632 Views)
Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
Lovely pix of Escomb, one of my favourite Saxon churches...and I have seen a few!

The grave stones, however, are very unlikely to be Saxon! They didn't seem to use them, apart from Hogbacks and those take the form of a hog's back with most patterned like the roof of a house. The most northern one can be found in Scotland, alongside Loch Lomond in the churchyard at Luss, and the rest are found mainly in England.

These look like late medieval grave stones, if that is what they were. Very crudely done.

Your photo that didn't come out was a carving of 'LEG VI' for the 6th Roman Legion. And yes, Binchester (Vinovium) Roman fort is not very far away from Escomb.

Just to check my info, I looked up a very useful website: http://greatenglishchurches.co.uk/html/escomb.html

Edited by Malise McGuire, Jun 9 2013, 11:41 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Malise McGuire
Malise McGuire
[ *  * ]
Ah, come on, Snowglobe, we're all Saxon descent! :D

What Sunny was saying was 'that the gravestones were Saxon' which they aint. Please look at the link I put in. I did do my research before sending.......
Edited by Malise McGuire, Jun 9 2013, 11:44 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply