Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to BS Zelda. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Secret of the Fairy magic
Topic Started: Aug 16 2007, 01:48 AM (1,243 Views)
Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Where'd that Princess go?
Admin
As some of you guys may know, the Fairy Magic in AoL as several uses. First and foremost is reaching places out of reach. Then you can of course use it to avoid battles... but what some may not know, is that it can be used to fly through locked door's keyholes.

I don't think I need to say that this is awesome. However it also takes all the fun of exploring for keys out of the game. So, I wonder... can any of you guys think of a way this mechanic could again be implemented in a new Zelda game without making keys essentially unnecessary?
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Terra Branford
Member Avatar
Officially retired
Admin
I can't think of a clever way to use Fairy magic in a new Zelda game... I would say "Exploring new areas that are out of reach in the 3D environment"... but that can only really give you so much fun. Maybe it could help you in a village with nothing but fairies in it, who refuse to talk to outsiders or something?

Though it would be really nice to cheat a little bit with the magic to avoid having to use tools in some dungeons with all the aggro of trying to get through timed locks.
I'm officially retired from beta testing, and resign my duties to those who have the time to do it.

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Admin
Perhaps there's a misunderstanding here: I was asking specifically about the use of the fairy spell to go through keyholes.

To reword my question: can any of you guys think of some way Link could turn into a fairy, go through keyholes and still have need to find (most or all) keys? (This regardless of whther it's 2D or 3D)
Posted Image

Tuf Pic
Member Avatar
*The Thread Necromancer*!!!! :stalfos:
On a simmilar subject: I wish they had done a "BS Zeruda No Densetu: Rinku No Bouken", similar to what they did for Zeruda No Densetu and Zeruda No Densetu: Kamigami No Toirafasu. Now THAT would possibly allow for more uses for fairy magic.
My Viewpoints

"Nothing you can say will ever convince me that the Zelda, Link & Impa of OOTURA, ALTTPGBA, SC2, BSLOZ, & OOX are different characters, or that Link isn't part Kokiri, FOR SOME Zelda Universes and that the mangas aren't canon FOR SOME alternate realities."

Terra Branford
Member Avatar
Officially retired
Admin
Oh. When you put it that way... No. Short of limiting the magic you can use in game, or putting multiple key lock doors in succession, I can NOT think of a way to do this in any game. That's how they did it in AoL for Dungeon 6 IIRC... you had two locked doors in a row (across different screens, so you couldn't just fly on through both at once) and not enough magic to cheat through both.

Also... because I just remembered this... Fairy Link was NOT able to pick up power ups and items. Meaning you MUST have at least the key to the treasure you want to get, or you will have wasted your magic and failed to get the treasure. ^_^
I'm officially retired from beta testing, and resign my duties to those who have the time to do it.

Garrett
Member Avatar
Oracle
Well, there could be doors with magical locks (that fairies can't enter), or squeezing through the lock could drain the magic meter entirely, or things like that.

I can see I need to play AoL more... I don't even know how far I got. :P

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Admin
Thanks for the brainstorming session guys ^_^

Picman, Kamigami no Toraifosu is A Link to the Past without any changes... so if they did it like that, we'd have an 8 bit BS-X game not unlike the GBA port.
Much more awesome would have been a BS Zelda 2 - Hero of Light's Adventure.
Posted Image

coinilius
Member Avatar
Pickled in time, like gherkins in a jar
Like Garrett mentioned, magical locks would be a way to go to prevent you from flying through them as a fairy. I could also see the skill being used not so much in dungeons but in more of a storyline manner - your ability to slip through small spaces could be helpful in those stealth sections they seem to love foisting on us in every game these days.

So to that end, perhaps squeezing through key holes could be removed, but other forms of small passageways that only Fairy Link can enter could be incorporated - cracks in the walls, slightly ajar windows etc.
"You must be talking about Heaven... or the moon."

"It's a dog eat dog world... and there's not enough dog to go around."

Posted Image

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Admin
I thought about that, but it'd never be as awesome as keyholes... unfortunately, there's no way a Zelda game could have something requiring you to be not in Fairy for behind every door (and a dead end so that you can't turn back and return there), so I guess there's no way to make it work.
Posted Image

Terra Branford
Member Avatar
Officially retired
Admin
Well like I said... at least in instances where you have a treasure to get behind a locked door, that would keep you from using it to avoid having to get keys before getting important treasures.

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Admin
My buddy Jumbie came up with the perfect solution to this dilemma: to have alternatively the standard locked doors and doors that as in some of the 3D games (like TP) are sealed by chains and a padlock.

It would not be possible to fly through that :)
Posted Image

Terra Branford
Member Avatar
Officially retired
Admin
THAT would be a good idea. Though I'm still wondering... what does Link do with the chains that come off the doors he unlocks? Why do they retract into the door frame? Enquiring Tre wants to know!

coinilius
Member Avatar
Pickled in time, like gherkins in a jar
Hyrulean enginering at its finest ;)
"You must be talking about Heaven... or the moon."

"It's a dog eat dog world... and there's not enough dog to go around."

Posted Image

Terra Branford
Member Avatar
Officially retired
Admin
I suppose if they can have strobe lights, then they can have retractable chains on doors. Still kind of weird to me.

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Admin
Personally, I never really gave it much thought. I looked at it as a "they get out of the way, that's all" thing, not as a technological wonder.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Legend of Zelda Series · Next Topic »
Add Reply