Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

WE WANT A FAIR GO FOR OUR AREA, MORE OPPORTUNITIES AND MORE THAN 4 NRL GAMES AT CAMPBELLTOWN STADIUM

Want to talk all things Wests? Click here for our Facebook Page
Locked Topic
2010 Season; Combined Competition
Topic Started: Jan 4 2010, 06:44 PM (37,331 Views)
Highlander
Member Avatar
NRL
[ *  *  *  * ]
Group 6 will go it alone
13 Oct, 2010 01:00 AM
THE Group 6/Wests Combined Competition has been cancelled after the country teams voted unanimously last Tuesday to give the Campbelltown teams the boot.
Group 6 president Grahame Andrews said the decision from all 13 Group 6 clubs, the referees' association and junior association was partially based on disagreements over off-field behaviour.

"We've decided we no longer want to continue with the combined venture," Andrews said.

"There've certainly been some grievances. There have been some dramatic differences of opinion in off-field behaviour.

"There are some incidents that we don't feel have been treated properly off field."

At the Group 6 grand finals at Campbelltown Stadium last month, a brawl broke out between 40 people.

A Bringelly man, 23, a Narellan man, 24, a Ruse man, 32, and a Mount Annan man, 20, were arrested and police forced another 30 people out of the stadium for being drunk and disruptive.

Andrews said brawls such as this had not been a catalyst and there had been several reasons for the Group 6 decision.

"There's no chance of returning to the status quo now," he said.

"It's over. We've got to build our competition."

He said they had fought hard to get the combined competition started and that there had been some good outcomes from the joint venture.

"It's certainly benefited our first grade competition combining with the Wests," Andrews said.

The chief executive of Western Suburbs District Junior Rugby League, Julie Luke, said they hoped Group 6 would reverse their decision.

"This outcome is very disappointing and we're particularly saddened for all our clubs who have competed over the past two seasons and who have worked tirelessly to build the competition into by far and away the largest senior rugby league competition in NSW," she said.

Luke said they had met representatives of the NSW Rugby League and Country Rugby League and had been told both would be set to fund an independent manager for the competition's continuance, supported by three representatives each from Western Suburbs clubs and Group 6 clubs.

They held a meeting with Wests clubs on Monday night.

"Our clubs unanimously supported the continuance of the combined competition with Group 6," she said. "We now wait on the outcome of CRL discussions with Group 6 in relation to season 2011."

She said if Group 6 did not change their stance, Wests Juniors would have a stand-alone senior competition next year.


Offline Profile Goto Top
 
E.A.S.T CTWN
Member Avatar
Club Footy
[ * ]
Very interesting indeed, was this an article in the paper??
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
E.A.S.T CTWN
Member Avatar
Club Footy
[ * ]
All Saints, you seem to be in the know, who was the rep from Monday's meeting, was he from NSWRL, my understanding is that this chap from from NSWRL Academy, and a very negative rep from West's Tigers from what i hear, is this correct?

Does anyone know what the West's board have learnt, or are we going to be kept in the dark?

The article above indicates it was off field things that promted the decision, one is stated as the brawl at Stadium, what was the other?

Offline Profile Goto Top
 
Black&White
Member Avatar
NRL
[ *  *  *  * ]
COLLIES
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
Highlander
Member Avatar
NRL
[ *  *  *  * ]
E.A.S.T CTWN
Oct 13 2010, 12:33 PM
Very interesting indeed, was this an article in the paper??
Yep Found it online

wollondilly advertsier
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
E.A.S.T CTWN
Member Avatar
Club Footy
[ * ]
I thought as much, i also hear that all the vibe in the room on Monday was to be positive, well i guess here's a chance for west's to lead the way, let everyone know why they have not dealt with collies, and i do not believe for one moment that due to alleged charges being laid that you just let it go!!!!!
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
tc6_11
Member Avatar
NRL
[ *  *  *  * ]
E.A.S.T CTWN
Oct 13 2010, 12:40 PM
The article above indicates it was off field things that promted the decision, one is stated as the brawl at Stadium, what was the other?

