Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to BS Zelda. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
BS-X Translation Project!; Kindly split off from the BS-X emulation topic
Topic Started: Jun 8 2010, 07:28 PM (10,089 Views)
Terra Branford
Member Avatar
Officially retired
Admin
Holy shock... that's a lot to reply to. Okay... here goes... Go-Go-Gadget Quotations!

Videogamer555,Jun 7 2010
09:11 AM
What would be REALLY nice would be an English patch for the BS-X BIOS ROM.

And I wonder if there'd be a way to emulate the Satelaview brodcast in an emulator so a selected game in the emulator would actually be "broadcast" into the emulated BS-X when you selected the receive transmitted game option in that menu.

Not to be a smarty pants... but aren't you the one who wants a fully "original broadcast without any fancy Gaijin magic!" restoration of BS Zelda Map 1/2 and AST? Wouldn't it be rather... unauthentic, to say the least... to play these "No Gaijin crap!" versions, on a HACKED BS-X Bios rom? :P

That said, I'd like to have it in English, because I don't care too much about trying to play games that I can't read (my copy of Phantasy Star Portable 2, sitting gathering dust can attest to that).

MadHatter,Jun 7 2010
06:21 PM
Videogamer555,Jun 7 2010
02:11 PM
What would be REALLY nice would be an English patch for the BS-X BIOS ROM.
KiddoCabbusses,Jun 7 2010
08:31 PM
Madhatter: Just to clear up what Option #4 says it does - from what I've tested it apparently actually clears the BS-X's SRAM. Not really sure what the point there is.
Thanks for translating option 3, BTW.  I figured it was actually something that only functioned when the service was up, but good details are good details.

Since I last posted I got interested in this a bit more. I've now transcribed all the text from the BS-X BIOS and translated it. My translation is really rough but I can upload it along with the kanji, katakana, and hiragana jtext if anyone is interested. It would be helpful I think if anyone ever wanted to make an English Language version of the BS-X BIOS.

Also you're right, Kiddo. Option #4 does just clear the mascot details from the BIOS. I'd never really played around in the BIOS that much before. It's interesting to see what the official names of all the buildings are now even though we knew some of them (like Bagupotamia Temple) before or to see what names go with what buildings anyway. I wonder if we could develop PAR codes like Tre did for BSZ to cheat the Mascot some items. His inventory is sadly empty right now, but there's all sorts of indications that things like more money (G) and rocketboots could be unlocked. I'd found a list of BS-X: The City Whose Name Has Been Stolen inventory items (including several Zelda-related inventory items) a while ago and I posted it here, but it may have been part of a special Satellawalker series and not coded into the BIOS like I imagine the rocket boots are.

Oh, my PAR codes were easy enough to find in BS Zelda V.0.1.0a, because I just used the "Compare value" handler in Zsnes 1.4x. I didn't use any hex editor, or any special tools... just the ingame cheat search tool. So, assuming the BSX-BIOS rom can load up in Zsnes (doubt it!) you could do the same thing I did. Though... you'd have to earn at least ONE item in your inventory, and guess at the "hex address" of the rest of the items. Might be a fun little project for you to play with. :D

MadHatter,Jun 7 2010
09:10 PM
02:52 PM
Madhatter: You even transcribed text that couldn't normally be accessed when the service is offline? O: I'd love to take a look at that.

Oh sorry, no. I only did the translation for everything that could be reached in offline mode. Anyway everything that I could find.... I'll put up what I have so that people can have a rough idea of what the textboxes are saying.

It would be pretty cool to get an English BS-X BIOS even if it has limited applicability. Vehiek, if you could get access to the unicode for the kanji that would be ideal. Kanji is a beast to transcribe.

So does anyone know how to develop PAR codes? Tre?

