Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

WE WANT A FAIR GO FOR OUR AREA, MORE OPPORTUNITIES AND MORE THAN 4 NRL GAMES AT CAMPBELLTOWN STADIUM

June 28 - Wests Tigers v Canberra - Campbelltown Stadium -
Welcome to the unofficial Wests Supporter Forum.
We have made a place to talk all things Rugby League in the Macarthur, Liverpool and Southern Highlands districts.

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

For non members, Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.
Join Wests Supporter Forum!

If you find any content on this forum offensive please email a moderator at galahs.australia@gmail.com

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Gold Coast Gladiators; Giants >Seagulls >GLADIATORS >Chargers >Titans
Topic Started: Sep 12 2007, 12:27 PM (3,979 Views)
galahs
Member Avatar
State of Origin
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Sevens Plate Championship Final, Sunday 4th February 1996.
Gold Coast Gladiators 14 (C Orr, Brendan Hurst, P Latta tries;
D Webber goal) beat
Western Suburbs Magpies 6 (D Burns try; Andrew Leeds goal).

As you can see, the Wests Magpies lost the World Sevens Plate Final to the Gold Coast GLADIATORS

After Gold Coast were the Sea Gulls they were the Gladiators for a short period in the pre season on 1996 under their new owner Jeff Muller

The ARL then took the club off him and made them the Chargers before the main season begun..

Does anybody have any pictures of the Gladiators playing strip or club logo used in the World Sevens in 1996.

Was the plate final filmed?

I have looked all over the place for them.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

galahs
Member Avatar
State of Origin
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The club was taken over by the Seagulls Leagues club in February 1989, and for 1990 they dropped 'Tweed' from their name and changed their nickname and playing strip. The arrangement lasted until the end of 1995, when the club grew tired of the lack of on field success and withdrew their support.

Local millionaire businessman Jeff Muller stepped in to take over the license, moving the team to Carrara and changing their name to the Gladiators (although many others were suggested). Two months of controversy ensued, mostly brought about by Muller's interference in the day-to-day running of the club. (It was reported that his wife has ordered the selection of players for the first grade side on the attractiveness of their 'butts'.) During Muller's reign the club went through a succession of chief executives and first grade coaches, but they also won their first ever major trophy, the World Sevens Plate. In the end the ARL kicked him out and took over the running of the club themselves.

Henson Park Hornets
Ball Boy
[ * ]
There is a pic of the Gladiators in the Summer edition of RLW that came out this week celebrating their victory over Wests.

The picture isn't very clear and is in black and white so can't really tell what the colours are and the badge isn't clear either....... But the sponsor is clear and it shows the style of the jersey, very similar to the Chargers jersey but I think it was only two colours.

galahs
Member Avatar
State of Origin
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I met a bloke at the presentation night that claims he has a picture of the logo.

Now its up to Mr Archivistcraig to convince him to give it to me :agree:

archivistcraig
Member Avatar
The Wests Archives
[ *  *  * ]
SAY WHAT?

galahs
Member Avatar
State of Origin
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
You heard! :P

Get Georgie boy on the case. :D

archivistcraig
Member Avatar
The Wests Archives
[ *  *  * ]
ASK GEORGE HE WILL GIVE TO ME WHEN I SEE HIM NEXT. :cstars:

KellyCodyHornery
Club Footy
[ * ]
As Henson Park Hornets states, that photo on page 40 of the RLW 2008 Preview indicates the style and colours of the Gladiators jersey appears to be similar to the Chargers jersey. However, the logo/emblem is quite different.

There is also an article underneath the photo and Jeff Muller is interviewed. The article incorrectlly refers to the team as the Chargers. Shortly after Muller was dumped his wife Lyn walked into the football office while a boardroom meeting was being held and walked away with the plate, which is still on display in the Muller's Gold Coast home.

galahs
Member Avatar
State of Origin
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
:laughing:

Can anyone scan in a copy of the article / jersey / logo?

KellyCodyHornery
Club Footy
[ * ]
Galahs,

My mate has just brought back the Rugby League Week magazine unscathed after two weeks in Bangkok.