It was off-field things that prompted management to propose to clubs to abolish the combined competition. But one of the determining factors was because of disagreements over the handling of the collies situation.
Group 6 could hardly say their decision was soley due to violence, being that one of their clubs was the main party in the GF brawl.
Just for clarification, i don't think any of the group 6 First Grade clubs had a problem with the Wests clubs. Sure you guys did not travel well, and the gates & canteen were down, but i don't know of any incidents.
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
Maverick
Member Avatar
NRL
[ *  *  *  * ]
[/quote]It was off-field things that prompted management to propose to clubs to abolish the combined competition. But one of the determining factors was because of disagreements over the handling of the collies situation.
Group 6 could hardly say their decision was soley due to violence, being that one of their clubs was the main party in the GF brawl.
Just for clarification, i don't think any of the group 6 First Grade clubs had a problem with the Wests clubs. Sure you guys did not travel well, and the gates & canteen were down, but i don't know of any incident

So Tc6 Were you one of the one's that voted us out even though you say that you, and none of the other G6 first grade clubs had a problem with the West's First Grade clubs?

Not a shot at you personally, but many comments from others saying "everybody" from G6 had a problem with Wests clubs being in the comp. And your comment would tend to disagree with that.
Edited by Maverick, Oct 14 2010, 08:27 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
Blue Devil
NRL
[ *  *  *  * ]
I find it hard to believe that All Saints and Maverick is so anti Group 6 Committee when we all seen them approach the group 6 board at the Group 6 Presentation night asking if the competition was to seperate that they take All Saints with them. I also find it hard to believe if the Wests comp was to go alone there players would want to play there, I know what our players are saying as they all voiced there concern on our Presentation night last Friday, it must be harder for All Saints when you have Cabra and Mounties to compete with! All I can say All Saints, don't dig a hole for your self, sorry don't dig any further!
Edited by Blue Devil, Oct 14 2010, 11:42 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
AllSaints
Member Avatar
Dancer
[ *  * ]
Blue Devil - All Saints JRLFC senior teams players, coaching staff and officials all want the merger to continue BUT if Group 6 clubs have voted us out to the tune of 29 votes to nil - things don't look good. If you know how to reverse the vote please give me your informed opinion. I'm just trying to put a positive vibe on the 2011 season if Wests have to go it alone rather than preach doom and gloom. No one at All Saints wants a 5 or 6 team nothing A grade as per prior to 2009. If Easts have plans to get around the demerger and try and play in Group 6 good luck to them - with the hard work put in by the Easts club and the position of strength that they have achieved they probably should play in the Group 6 competition as it will always be at a higher standard than Wests. If Wests go it alone maybe you could field teams in both competitions as Easts have plenty of players. However, at Liverpool it will not be possible to physically up and move out of the Campbelltown/Liverpool catchment. We have done it tuff for years with Mounties and Cabra across the road. Attacking the Wests Board for what they did or didn't do isn't going to change that 29-0 vote.
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
Maverick
Member Avatar
NRL
[ *  *  *  * ]
Blue Devil
Oct 14 2010, 11:40 AM
I find it hard to believe that All Saints and Maverick is so anti Group 6 Committee when we all seen them approach the group 6 board at the Group 6 Presentation night asking if the competition was to seperate that they take All Saints with them. I also find it hard to believe if the Wests comp was to go alone there players would want to play there, I know what our players are saying as they all voiced there concern on our Presentation night last Friday, it must be harder for All Saints when you have Cabra and Mounties to compete with! All I can say All Saints, don't dig a hole for your self, sorry don't dig any further!
Blue Devil or should I call you Red Devil :hey: . I am not a committee member nor did I attend the G6 presentation or meet any officials. My motives are simple, I want the best possible comp for the boys to play in. No more or no less. In my opinion the G6 comp is that. If we cant play there then I would see what the next best option is, and if Wests can provide that, then that would be the next best thing. In saying that Mounties, Cabra and Moorebank are always looking for players which would be a last resort for some and not even an option for others, but still an option.