Sadly, I've stopped using emulation completely (that last bug/beta play run of AST killed ALL interest in ever playing BS Zelda ANYTHING ever again)... so I don't even have my own patch codes, cheat codes... anything. Not even my old notepad file of "Failed codes that never saw the light of day, but did really stupidly funny things!". I don't even have copies of the more current (never mind MOST current) builds of the roms... which Conn will gut me, flash-fry my insides, serve them to me, and kill me for... since I've got access to the FTP folder and I'm supposed to back up the site whenever we get new data (sorry boss!).

Like I said, though... it was really simple to "hack" the items. All I did in Zsnes was:

1) Make a Savestate prior to an item dropping that I want in inventory.
2) Open the "Cheat editor" and do a value compare search... usually this was just as simple as clicking on "Start".
3) Pick up the item.
4) Open the Cheat editor and under compare search click "Greater than" (since you'd be searching hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of identical value changes).
5) Revert to the last savestate.
6) Open the Cheat editor and choose "Less than" (since the Cheat editor is dealing with SRAM, not save state, you should now have one less of the item you are after).
7) Repeat 3-6 until the address values are down to a far easier number to test out (I usually stuck with ten, and WROTE THEM DOWN).
8) With the item "in inventory" find out what the raw address and value are, as well as the PAR code and modifier code are. This way, you can try to augment the game's inventory on other items (you'll notice that 90% of my BS Zelda cheats followed a VERY simple pattern, usually with only two-byte offsets between inventory items, something that helped Conn with his Item Patch IPS work a little bit).
9) Save the code (verify it works, obviously). And try to run it WITHOUT the Savestate (as in, start up a new file, or last non-item save file). See if the item suddenly is in your inventory. Test it out, and ensure it's not just a Phantom Item (this is the case with my "Boots" in BS Zelda AST, it's just a Phantom Item, requiring two sets of code... one for the Phantom Item, the other for the actual effect). If it works, publish it here for the masses.

...if it DOESN'T work, grumble (cursewords work too) and try again with the other Hex Address values. :D

Videogamer555,Jun 7 2010
10:05 PM
08:31 PM
Madhatter: Just to clear up what Option #4 says it does - from what I've tested it apparently actually clears the BS-X's SRAM. Not really sure what the point there is.
Thanks for translating option 3, BTW.  I figured it was actually something that only functioned when the service was up, but good details are good details.

VG555: I wouldn't recommend this ROM edit here (It'd be much more convenient to use use SNESGT), however, I will try to explain this here.

http://wiki.superfamicom.org/snes/show/BS-...ellaview+Header

Soundlink games are locked from the BS-X basically by the "Limited Starts"/"Boot Limit" value being set to 0. In the Satellaview header format this it located at xFD5 in a ROM (As BS Zelda is HiROM, that makes it FFD5, IIRC.). The specifics of the values in this header are this;

0xFC (11111100): 5 boots
0xBC (10111100): 4 boots
0x9C (10011100): 3 boots
0x8C (10001100): 2 boots
0x84 (10000100): 1 boot
0x80 (10000000): 0 boots (Game will not detect on BS-X)
0x00 (00000000): Unlimited Boots

But the bottom two are the most relevant here; find FFD5 and change 0x80 to 0x00. Then try to boot the game up in BS-X and see what happens. The game should detect on the menu, even if by chance it'll cause a new error afterwards.

Indeed my assumption was correct. There was an emulation header with it. I had to search, but eventually found the REAL offset of the game data, and the place that was used to specify the number of runs it could use. I set it to 0 as you said, and it WORKS now on BSNES through the actual BS-X BIOS interface! Not only does it show up in the BS-X game select menu, it actually launches the game JUST as it should! AND the game is playable! Your worries that it might give another error can now be put aside.