I've got no idea how to scan the Gladiators article and post it on this website but I'd be more than happy to send you a copy of the article.

galahs
Member Avatar
State of Origin
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Awesome!

You have a PM :)

galahs
Member Avatar
State of Origin
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Here's the photo that KellyCodyHornery kindly sent me.

Posted Image

galahs
Member Avatar
State of Origin
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

galahs
Member Avatar
State of Origin
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Does any body know where I can get Jeff Mullers email address?

galahs
Member Avatar
State of Origin
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I have the holy grail in my finger tips...

Posted Image

with a bit of tweaking with Photoshop I got it to this...

Posted Image

My first real glimps of the Gladiators logo.

Thanks to George for getting his hands on the 1997 Coca Cola World Sevens program :correct:

galahs
Member Avatar
State of Origin
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A team to call their own
Brad Walter | March 17, 2007

When Titans chairman Paul Broughton reflects on his eight-year-long struggle to get a Gold Coast team back in the NRL, he can't help but wonder what might have been if the previous incarnation had survived.

At the end of the Super League war in 1997, the Chargers - as the ARL-operated Gold Coast club was then known - were offered a guaranteed five-year licence if they they accepted a merger with the News Ltd-created Hunter Mariners. The proposal was rejected and Brett Kimmorley, Scott Hill, Richard Swain, Robbie Ross, Paul Marquet and John Carlaw were, instead, sent to Melbourne, where they helped the Storm to an historic premiership win just two seasons later.

"I often look back and think how much the whole rugby league landscape would have changed if that merger had of happened," Broughton said on the eve of the Titans' first premiership game tomorrow at Suncorp Stadium against St George Illawarra. "Having four internationals certainly would have made us secure but the reverse of that is that Melbourne probably wouldn't have survived and I genuinely believe that would have been to the detriment of the game."

Back then, the board of the Chargers - the fourth name change since the Giants entered the premiership in 1988 along with Brisbane and Newcastle - included just two directors who lived on the Gold Coast. The rest were either from Sydney or Brisbane, including the chairman Tom Bellew, who also quashed a merger with the QRL-owned South Queensland Crushers, who played out of Suncorp Stadium - leading to the demise of both clubs in successive seasons as part of the Super League peace deal to reduce the 22 teams in the rival competition to 14.

"What's happened over the past eight years of not having a team in the NRL is that the community has demanded one," Broughton said. "That had never happened before on the Gold Coast. When Christopher Skase wanted an AFL team, he bought the licence and started one and it was the same with Mark Kornhauser and the Rollers in basketball and Dave Nilsson in baseball. The ARL wanted to counteract News Ltd so they formed a rugby league club none of those franchises were ever community driven."

Broughton, whose involvement in rugby league stretches back 55 years ago to his playing debut with St George and includes coaching stints at the Dragons, Newtown and Balmain, initially went to the Gold Coast as an ARL troubleshooter in the 1996 pre-season to investigate concerns about the team's colourful new licencee, Jeff Muller. He still laughs about how then ARL chief executive John Quayle told him he would be summonsed back to Sydney when the time was right but no such phone call ever came. After revoking the licence of Muller, who went through five coaches during the three short months he had charge of the Gladiators and allegedly once signed a player because his wife liked the look of him, Broughton worked around the clock for five weeks to ensure the Chargers could field a team that season.

Remarkably, the club made the 1997 ARL finals and still had $2 million in the bank when withdrawn from the premiership at the end of the following season. Since then, he and former Gold Coast forward Michael Searle, who managed Chargers coach Phil Economidis, have worked just as hard to convince the NRL to re-instate a team in the area. At one stage, Searle says he was working 18 hours a day and the pair forced expansion onto the agenda of the NRL partnership committee in 2004 before getting the green light 12 months later.

"I really think that when they knocked us back in 2004 we wouldn't have been as ready then as we are now," Broughton said. "In fact, the way it's worked out everything that has happened over the past eight years has been for the better and this is going to be a great club now because of the very strong infrastructure that has had to be put in place."

galahs
Member Avatar
State of Origin
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Gold Coast

(formerly Gold Coast-Tweed)

Gold Coast-Tweed were one of the three teams admitted to the competition for 1988, along with Brisbane and Newcastle.

