Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to BS Zelda. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Lair of the Game Tiger; ...giving up.
Topic Started: Feb 11 2009, 11:49 PM (3,105 Views)
MadHatter
Member Avatar
Oracle
Well I'm officially giving up for now on a part of my mission. Recently I've been on a mad hunt for the last few Zelda-related Satellaview broadcasts (i.e. the ten relevant Game Tiger Digest Soundlink magazines and the four Nov-Dec 1998 News Reading Room items). To this, I've also added a hunt for the two Satellawalker-related Feb 1998 News Reading Room items, and the two Satellawalker-related Apr 1998 News Reading Room items. I've focused mainly on the Game Tiger Digest broadcasts because they are by far the coolest. They're actual ROMs for crying out loud. Anyway I've had absolutely no success in tracking them down, but I thought I'd share some of the material I ran into along the way to make the process easier for the next poor soul who ventures into these waters.

First of all, the Game Tiger Digest has undergone a number of changes in title through the years.
Here is a list of various names it has had:
*Apr 24-July 16, 1995 - Lair of the Game Tiger (ゲーム虎の大穴)
*Jul 17-Sep 3, 1995 - Lair of the Game Tiger Special (1) (ゲーム虎の大穴スペシャル(その1))
*Sep 6-Oct 29, 1995 - Lair of the Game Tiger Special (2) (ゲーム虎の大穴スペシャル(その2))
*Nov 1, 1995-Mar 30, 1996 - Lair of the Game Tiger Special (3) (ゲーム虎の大穴スペシャル(その3))
*Mar 21, 1996-Mar 29, 1997 - Game Tiger Super Sleeper (ゲーム虎の超大穴)
*Dec 30, 1997-Apr 4, 1998 - Game Tiger Super Sleeper (Special Edition) (ゲーム虎の超大穴(特別編))
*Mar 30, 1997-Mar 29, 1998 - Battle of the Tiger Maga (虎マガ大作戦)
*Mar 30, 1998-Apr 3, 1999 - Game Tiger Hallmark (ゲーム虎の太鼓判)
*Currently - Comic Art Asylum (コミックとらのあな) (see also the wiki-article)

As you can see there are periods of overlap when presumably two versions of the same magazine were being put out, but at any rate the Game Tiger Digests issued between Apr 24, 1995 and Apr 3, 1999 were done as Satellaview-downloadable Soundlink Magazines, and these are the ones that interest me.
Specifically of interest are:
*The Dec 29, 1996 Game Tiger Super Sleeper (part 1) - Containing the article entitled "BS The Legend of Zelda"
*The Mar 23, 1997 Game Tiger Super Sleeper (part 1) - Containing the article entitled "The Legend of Zelda"
*The Mar 30, 1997 Battle of the Tiger Maga (Issue #1) - Containing an article entitled "Program Guide (BS The Legend of Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets)"
*The Apr 6, 1997 Battle of the Tiger Maga (Issue #2) - Containing an article entitled "Program Guide (BS The Legend of Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets)"
*The Apr 13, 1997 Battle of the Tiger Maga (Issue #3) - Containing an article entitled "Program Guide (BS The Legend of Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets)"
*The Apr 20, 1997 Battle of the Tiger Maga (Issue #4) - Containing an article entitled "Program Guide (BS The Legend of Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets)"
*The Jul 19, 1998 Game Tiger Hallmark (Issue #17) - Containing the article entitled "Zelda E3 Was Here!"
*The Aug 30, 1998 Game Tiger Hallmark (Issue #23) - Containing the article entitled "The Legend of Zelda: New Information"
*The Sep 20, 1998 Game Tiger Hallmark (Issue #26) - Containing the article entitled "The Legend of Zelda: Color GB"
*The Oct 25, 1998 Game Tiger Hallmark (Issue #31) - Containing the article entitled "New Information GET! The Legend of Zelda"

Now, I have discovered that two Game Tiger Digest ROMs do exist commonly on emulation sites and such. These are:
*Game Tiger Hallmark #8 (referred to as either "BS Tora no Maki 5-17" or "BS Tora no Taikoban 5-17")
and
*Game Tiger Hallmark #10 (referred to as either "BS Tora no Maki 5-31" or "BS Tora no Taikoban 5-31")

Furthermore, rumors abound about the existence of :
*Game Tiger Hallmark #52 (usually called "BS Game Tora no Taikoban 3-21")
and
*Game Tiger Hallmark #53 (usually called "BS Game Tora no Taikoban 3-28")
In fact, a number of screenshots exist for Game Tiger Hallmark #53.

It appears that there was a 1999 website that specialized in providing "pirate" versions of these ROMs, and I would have been very interested in knowing which ones they had if only this wasn't the closest I could get...