Congrats! I know you were wanting to attempt playing through in this manner. If you feel like it, upload a copy of your working BIOS to a site, and link it here for the masses to enjoy. No point being the only one who can muck about freely in both the BSX-Bios world, and BS Zelda. :P
I'm officially retired from beta testing, and resign my duties to those who have the time to do it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Videogamer555
Sage
Tre,Jun 8 2010
07:28 PM

Not to be a smarty pants... but aren't you the one who wants a fully "original broadcast without any fancy Gaijin magic!" restoration of BS Zelda Map 1/2 and AST? Wouldn't it be rather... unauthentic, to say the least... to play these "No Gaijin crap!" versions, on a HACKED BS-X Bios rom?

We already have a PERFECTLY WORKING ORIGINAL UNALTERED RIP Japanese BS-X BIOS dump, no need to make one. So since we already have that, now it's time to make an English IPS Patch for it so that those (inlcuding my VERY curious self) who want to know what all the menus say, can FINALLY know all of the stuff they couldn't know before because they didn't know Japanese. But the BS-Zelda game is different. There is really NO good Japanese copy yet. Some of the patches are quite well done, but they also TRANSLATE TO ENGLISH! I would actually like to use the restoration patch, because it comes pretty close to simulating the original, but it FORCES AN ENGLISH TRANSLATION, WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY NOT ORIGINAL! and puts at the beginning TEXT TO GIVE HACKER'S CREDIT, WHICH IS ABSOULTELY NOT ORIGINAL! So you see we ALREADY have MORE than enough English releases of BS Zelda. NOW the goal of ALL BS ZELDA HACKERS should be to make a good JAPANESE RELAEASE!

Tre,Jun 8 2010

Congrats! I know you were wanting to attempt playing through in this manner. If you feel like it, upload a copy of your working BIOS to a site, and link it here for the masses to enjoy. No point being the only one who can muck about freely in both the BSX-Bios world, and BS Zelda. :P

Uhm no, it's not to upload a "copy of your working BIOS". I didn't have to hack the BS-X BIOS. No BIOS was hacked. To get the game to work, I had to hack the BS-Zelda game ROM. But thanks for your congrats.
And why waste space uploading a ROM just because it's a hacked ROM? I used Lunar IPS to make a patch out of it (compares the hacked version to the unaltered version and produces a file containing the difference which is a VERY small file for such a simple patch). I'll be uploading the patch, not the patched ROM.

MadHatter
Member Avatar
Oracle
Tre,Jun 8 2010
All I did in Zsnes was:

1) Make a Savestate prior to an item dropping that I want in inventory.
2) Open the "Cheat editor" and do a value compare search... usually this was just as simple as clicking on "Start".
3) Pick up the item.
4) Open the Cheat editor and under compare search click "Greater than" (since you'd be searching hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of identical value changes).
5) Revert to the last savestate.
etc.

Ah OK so we might be able to do something involving the money in the version of the BIOS that we have then since there is a discrete value to it and this might be searchable but other than that we'd need some of the other versions of the BIOS that Kiddo was talking about that have inventory items. The version we have here has no inventory items in it and there appears to be no way to get any in the city without connecting (passively) to St.GIGA. Kiddo mentioned that Callis had some versions with items, however. That sounds very cool. Above all I'd love to see if there was anything Zelda related in there. Like I said, I know there were some Zelda items in the Satellawalker games.

Videogamer555,Jun 8 2010
07:21 PM
MadHatter,Jun 8 2010
12:47 PM
link to the St.GIGA server

So then it DOES have satellite RF transmitting capability. To connect to a server you have to SEND it a data packet saying "I want to connect to you" and then the server replies by sending a "you are connected" packet as well as any initial data (such as a web page) that is supposed to be sent to the connecting computer.

I misspoke I guess. The Satellaview system employed "pull" digital marketing technology. In other words it sat at one end broadcasting away and users at the other end could connect passively to it and receive data without transmitting any to it. Think of it like the water in your tap. The water tank that supplies your sink with water is always trying to send water to you but there are physical barriers in place. When you lift the handle then you open up the physical barriers and the water fills your bowl of ramen. Now replace the idea of the sink handle with selecting the "download" option via the BS-X BIOS. Replace the word "water" with the term "Satellaview game." And finally replace the term "ramen bowl" with the term "8M memory pack."