The club was taken over by the Seagulls Leagues club in February 1989, and for 1990 they dropped 'Tweed' from their name and changed their nickname and playing strip. The arrangement lasted until the end of 1995, when the club grew tired of the lack of on field success and withdrew their support.

Local millionaire businessman Jeff Muller stepped in to take over the license, moving the team to Carrara and changing their name to the Gladiators (although many others were suggested). Two months of controversy ensued, mostly brought about by Muller's interference in the day-to-day running of the club. (It was reported that his wife has ordered the selection of players for the first grade side on the attractiveness of their 'butts'.) During Muller's reign the club went through a succession of chief executives and first grade coaches, but they also won their first ever major trophy, the World Sevens Plate. In the end the ARL kicked him out and took over the running of the club themselves.

At the end of 1997 the South Queensland club ran into financial difficulties, and an attempt was made to merge them with the Chargers. However, the attempt failed.

* Ground: Carrara Stadium. Capacity: 18,000.
Formerly: Seagulls Stadium, Tweed Heads (1988-95).
* First Season: 1988.
* Nickname: The Chargers.
Formerly: The Giants (1988-89),
The Seagulls (1990-95),
The Gladiators (Feb 1996).
* Colours: Jade, purple, black and gold.
Formerly: light and dark blue (1988),
black, white and silver (1989),
white with black and red stripes (1990-95).
* Coach: Phil Economides.
* Representative Players 1996: nil.

Last Ten Years

PL WN DR LS BY FOR AGA DIF PTS PLACE
Coach: Bob McCarthy
1989 22 7 1 14 - 223 383 -160 15 14/16
1990 22 4 0 18 - 233 567 -334 8 15/16
Coach: Malcolm Clift
1991 22 2 1 19 - 240 492 -252 5 16/16
Coach: John Harvey
1992 22 6 1 15 - 288 423 -135 11* 16/16
1993 22 1 0 21 - 229 572 -343 2 16/16
1994 22 5 1 16 - 363 618 -255 11 15/16
1995 22 4 1 17 - 350 628 -278 9 17/20
Coach: Phil Economides
1996 22 5 1 16 - 359 521 -162 11 18/20
* 2 points deducted for a breach of the replacement rule.
1997 22 10 1 11 - 438 466 -28 21 7/12 6th
1998 24 4 0 20 - 289 654 -365 8 19/20