As far as video is concerned, I've found copies of the May 3, 1995 Lair of the Game Tiger, and I also found a video of a copy of an unknown episode of Lair of the Game Tiger Special (1, 2, or 3) (this one is thanks to Kiddo)

And that pretty much is the extent of what I've accomplished. Absolutely nothing in the way of any Zelda-related material. With that I'll leave it up to the next historian to take up from where I left off. I haven't done thorough investigations for any volumes except the Zelda ones whose article names I listed above. Good luck to whoever wants to continue the search.

PS - one last scrap I found quite interesting. We've all, whether we admit it or not, at one point or another wished that Nintendo would just re-release some of these Satellaview-only games and versions and Ura episodes. We've all been hoping for Nintendo to come through for us but to no avail. Well it turns out that the makers of some of these games have signed a pact with the dark side and it looks like they've released some of the Satellaview material for PlayStation. My Japanese is very poor so it may be that these games were released for PlayStation concurrently with the Satellaview broadcasts or even before, but nonetheless...
An obscure game called The SFC Athena (アテナがSFC) was released for PlayStation and it looks like it contains versions of BS Monopoly and BS Dezaemon. For your viewing pleasure here are some links: link1 and link2.

Cheers, -MH
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KiddoCabbusses
Member Avatar
The overly enthused BS-X nerd.
If this helps you any - http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3187929
On here is another recording of the program (preceded by a seemingly different program)
Notably it seems like that specific episode is about an interview with Takahashi Meijin, Hudson's game-development celebrity.

I'll be looking up your bit on SFC Athena in a moment - it looks deliciously juicy!

EDIT:
The game referred to in RandnetDD's article seems to be able to be obtained on Amazon.jp for dirt cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%A2%E3%83%86...9/dp/B00005OUZ7

Searching "Monopoly PS" leads me to it's boxart - it's possible a version of Monopoly is indeed on there.
I can't find anything on Dezaemon being in this though - I do recall a Playstation Dezaemon release of some sort (It's been a multi-consoler from the beginning, it seems), but I'm not sure of any ties to the Satellaview content.

MadHatter
Member Avatar
Oracle
Yeah I'm not really sure about whether or not SFC Athena has the BS versions after all.
Compare Monopoly screenshots from:
SFC Athena Monopoly
BS Monopoly - Road to Boardwalk
SNES Monopoly
and
NES Monopoly
I'm not sure why I thought that was Satellaview-related.

I think Dezaemon may be on SFC Athena, though, due to what it says at the BioMetal article... But it's hard to translate. Maybe Athena SFC is just made by the same people who made Dezaemon or something...?

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Where'd that Princess go?
Admin
The Athena monopoly pic doesn't seem to work... server down?
Posted Image

MadHatter
Member Avatar
Oracle
Wow. I've been having bad luck with links recently.
Well here is a working link, but you have to scroll down a bit.

It's the 6th image under the words "POST CARD" (header reads: バンカース(モノポリもどき) which translates to something like "Banker's Trust (Monopoly clone)")

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Admin
Eh, I should just have copied the link and pasted it in the address bar. I think I did too much playtesting... and it's not over yet.
Posted Image

KiddoCabbusses
Member Avatar
MadHatter,Mar 22 2009
12:07 AM
Yeah I'm not really sure about whether or not SFC Athena has the BS versions after all.
Compare Monopoly screenshots from:
SFC Athena Monopoly
BS Monopoly - Road to Boardwalk
SNES Monopoly
and
NES Monopoly
I'm not sure why I thought that was Satellaview-related.

I think Dezaemon may be on SFC Athena, though, due to what it says at the BioMetal article... But it's hard to translate. Maybe Athena SFC is just made by the same people who made Dezaemon or something...?

I believe Athena is credited in all the Dezaemon games, if that helps you.

As for BS Monopoly - the gameplay is apparently based on the Japan-only "The Monopoly Game 2"

http://www.otakaraou.com/data/otakaraou/_/...70031343000.png - the screenshot even looks similar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monopoly_Game_2

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Admin
Oh Athena the software house, I thought it was Athena the SNK character...
Posted Image

KiddoCabbusses
Member Avatar
That gives a whole new meaning to "SFC Athena". One I'm not sure many would like.

... I'd prefer SFC King of Fighters.

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Admin
Did Athena the software house ever produce something that is actually noteworthy?
I can't remember.
Posted Image

MadHatter
Member Avatar
Oracle
They did some Dezaemon titles...
Otherwise no not really unless you're a mahjong person and let's be honest - who is?

KiddoCabbusses
Member Avatar
Right, so I guess we should move on to something else.

MadHatter, have you found anything on the supposed "BS Torneko no Daibouken"?

I noted it's appearance in the 7-minute Satellaview ad, but that is quite literaally the only thing I can find that references it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1uG0u1R4o

MadHatter
Member Avatar
Oracle
Hah. I've seen this video several times. As far as Satellaview ads I think it's one of the best. I may or may not have even ripped a copy for myself. But still I never noticed that before. For others who are lazy, the "BS Torneko no Daibouken" segment begins at 6:47.

