Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to BS Zelda. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Step-by-step ROM loading instructions.; For SNESGT and BSNES.
Topic Started: Apr 25 2008, 03:18 AM (6,279 Views)
KiddoCabbusses
Member Avatar
The overly enthused BS-X nerd.
Duke apparently had me realize that I'm not very clear on my own instructions for loading ROMs using these emulators, so I will make a new thread for this to draft something I hope will be useful for the rest of the community.

My first guide is for loading what seem to be "clean" BS-X Live Broadcast ROMs into SNESGT. These may not apply to "hacked" ROMs, such as our BS Zelda hacks, if they were hacked for support for emulators which did not perform BS-X functions. This has, however, been tested to work with the following ROMs:

1) The "Original" .sfc file of BS Zelda Map 1, Week 3.
2) All three BS Tantei Club weeks
3) BS Excitebike: Bun Bun Mario Stadium
4) the Live Broadcast BS F-Zero games (Although they still have a "Cannot clear a lap" glitch, which makes score accumulating impossible.)
5) BS Fire Emblem Akanea Senki Hen (Note that the original ROM has some behaviors which the hacks, which allow the games to run in other emulators, do not. For example, if your Lord is killed, the game reverts to the previous turn, rather than a complete reset.)
6) BS Marvelous (actually, at this point I've only checked Week 1 of Time Athletic course. IU assume the rest will have similar results, though. Tell me if it turns out different.)

The only Live Broadcast ROM that still does not work in it's original dump that I have tested of note is the BS Zelda AST originals.

Anyway, here it is.

First, you get SNESGT's and boot it up. If you don't know where to get SNESGT, then, uh, Google it? Oh, geez, do I have to do everyhting for you? Oh, wait, it's a step-by-step guide, of course I do! Well, here's the site!

http://gigo.retrogames.com/

Now read the rest when you've booted it up.

Posted Image

Before loading a BS-X ROM, you go to Options - > Settings. It should pop up a settings screen. Look to the left of it.

Posted Image - > There, click on "BS" and you'll see this menu. This is specifically for BS-X games.

The most important things to do here are to check "Use BSX-ROM" and have a BS-X BIOs linked to in the "BSX-ROM file". The BS-X BIOs is the very BIOs we have hosted in the BS Zelda Shrine. If this BIOs does not work for you, you may have to remove it's ROM header, but since I do not know if it's necessary for SNESGT (it -IS- for BSNES), I'll wait for my BSNES ROM load tutorial for more on that.

The other settings are to customize your experience. Out of preference, set the clock to the beginning of the hour, so that you see the entirety of the game's Live Broadcast. 7 minutes in may work for BS Zelda, but for BS Tantei Club and BS F-Zero, segments will be skipped.

"Boot from BS-X ROM" is for Download games and Magazines, as opposed to Live broadcast games. Note that some download games will not boot in this mode, and need to play without it.

"Save BSX Sram separately" makes individual sram saves for each BS-X game, as opposed to lumping them in a single file. For episodic live broadcast games, you might want this UN-checked so that data can more seamlessly transfer over.

Posted Image

After all these settings are configured, load a BS-X ROM as if it was a standard ROM file, and it should boot. Double check these instructions if it doesn't. If you still have questions, ask me them here, and I'll consider them when revising this.

BSNES download game ROM-loading and Slotted Cartridge ROM loading will be next.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KiddoCabbusses
Member Avatar
BTW, for a bit of a random observation, here's why the un-hacked AST does not work.

Posted Image

These corrupt graphics physically block your movement. For now, stick to our hack. :(

KiddoCabbusses
Member Avatar
Right. Now for BSNES.

BSNES can load some download games, but in particular, it has the ability to load games with "BS-X Slotted Cartridge" compatibility with "Data" cartridges. I'll cover both here. Note that if a download game does not seem to run with the BIOs, try without it. The BIOs is more for the BS-X experience, anyway.

Anyway, first off, BSNES is here.

http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/bsnes/

Now, before we do anything of note, let me get something put in your mind here right away.

BSNES will not load the BS-X bios if said BIOs has a ROM header. You will need to remove it if your bios has it. The BS-X Bios on our site has such a header, so it will need to be removed before going any further. Various ROM hacking guides should have ROM header removal tutorials, or you can use SNEStool or Ucon64 or whatever is your preference for such.

Now, AFTER this header has been removed, open the BSNES app.

Posted Image

On "file" you will see a "Load Special" option which has a submenu.

"Load BS-X Cartridge" is for loading a download game in conjunction with the BS-X Bios.

Posted Image

Put your bios on the top and the ROM on the bottom. Click "Load" and you'll kick into the BS-X Bios itself. I'll tell more on what to do after this after a bit, but it should be easy from here on out - when you go to the overworld, enter the house behind you, hit the first options, and there! Game loaded.

Now, the second optiong... What is "Load BS-X Slotted Cartridge", you ask?

Well, some games, instead of being downloads for the BS-X Bios to run, where store-bought cartridges that read data from a BS-X Memory pack. Most emulators, even when running the games, do not emulate this feature, but BSNES apparently does.

Before using this, note that, once again, the boot-up ROM should not have a header. If it does, remove it.

Posted Image

Now, here, select what you think is a game that used expansion data, and the expansion data itself, and try to load. For this example I used "Same Game" with "BS Same Game Koma Data".

You probably won't see any obvious signs of it working, but in the case of Same Game, loading it with the "Koma Data" ROM should let you play the game with some new themes, such as Bomberman and Bonk themes.

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Where'd that Princess go?
Admin
Wow, BSNES is more complicate than I imagined.

SNESGT on the other hand, turns out I couldn't get to work because I did not realize I was supposed to unzip the bios before browsing for it in the emulator ^_^'
Posted Image

KiddoCabbusses
Member Avatar
Hm.

Jeez, figures that in all my attempting to get this done, I just realized that my final picture for BSNES has the ROMs loaded in the wrong order.

The Koma Data is the slot cart. The Same Game ROM is the base. Shouldn't be the other way around. Apologies. I was in a rush.

I'll probably mock my own error later on.

Duke: Um... I totally forgot that some people are used to running ROMs straight from Zips. My bad, there. So, this means you got BS Marvelous to run now? I should check some Live games I didn't check yet, such as BS Shin Onigashima.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · BS-X · Next Topic »
Add Reply