I also don't try to tell the boy's (sorry men) where they should or shouldn't play that is up to them. (and most of them couldn't care less about all the political stuff, just want to know where and when they can start playing again)

I also know that few people have done more for the local game than you have :clap: and you have not been treated with the respect you deserve by certain officials :angry: But I hope "somehow" you can get on with those people for the better of the district no matter which way it goes.
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
disco stu
Member Avatar
Country Origin
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
AllSaints
Oct 13 2010, 07:01 AM
Can those on this forum please advise the true state of Group 6 over the past ten years - has it been one of strength (as it is now) or a competition with two or three dominant clubs with floggings for the rest. I've been told it wasn't that healthy a few years ago.
The group 6 comp has always been strong :correct: but people seem to reflect on the one bad year the comp had back in 2008 .The unexpected loss of Goulburn leaving the comp at the end of 2007 really threw the comp into chaos as no body saw it coming and it backpedalled ever since, and a crazy last ditch attempt to get Appin as a replacement for them fell thru.But prior to that the comp was fairly stable, strong and competitive having 3 grades plus a 3rd grade/2nd division for most of the decade.It also attracted alot of ex NRL players to the comp over the years like Trevor Schodel,Andrew Willis,Darren Britt,Justin Brooker, Robert Mears etc so the comp itself was attractive and enticing enough for these players to come.Generally the bottom group 6 clubs was at least competitive with the form teams of any given year and weren't too many blowout scorelines.

Over the past decade there hasnt really been any dominant teams but there has been consistant teams like Thirlmere,Picton and Oakdale. Camden & Narellan were strong at the start of the decade but slowly weakend towards the close of the decade, mid decade Goulburn were strong and towards the end Moss Vale became more than competitive.

Dominance and Consistencey has a very fine line, just ask Narellan in 2005 who where minor premiers and were red hot favourites to take the title but got flogged by 60 points by Picton in the grand final qualifier. :agree:
Edited by disco stu, Oct 14 2010, 03:11 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
Highlander
Member Avatar
NRL
[ *  *  *  * ]
in 2008 there was a 7 team DNC cup with clubs like Appin, Bowral re forming after long lay offs and Robertson returning from group7 not to mention that year there where 2 u/18s competitions aswell. I wouldnt say it was a bad year more a rebuilding year!! as Mittagong and the Oaks have rebuilt from there and my mail is Appin are looking to return to 3 grades nexst year aswell.
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
disco stu
Member Avatar
Country Origin
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Highlander
Oct 14 2010, 04:14 PM
in 2008 there was a 7 team DNC cup with clubs like Appin, Bowral re forming after long lay offs and Robertson returning from group7 not to mention that year there where 2 u/18s competitions aswell. I wouldnt say it was a bad year more a rebuilding year!! as Mittagong and the Oaks have rebuilt from there and my mail is Appin are looking to return to 3 grades nexst year aswell.
"Bad" I probably meant not as strong and diverse compared to previous years , this was evident with the Group 6 rep side that year mainly consisting of Oakdale & Thirlmere players. Yes DNC cup thrived and clubs had a foundation to work upwards from but the grade competition suffered as a result.An underprepared Narellan side being pushed up from dnc cup as the 6th team to cover for Goulburns departure, and the quality of games was a bit substandard IMO. People guage the strength and quality of the competition on the first grade teams competitng not 3rds and was moreso the case being the centenary of league year which is why it was more noticeable.
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
tc6_11
Member Avatar
NRL
[ *  *  *  * ]
It was off-field things that prompted management to propose to clubs to abolish the combined competition. But one of the determining factors was because of disagreements over the handling of the collies situation.
Group 6 could hardly say their decision was soley due to violence, being that one of their clubs was the main party in the GF brawl.
Just for clarification, i don't think any of the group 6 First Grade clubs had a problem with the Wests clubs. Sure you guys did not travel well, and the gates & canteen were down, but i don't know of any incident

So Tc6 Were you one of the one's that voted us out even though you say that you, and none of the other G6 first grade clubs had a problem with the West's First Grade clubs?