I've actually done a little hunting for references to this game myself, but have been largely unsuccessful. Perhaps it was just an idea they were toying with that they eventually canceled? After all I don't think there's anything in the 7-second clip that doesn't appear in the normal Torneko no Daibouken, is there? Could this be the first confirmation of a canceled game for Satellaview? :lol: I think the most clue-filled portions of the video are the broadcast time shots at 2:36-2:37 (let's call this clip A), 2:37-2:40 (clip B ), 2:40-2:42 (C ), and 2:42-2:46 (D).

I started transcribing them to find what period of dates we're talking about here, and from what I can see it looks like this is from Aug. 1995 or later. Perhaps if we got a full trancription of those data tables we could better place "BS Torneko no Daibouken" temporally. I have to say I was complaining about transcribing/translating JPGs earlier... well this is even worse than that. For portions like clips B and D, the kanji is actually clearest when the video clip is playing, so this means many rewinds.

So far I transcribed clip A and the very start of clip B, but I really don't have the time right now to spend any more time with this. Here's what I have so far:

Clip A:
12:00 - 常勝麻雀 天牌 (対応カセット用テー
12:10 - 常勝麻雀 天牌 (対応カセット用テー
12:30 - ころんらんど 取説マガジン
12:40 - ころんらんど
13:00 - ピコピコパイレーツ 取説マガジン
13:10 - ピコピコパイレーツ
13:30 - ザ・心理ゲーム3 取説マガジン
13:40 - ザ・心理ゲーム3
14:00 - ジグソーゲーム 取説マガジン
14:10 - ジグソーゲーム
14:30 - 鮫亀マリオバージョン 取説マガジン
14:40 - 鮫亀マリオバージョン
15:00 - ガンガンガンチャン 取説マガジン

Clip B:
17:00 - 門田??マガジン (the ?'s = characters I can't read)
17:30 - ゲーム虎の大穴 マガジン
(17:30) - BSゼルダの伝説 ?び? マガジン (the ?'s = characters I can't read)
18:00 - BSゼルダの伝説

MH's notes:
1)Clip A, 14:30 & 14:40 - Who'd have thought, eh? :lol:
2)Clip B, (17:30) - the part in brackets doesn't show up on-screen, it's just blank but it's placed below the 17:30 Game Tora entry so I assume maybe it was the contents of that issue of Game Tora? Or maybe it was a "バグポタミア神殿"-type thing? Who knows. It really interests me, but I just can't make out the characters. Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. I fear the first "?" may simply be indecipherable but the second "?" looks to me like either "ん", "ち", "れ", or "カ". Any input on which of those seems closest would be great. Or if anyone has any other better ideas I'd love to hear what you think that means. It's BS Zelda-related so it should be of common interest to everyone here.
3)The Pasofami reference seems to suggest that:
"ころんらんど" was broadcast Aug 21, 1995
"ピコピコパイレーツ" was broadcast Aug 2, 1995
"ザ・心理ゲーム3" was broadcast Aug 5, 1995
"ガンガンガンチャン" was broadcast Oct 19, 1995
"ゲーム虎の大穴" was broadcast
"BSゼルダの伝説" was of course broadcast in Aug 1995
So it looks to me like we're definitely talking about a 1995 time-period for BS Torneko no Daibouken and this sadly falls without Kameb's tables so there's no way to verify. I would say this looks pretty strongly like Aug 1995 too except for "ガンガンガンチャン". I wonder if Pasofami lists the rerun or if all of the other games are reruns. I'm not sure which is more likely...

KiddoCabbusses
Member Avatar
As I haven't found any references to it whatsoever, and the standard game would be too large to fit on an 8M Memory Pack, I currently hold the theory that it was canned in favor of BS-ing it's successor, Fuurai no Shiren.

I really want that checked throughly, though.

MadHatter
Member Avatar
Oracle
I shouldn't be pessimistic, but I think you'd have to start bidding on Satellaview Tsushin or old Famitsu magazine auctions if you wanted any info directly on this issue. I feel like coverage a of canceled title is pretty obscure...

EDIT2: Clip D shows what looks to be the November 7 broadcast of RPGツクールBSくれくれ猛レース. From Kameb's site we can knock off 1996 and 1997 as being the year. We're left with 1995, 1998, and 1999. I'm leaning toward 1995.

EDIT:
More from Clip B:
20:30 - RPGツクールBSくれくれ猛レース 取説マガジン
20:40 - RPGツクールBSくれくれ猛レース
21:30 - カシノ二チブツ 取説マガジン
(21:30) - ゲーム虎の大穴 マガジン
21:40 - カシノ二チブツ
22:00 - パネルでポン 取説マガジン
(22:00) - リリー・フランキー劇場 (???)
22:30 - パネルでポン
(23:40) - NABAちゃんの音楽情報調査室

Any thoughts on the BS Zelda entry I mentioned above?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · BS-X · Next Topic »
Add Reply