MadHatter
Member Avatar
Oracle
MadHatter,Jun 8 2010
03:11 AM
EDIT:
MadHatter,Jun 8 2010
02:10 AM
I only did the translation for everything that could be reached in offline mode. Anyway everything that I could find....
Sigh... I've already found some more dialog with the tree that I didn't include. I'll try to work on it a bit more before uploading a version 1.2. I guess all the houses are translated for offline mode at least..

I'm actually supposed to be studying for a brutal exam that's only a few months away so I should probably try to tone down the amount of posting I'm doing here and the amount of time I'm spending on the BS-X translating. The translating is actually not so bad since I'm half-assing it but the kanji transcription kills me. It took me 3 or 4 hours to find the last kanji from the new dialogue I'd found with the tree. Anyway I did a cursory search again without uncovering any more but I'll hold off on uploading a new version of the document because I'm sure I missed stuff. As I don't plan on going back to it really soon, feel free to add this last bit of translation manually.

The text I found said :
Quote:

輊送装置を持っていると、街の全体図が
見られたり、簡単に移動ができたりする
んだって
A

and in English:
Quote:

If you have the ??? device, an overall view of the city
can be seen, and you can travel easily
I've heard
A
As you can see, sadly I had no luck translating the most interesting part of the text... I'm pretty darn sure the kanji is correct but the dictionaries and online machine-translators I use are coming up blank for the translation.

Now back to work I go.

Terra Branford
Member Avatar
Officially retired
Admin
Videogamer555,Jun 8 2010
02:36 PM
We already have a PERFECTLY WORKING ORIGINAL UNALTERED RIP Japanese BS-X BIOS dump, no need to make one. So since we already have that, now it's time to make an English IPS Patch for it so that those (inlcuding my VERY curious self) who want to know what all the menus say, can FINALLY know all of the stuff they couldn't know before because they didn't know Japanese. But the BS-Zelda game is different. There is really NO good Japanese copy yet. Some of the patches are quite well done, but they also TRANSLATE TO ENGLISH! I would actually like to use the restoration patch, because it comes pretty close to simulating the original, but it FORCES AN ENGLISH TRANSLATION, WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY NOT ORIGINAL! and puts at the beginning TEXT TO GIVE HACKER'S CREDIT, WHICH IS ABSOULTELY NOT ORIGINAL! So you see we ALREADY have MORE than enough English releases of BS Zelda. NOW the goal of ALL BS ZELDA HACKERS should be to make a good JAPANESE RELAEASE!
Wow... you do realize that typing in all caps to drive home your point is like screaming in my ear. I hate when people feel they have to scream their point out, and typically ignore them. But I'll ignore it this time, especially since I was just teasing you a little, and should be a little more sensitive to your requests.

Besides, I do kind of agree we need a more authentic Japanese BS Zelda... I mean Serkol even got Conn to agree to leaving the game with a 0:07 start time and x:57 ending time, despite my desire to leave it as starting at 0:00 and ending at x:59:59 (one FULL hour).

Though, the biggest problem I have is that you seem to think BS Zelda Homepage OWES you a fully restored exact copy of the games as they played on the BS-X. And, well... all of us (myself included) did our fair share of work for FREE to provide this game to the Gaijin who were not alive, and in Japan, during the original broadcasts. Maybe I'm reading your posts with a bit of a cynical mindset (I've washed my hands of doing even more work on a game I actually began to HATE working on, despite it being my favorite restoration project I've been part of)... and so I see it as a slap in my face after all those countless hours of "Hey, Tre? I'm SOOOO sorry, but you need to retest Map 1 from the start, Geiger made a byte offset error which will crash the game in normal playthrough. I hope you didn't get too far!"... when I'd already gone through the majority of the game, for FREE of course, to help strangers I don't even know outside of our staff here.