Honours -- Club

* Coca-Cola World Sevens (Plate): 1996.
* First Grade highest placing: 6th in 1997.
* Harold Matthews Shield: 1991.
Honours -- Players
o Club Internationals (2): Wally Lewis, Dale Shearer.
First Grade Records
o Single Match:
+ Most tries: 4--Shane Russell v Wests, 8 Mar 1997; 3--Danny Peacock v Penrith, 28 May 1995.
+ Most goals: 8--Brendan Hurst v South Queensland, 21 Jul 1996; 6--Mike Eden v Easts, 29 Apr 1989; Mike Eden v Manly, 2 Jul 1989; Wayne Bartrim v Easts, 27 Aug 1994.
+ Most points: 20--Wayne Bartrim (2T,6G) v Balmain, 31 Jul 1994; Brendan Hurst (1T,8G) v South Queensland, 21 Jul 1996; 17--Mike Eden (1T,6G,1FG) v Manly, 2 Jul 1989; 16--Mike Eden (1T,6G) v Easts, 29 Apr 1989; Craig Weston (2T,4G) v Souths, 21 Jun 1992; Wayne Bartrim (1T,6G) v Easts, 27 Aug 1994.
+ Attendance at Carrara Stadium: 22,688 v Brisbane, 18 Mar 1994.
+ Attendance at Seagulls Stadium: 13,423 v Brisbane, 8 May 1988. (A crowd of 13,900 watched the Wally Lewis Celebrity Challenge, 19 Sep 1992).
o Season:
+ Most tries: 14--Danny Peacock, 1995; 10--Wayne Bartrim, 1994; 8--Scott Mieni, 1988; Lee Oudenryn, 1996.
+ Most points: 124--Wayne Bartrim (10T,42G) 1994; 107--Brendan Hurst (3T,47G,1FG) 1996; 90--Brendan Hurst (2T,41G) 1995; 79--Mike Eden (1T,36G,3FG) 1988.
o For club:
+ Most tries: 28--Danny Peacock, 1991-95; 18--Wayne Bartrim; 15--Jamie Goddard*; 12--Ben Gonzales; 11--Brett French; 10--Mark Ross.
+ Most points: 224--Wayne Bartrim (18T,76G); 197--Brendan Hurst* (5T,88G,1FG); 142--Mike Eden (4T,61G,4FG); 112--Danny Peacock (28T); 104--Peter Benson (8T,36G).
+ Most appearances: 82--Brett Horsnell, Clinton Mohr; 77--Wayne Bartrim; 72--Robert Simpkins; 68--Peter Gill; 67--Chris Close, Danny Peacock; 61--Billy Johnstone; 58--Ben Gonzales; 56--Geoff Bagnall, Terry Cook, Ron Gibbs.
o Best wins: 52-4 v South Queensland, Suncorp Stadium, 21 Jul 1996; 38-12 v Souths, Sydney Football Stadium, 5 Aug 1990; 32-6 v Balmain, Seagulls Stadium, 31 Jul 1994; 29-6 v Manly, Seagulls Stadium, 2 Jul 1989; 28-6 v Souths, Seagulls Stadium, 25 Mar 1995.
o Worst losses: 56-6 v Canberra, Bruce Stadium, 13 Aug 1995; 46-0 v Manly, Brookvale Oval, 15 Aug 1993; 46-0 v Cronulla, Caltex Field, 5 Jun 1994; 50-6 v Canberra, Bruce Stadium, 17 Apr 1988; 46-2 v Balmain, Seagulls Stadium, 23 Jun 1990; 48-4 v Canberra, Bruce Stadium, 22 May 1993; 50-6 v Newcastle, Marathon Stadium, 22 Aug 1993.
o First Grade Coaches: Bob McCarthy (1988-90), Malcolm Clift (1991), Wally Lewis (1992-93), John Harvey (1994-95), various (early 1996), Phil Economides (1996-present).

galahs
Member Avatar
State of Origin
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ha, what do you know. My work is on display here... http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-league/gold-coast-titans/old-gladiator-backs-the-titans-20100922-15mv5.html

Quote:

Old gladiator backs the Titans
Phil Lutton
September 23, 2010

On one hand, it seems strange that Jeff Muller has never been to Suncorp Stadium.

For someone barking mad about rugby league - mad enough to part with $4 million to buy a team - you would think it would be one of his more regular haunts.

On the other, it makes perfect sense.
Advertisement: Story continues below

The property tycoon, incurable entrepreneur and Gold Coast rugby league maverick has always voraciously flown the flag for his beachside paradise.

Brisbane was a place to catch planes, not to watch league, especially if it involved the Broncos and, for the most fleeting time, you bankrolled their local rivals.

The success of this season's Gold Coast Titans, who play the Sydney Roosters on Friday for a place in the NRL grand final, has sent scribes trawling through the history books to pen backgrounders on the rise, fall and eventual conquest of the code on the glitter strip.

As a result, Muller's phone is starting to heat up.

His legendary stint as the flamboyant, mullet-mopped owner of the Coast franchise in 1996 flashed and faded like a supernova but it remains one of the most memorable chapters the game has witnessed.

"I'm rapt," Muller said from his luxury Burleigh abode about the success of the Titans.

"I'm rapt that my vision of a Gold Coast team a team they should never have taken off us in the first place is doing so well.

On the Gold Coast, before Clive Palmer, there was Jeff Muller.

At the end of 1995, with the Super League war in full flight, the Gold Coast Seagulls lost their major backer in the Seagulls Leagues Club and its lucrative battery of pokies.

