Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Justin Blake's official Vindolanda excavation Twitter feed

Unless otherwise noted, all plans below are unofficial interpretations only.
They are meant to help orient diggers & friends.
They are not designed to scale, nor to imply archaeological accuracy.

Welcome to We Dig Vindolanda!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Session 11; The last Cohort 26th Aug to 6th Sept
Topic Started: Aug 25 2013, 11:26 AM (1,486 Views)
Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Thanks Pete, can you give us access to full size versions? I'd love to see these in more detail because there's various bits there that I was working on in July.

Also, a great relief to hear that "Robber Trench II" is looking to be much narrower than the first one (mentioned in Justin's tweet today). Possibly similar volume of earth disturbed in each of them, but it was looking like the new one might be significantly bigger.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Forgot to mention in the email that the top five pics would be great. Much as I like Justin (great name after all), I think I can forego the high res shot of him. B)

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Still hoping to see something from Justin or a final video blog on the Trust site. The combination of tweets and vlogs this year gave a really excellent running "commentary" on the digging season, hoping to see the same coverage in 2014!

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
Andy just posted a description of season in general on the Trust's blog (video blog promised to come).

Something he described as being one of the finest finds of the season was one I hadn't heard about before, a "nail cleaning strap end with Christian iconography". Were there some pictures or additional descriptions of this that I missed? Sounds pretty interesting, especially if it was found in association with the possible apse & building in the SE corner of the trench.
Edited by Justin-T, Sep 19 2013, 09:28 AM.

Justin-T
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
There's a post today on the Trust's blog with a picture and description of this fascinating find. It must have made an excavator's day when they found it! One of those finds that really seems to bring to life the people living at the site 1500 years ago.

« Previous Topic · 2013 · Next Topic »
Add Reply