Try to keep in mind, NONE of us were payed for our time. We're not employees of the Mighty Nintend'oh... just a bunch of overly enthusiastic fans who thought it was a horrible injustice that the Gaijins didn't get this wonderful game, or had any chance to play it. Sure... some liberties were taken (adding in credits for our hard work, which I feel is only fair for the level of work we ALL put in... and creating "Original Zelda!" style patches for the Third/Fourth Quests), but this was an on-going effort to try to keep this as close to the original broadcast as possible with the information we had. Read through the archives... a TON of research was done, Japanese players were harrassed to the point they don't post anymore, for fear we'll ask for more information about the game... or more accurate translations... thousands of hours were put into this game. And... well... no, it's not perfect. But nothing is perfect... that's what you get when you have a broken source to try to restore.

I'm more surprised you're not angry about Ancient Stone Tablets... the ENTIRE indoors was missing (in all four weeks), and Serkol had to fully restore them using the dark arts known only to his people. I'm sure there are a LOT of spots that aren't 100% accurate. :D

Videogamer555,Jun 8 2010
02:36 PM
Uhm no, it's not to upload a "copy of your working BIOS". I didn't have to hack the BS-X BIOS. No BIOS was hacked. To get the game to work, I had to hack the BS-Zelda game ROM. But thanks for your congrats.
And why waste space uploading a ROM just because it's a hacked ROM? I used Lunar IPS to make a patch out of it (compares the hacked version to the unaltered version and produces a file containing the difference which is a VERY small file for such a simple patch). I'll be uploading the patch, not the patched ROM.
Ah. I completely misunderstood what you'd done there. I was like: "Woah, this guy got BS-X Bios to load up BS Zelda without a bunch of rubbish? Hmmm... nice!". Still... you should at least share the patch, since a few of us aren't too keen on having to hack stuff ourselves. :P

MadHatter,Jun 8 2010
03:00 PM
Ah OK so we might be able to do something involving the money in the version of the BIOS that we have then since there is a discrete value to it and this might be searchable but other than that we'd need some of the other versions of the BIOS that Kiddo was talking about that have inventory items. The version we have here has no inventory items in it and there appears to be no way to get any in the city without connecting (passively) to St.GIGA. Kiddo mentioned that Callis had some versions with items, however. That sounds very cool. Above all I'd love to see if there was anything Zelda related in there. Like I said, I know there were some Zelda items in the Satellawalker games.

Well, if I recall... there was some partial support in Snes9x for the BS-X Bios, wasn't there? So you could "Wander about aimlessly doing nothing at all"? If so, I did also do a set of BS Zelda v.0.1.0a cheats (which used a different "code set" entirely from the Zsnes version)... meaning you can use the in-emulator cheat search feature. Though... that would only help with the game on Snes9x.

You might want to dig around and see of SNESGT or BSNES have "cheat code" tools, as this would be a good thing to play around with.

Nearly every "hex address code lookup" tool works exactly as I stated above (even my Gameshark for PS1, which I still use to hack the &#@$ out of old games for the fun of it)... so it should be pretty easy to use if you find one there.

Assuming one exists in these emulators. Otherwise, you'll have to use Geiger in Snes9x, or a rom editor/hex editor tool... which goes beyond my knowledge.
I'm officially retired from beta testing, and resign my duties to those who have the time to do it.

Vehiek
Sage
MadHatter,Jun 8 2010
11:16 AM

As you can see, sadly I had no luck translating the most interesting part of the text... I'm pretty darn sure the kanji is correct but the dictionaries and online machine-translators I use are coming up blank for the translation.

You didn't get the first kanji correct. From what I extracted from the BIOS ROM, that kanji should be a "転" A "転送装置" is one of the items in the BIOS ROM.

Hey, should we start discussing this kind of stuff in a different thread?