Facing the prospect of no team in the region, Muller came to the rescue, taking over the licence, putting 43 acres of beachfront land on the line as security, moving the club to Carrara and giving life to the Gold Coast Gladiators, the third name (after the Giants and Seagulls) in nine years for a Coast side.

"We brought them to Carrara, we brought them to the Gold Coast [from northern NSW]. I wanted them as a Gold Coast team and I got them as a Gold Coast team," Muller said.

Three months, a World Sevens pre-season title, a handful of chief executives, five coaches and some court battles later and Muller's licence would be revoked by the ARL.

They moved in to administer the club, this time called the Chargers, which duly folded at the end of 1998 with $2 million still in the coffers.

Rugby league hadn't seen anything like the whirlwind dalliance.

Legend has it that Muller's wife Lyn even helped pick the side based on the presentation of player's posteriors, although the man himself says that's an urban myth.

"That was just bullshit, excuse the expression," Muller says.

"She didn't pick the team she actually did the jerseys. When we walked onto that stadium, the crowd went berserk with the colours. It was fantastic. Something different; the colours, the design."

Muller had always firmly believed there was the talent on the Gold Coast to make it a dominant football heartland.

His sons were good players, making regional teams, and his exposure to that young talent pool convinced him the code was destined to flourish, as long as it was pushed in the right direction.

Then one day, he found himself with the keys to a team.

With a legion of doubters and a Gladiators squad cobbled together from local kids and offcuts from other clubs, the Gold Coast upset Western Suburbs 14-6 in the Plate final of the World Sevens at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Photos of Muller running onto the field, kissing players and the occasional reporter, graced back pages across the country but there was to be a melancholy epilogue to his early breakthrough.

"The next day, at 3pm, [the ARL] took the licence off me," Muller says.

He likes to believe the Titans of tomorrow night can trace at least a small part of their DNA back to that Sevens victory, the only time any club from the Gold Coast has hoisted some silverware.

The jerseys from that day and the Gladiators logo have since become collector's items.

"I just knew we had the talent here. It used to be one team at Burleigh. Now in the one grade, there are about eight teams in the one age group. It's a dream come true, to be honest [the Titans]," Muller says.

"But if we hadn't have won the plate that day and had that success ..."

In the greatest tradition of sports team owners, Muller's brilliantly entertaining reign didn't do any favours to his bottom line.

Still, any lingering resentment he may have had for the game has long since been washed away by the calming waves outside his door and the subsequent success of the current tenants of Skilled Park.

Tomorrow, there is even the chance he will make his first trip to Suncorp Stadium, the scene of so many historic moments in rugby league.

For the Gold Coast, another chapter is waiting to be written.

"I'm their number one supporter. I believe the Gold Coast is the Gold Coast. I don't care what they call the team. They'll always be a team I brought to the Gold Coast," Muller says.

"It would be the biggest thrill of all time to see them make the grand final. There would be no ifs, buts or maybes if they made it.

"I'm due to go overseas but if they made the grand final, I'd cancel it. I'll be taking the whole family down.

"My only real prayer is that because we are a Queensland team now, I hope every single Queenslander gets behind them. Please support them. Come on. Give it a go and get behind them."

As for Muller, once a dreamer, always a dreamer. His latest venture - Ultimate Football - a hybrid code being promoted by the likes of Robbie O'Davis, Trevor Hendy, John Hopoate and Brett Kenny begins trials on the Coast next week.

galahs
Member Avatar
State of Origin
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A video clip on the history of the Gold Coast Rugby League teams in the build up to the re-introduction of a new team, the Titans in 2007.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbmyO7DTwUc

galahs
Member Avatar
State of Origin
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Some videos of Jeff Muller wearing a Gold Coast Gladiators jersey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmpVQfAYKyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN-iMXv1_zo

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Wests History · Next Topic »
Add Reply

www.wests.co.nr is an unofficial forum run by volunteer Rugby League Supporters
Posts, messages, views, expressions or opinions on this forum DO NOT represent the official view of ANY Football Club.

Free Domains Hosting at .co.nr