Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

From Aug 2006 - Nov 2013 WeDig provided a live forum for diggers & fans of Vindolanda. It has now been mothballed and will be maintained as a live archive.

Here you will find preserved 7 years of conversation, photos, & knowledge about a site many people love. Vindolanda gets under the skin. (Figuratively and literally as a volunteer excavator!) It's a place you remember, filled with people you remember!

Thanks for 7 great years!

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hardknott roman fort; Side trip
Topic Started: Aug 23 2013, 10:25 AM (515 Views)
snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I found myself working in Eskdale this month (a tough job but someone had to do it!) so visited Hardknott roman fort, such a dramatic location high above the valley floor and well worth a visit

A view of the NE corner tower, no lower doorway so possibly entered from the rampart. England's highest peaks Scafell & Scafell pike behind
Posted Image

The east gate with pivot hole in stone
Posted Image

The bath house
Posted Image

Looking east with Harter fell in the background, the fort and parade ground. The work to clear this area must have been hard work
Posted Image

Watch for the carnivorous Sundew (Drosera) plants growing in the fort ditch
Posted Image

Any diggers passing through the lakes feel free to get in touch I'm always up for a hike.
Edited by snowglobe, Aug 23 2013, 10:43 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

snowglobe
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
I've been working again down the Eskdale valley and took this image during a cloud free climb of Harter fell. The parade ground is top right and the bath house centre right by the road.

Posted Image

Samian pot rim found in a stream bed below the fort, thanks to Stuart Noon from the portable antiquities scheme for recording the find.
Posted Image
Edited by snowglobe, Oct 1 2013, 05:35 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · The Pub · Next Topic »
Add Reply