Videogamer555
Sage
Tre,Jun 8 2010
08:35 PM
Ah. I completely misunderstood what you'd done there. I was like: "Woah, this guy got BS-X Bios to load up BS Zelda without a bunch of rubbish? Hmmm... nice!". Still... you should at least share the patch, since a few of us aren't too keen on having to hack stuff ourselves. :P

What rubbish? You mean garbled text? I never saw such. It ran fine on ever emulator I got it to work on, regardless of if it booted with just the assistance of the BS-X BIOS (as in SNESGT), or actually directly from the BS-X game start menu (as in BSNES). It always did work for me, and never gave me any rubbish.

Because the patch patches a part of the BS-X header (which has a standard format) of the game (In my case, BS-Zelda) ROM, said header is not game specific, so if there are other games that use SoundLink like BS-Zelda and therefore won't load through the BS-X's game start menu, this IPS patch should fix them too, and allow them to load from the BS-X's game start menu. However I can't test this, as I don't know what other SoundLink games there are, or which ones have had their ROMs dumped yet. If you know of any other ROM downloads for SoundLink BS-X games, please post them here.

As for hacking being difficult, it is in 99.9% of the cases. But this particular hack modified only one byte of data. Info I used was from KiddoCabbusses, and from info in this link he posted:
and from a bit of searching in a hex editor (the very one I then used to make the edit) as the offset in actual start of the ROM was different from a true raw ROM dump (which he was referring to) due to the extra emulation header (SMC header I believe) present in the SWC ROM file. After I found the right byte to modify, I simply changed it to what KiddoCabbusses said the correct value would be to achieve what I was trying to achieve. Simple hack. Not hard.

MadHatter
Member Avatar
Oracle
Vehiek,Jun 8 2010
08:45 PM
MadHatter,Jun 8 2010

You didn't get the first kanji correct. From what I extracted from the BIOS ROM, that kanji should be a "転" A "転送装置" is one of the items in the BIOS ROM.

Ah brilliant! That's perfect then. It looks like it's talking about a transportation device then (possibly a reference to the various cars and trains that were available in the BS-X City). I didn't even bother rechecking those kanji since I had so much trouble with some of the ones later in the message. Is there some way for you to check "簡" (the first kanji from "簡単に移動ができたりする" in the second line)? I spent forever looking through character table after character table and this is the best I could come up with. It's close to perfect except the gate radical uses the common 4-stroke nichi character instead of a 3-stroke character (like kuchi). It's really annoying. I can see all the constituent radicals (which is a blessing because often you can barely make them out) but I can't for the life of me find a kanji that puts them all together just so.

Also I would be happy to shift off the translation discussion to a separate thread. I think it all started in this thread on page #2. Could a moderator help us out here?

Videogamer555
Sage
MadHatter,Jun 8 2010
11:39 PM
Vehiek,Jun 8 2010
08:45 PM
MadHatter,Jun 8 2010

Ah brilliant! That's perfect then. It looks like it's talking about a transportation device then (possibly a reference to the various cars and trains that were available in the BS-X City). I didn't even bother rechecking those kanji since I had so much trouble with some of the ones later in the message. Is there some way for you to check "簡" (the first kanji from "簡単に移動ができたりする" in the second line)? I spent forever looking through character table after character table and this is the best I could come up with. It's close to perfect except the gate radical uses the common 4-stroke nichi character instead of a 3-stroke character (like kuchi). It's really annoying. I can see all the constituent radicals (which is a blessing because often you can barely make them out) but I can't for the life of me find a kanji that puts them all together just so.

Also I would be happy to shift off the translation discussion to a separate thread. I think it all started in this thread on page #2. Could a moderator help us out here?

I stuck that whole Japanese phrase "簡単に移動ができたりする" into the online translator at Animelab.com.
The romaji it gave me for that is:
kantan ni idou gadekitarisuru

Now you can use your knowledge of the Japanese language to try to get a good English translation of it.