Not a shot at you personally, but many comments from others saying "everybody" from G6 had a problem with Wests clubs being in the comp. And your comment would tend to disagree with that. [/quote]I can't speak for any other G6 clubs,
but I know why our 2 board members voted the way they did, and it was not because of the clubs, it was because of admin.
You can't have 2 admininistrations running 1 comp.
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
Black&White
Member Avatar
NRL
[ *  *  *  * ]
tc6_11
Oct 14 2010, 08:03 PM
it was because of admin.
You can't have 2 admininistrations running 1 comp.
The G 6 clubs' concerns about the comp and their objection to the merger over the last two years have been continually swept under the carpet by Group Management.

If the issue of Collies "free pass" behaviour-wise and tensions between the two management committees hadn't arisen this season then you could guarantee the merged comp would have continued.

But you can't have two chiefs competing with each other to run the village. It suits G6's management committee to "listen" to the clubs now. They have an AGM coming up as well.
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
Highlander
Member Avatar
NRL
[ *  *  *  * ]
tc6_11
Oct 14 2010, 08:03 PM
I can't speak for any other G6 clubs,
but I know why our 2 board members voted the way they did, and it was not because of the clubs, it was because of admin.

You can't have 2 admininistrations running 1 comp.
Ok With Wests new proposal would your club now vote differently??
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
Maverick
Member Avatar
NRL
[ *  *  *  * ]
Highlander
Oct 15 2010, 06:15 AM
tc6_11
Oct 14 2010, 08:03 PM
I can't speak for any other G6 clubs,
but I know why our 2 board members voted the way they did, and it was not because of the clubs, it was because of admin.

You can't have 2 admininistrations running 1 comp.
Ok With Wests new proposal would your club now vote differently??
That proposal would be to have 3 members from Wests, 3 members from group G6 and a paid independant arbitrator/chairman selected by CRL/NSWRL

If the issues above are your big problem, then would this not fix the issue?
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
saintb
Ball Boy
[ * ]
Highlander
Oct 15 2010, 06:15 AM
tc6_11
Oct 14 2010, 08:03 PM
I can't speak for any other G6 clubs,
but I know why our 2 board members voted the way they did, and it was not because of the clubs, it was because of admin.

You can't have 2 admininistrations running 1 comp.
Ok With Wests new proposal would your club now vote differently??
It was reported to us that wests proposed the new model with an independent administrator with committee reps from clubs to G6 management 9 months ago so you wonder if there is a hidden agenda going on here????
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
tc6_11
Member Avatar
NRL
[ *  *  *  * ]
Highlander
Oct 15 2010, 06:15 AM
tc6_11
Oct 14 2010, 08:03 PM
I can't speak for any other G6 clubs,
but I know why our 2 board members voted the way they did, and it was not because of the clubs, it was because of admin.

You can't have 2 admininistrations running 1 comp.
Ok With Wests new proposal would your club now vote differently??
This is where you would get my theoretical vote.
Any side that wants to play with us, come join our comp and ditch wests. SIMPLE.
Sorry, simple only in the logic, but the process is almost nigh impossible.
Offline Profile Goto Top
 
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · CRL Group 6 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic


www.wests.co.nr is an unofficial forum run by volunteer Rugby League Supporters
Posts, messages, views, expressions or opinions on this forum DO NOT represent the official view of ANY Football Club.

Free Domains Hosting at .co.nr