I wouldn't use the translator's actual English output because it made NO SENSE at all. But just for the record, it gave me:
exclamatory mood load mobile gadekitarisuru

KiddoCabbusses
Member Avatar
The overly enthused BS-X nerd.
Hey, just to get a bit of thread clean-up here, could a mod move the BS-X BIOs translating-related posts to a different thread for ease of reading?
I know, I'm a mod myself. :| I'm just unfamiliar with how to do that technically.
Tre: I kinda only skimmed a bit of what you've posted, but it sounds like you had it pretty rough. Sorry if I might've sounded a tad more bossy to you than intended, as I tend to have that habit. I hope someday you can be excited (in a happy sense) over working on a new Satellaview-related project again.
Also, the BS-X BIOs cart on the site works fine for use on BSNES/SNESGT/SNES9XPP XE. ^^;

MasterOfPuppets
Member Avatar
Oracle
Actually, I kind of was planning to do a translation of the "BIOS". Once I do the "BS Bokujo Monogatari Da-2-wa" translation, I'll see if I can do that one as well.
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/NintendoRepairs

MadHatter
Member Avatar
Oracle
Videogamer555,Jun 9 2010
02:04 AM
I stuck that whole Japanese phrase "簡単に移動ができたりする" into the online translator at Animelab.com.

Now you can use your knowledge of the Japanese language to try to get a good English translation of it.

I wouldn't use the translator's actual English output because it made NO SENSE at all. But just for the record, it gave me:

I'm pretty uncertain about the "簡" character...
With what Vehiek gave me I now get this:

Quote:

転送装置を持っていると、街の全体図が
見られたり、簡単に移動ができたりする
んだって
A

and in English:
Quote:

If you use the transportation systems, an overall view of the city
I've heard
A
It's still quite rough.

MoP, I gave it a bit of a start already so feel free to take up from where I left off. I'm more confident about the jtext transcriptions than I am of the translations generally. The jtext may have a few errors too, of course.

Terra Branford
Member Avatar
Officially retired
Admin
Videogamer555,Jun 8 2010
05:09 PM
Tre,Jun 8 2010
08:35 PM

What rubbish? You mean garbled text? I never saw such. It ran fine on ever emulator I got it to work on, regardless of if it booted with just the assistance of the BS-X BIOS (as in SNESGT), or actually directly from the BS-X game start menu (as in BSNES). It always did work for me, and never gave me any rubbish.

Because the patch patches a part of the BS-X header (which has a standard format) of the game (In my case, BS-Zelda) ROM, said header is not game specific, so if there are other games that use SoundLink like BS-Zelda and therefore won't load through the BS-X's game start menu, this IPS patch should fix them too, and allow them to load from the BS-X's game start menu. However I can't test this, as I don't know what other SoundLink games there are, or which ones have had their ROMs dumped yet. If you know of any other ROM downloads for SoundLink BS-X games, please post them here.

As for hacking being difficult, it is in 99.9% of the cases. But this particular hack modified only one byte of data. Info I used was from KiddoCabbusses, and from info in this link he posted:
and from a bit of searching in a hex editor (the very one I then used to make the edit) as the offset in actual start of the ROM was different from a true raw ROM dump (which he was referring to) due to the extra emulation header (SMC header I believe) present in the SWC ROM file. After I found the right byte to modify, I simply changed it to what KiddoCabbusses said the correct value would be to achieve what I was trying to achieve. Simple hack. Not hard.

I'm English, so when I say "rubbish", I mean "nonsense"... or, in this sense, I mean "a bunch of effort". Sorry for the confusion.

Still, you could feel free to share your "patch" if you'd like. I'm not interested in playing BS Zelda any more... I stick around because I do still like to help (more or less), and hope one day I'll actually replay the maps for fun... instead of as a chore.

And, as per the request, I've split this off at page two onwards... not sure how much from the previous topic actually needed to be brought over, so let me know.

Yay... I'm actually moderating!

KiddoCabbusses,Jun 8 2010
09:16 PM
Hey, just to get a bit of thread clean-up here, could a mod move the BS-X BIOs translating-related posts to a different thread for ease of reading?
I know, I'm a mod myself. :| I'm just unfamiliar with how to do that technically.
Tre: I kinda only skimmed a bit of what you've posted, but it sounds like you had it pretty rough. Sorry if I might've sounded a tad more bossy to you than intended, as I tend to have that habit. I hope someday you can be excited (in a happy sense) over working on a new Satellaview-related project again.
Also, the BS-X BIOs cart on the site works fine for use on BSNES/SNESGT/SNES9XPP XE. ^^;

It's alright man... you had no idea that (at that point in time) it was really only Serkol, Conn, and myself beta testing Map 1 (and then Map 2, with a few extra members joining in). I took it upon myself (foolishly) to lead the crusade, and accept patch after patch after patch from Conn (sometimes as many as three per night) and keep re-playing. I'd find major bugs (sometimes only half-way into a week) and send the report... other times I'd just try to finish the ENTIRE "broken" rough betas to see what else was broken (on the occassions that it didn't crash each time the bug hit), so I could give 100% complete notes.

My problem, is I suffer from OCD (have all my life, but it's under control... mostly... without medication), and so I couldn't just stop running through, even after seeing a "game breaking error". I had to keep running and get them ALL.

To make it worse, I couldn't use Save States (those often kept the bugs going even on clean patches)... I had to use native in-game saving... and more often than not, I had to run the game the entire "four hour" session. THAT killed my enjoyment.

I actually had more fun with the original (broken) .swc file I found six or seven years ago when I first started playing around with emulators... but after hunting down the Homepage, I wanted to contribute. Heck, even my MUM has played BS Zelda Map 1 (when you could only be the girl, and had to cheat to beat the game), because we both loved the Zelda series. She was quite surprised to find out about this game, and even more surprised when I showed her my name in the credits screen. Closest I'll ever get to my (former) childhood dream of being a game programmer.

Anyway, as you noticed, I've split the topic. I hope I did it right. >_< It's wonky, because you use the "Moderator Options" drop-down menu in the bottom left of the page, and then "Split Topic" and it gives you each post (with like seven lines of the post) and a check box for which ones to move... as well as the option to name the topic, and the "Move" button... or whatever it said. Wasn't paying attention. Back when I was far more active as a moderator here (Ie. Night Crew), I did so many mergings, moves, splits, deletions, and bans, that I can still remember how to do it by intuition. :D

Videogamer555
Sage
MadHatter,Jun 9 2010
03:19 AM
Videogamer555,Jun 9 2010
02:04 AM

I'm pretty uncertain about the "簡" character...
With what Vehiek gave me I now get this:

Quote:

転送装置を持っていると、街の全体図が
見られたり、簡単に移動ができたりする
んだって
A

and in English:
Quote:

If you use the transportation systems, an overall view of the city
I've heard
A
It's still quite rough.

MoP, I gave it a bit of a start already so feel free to take up from where I left off. I'm more confident about the jtext transcriptions than I am of the translations generally. The jtext may have a few errors too, of course.

Transportation system? I never found any such thing in the BS-X BIOS ROM (no trains, cars, etc). Was this a feature that required a satellite reception? Or do I have to set my BS-X BIOS's time and date to specific values to access certain features like this? Or is it an incomplete rip, actually completely missing support for these features?

As for the unknown kanji character, can you please post a screencap showing the text in question?

MadHatter
Member Avatar
Oracle
Tre: Any way to still include this post? Considering that's where I uploaded the translation I think it belongs more in this thread now.

VG555: I could upload a screenshot, but didn't you say that you'd gotten the BS-X BIOS working on your computer? Just run the mascot over to the tree and talk to it for a while. Eventually it says what I posted.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · BS-X · Next Topic »
Add Reply