Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to BS Zelda. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Anti-Respawn; New patch
Topic Started: Dec 27 2012, 09:27 PM (2,684 Views)
Conn
Member Avatar
We call it life
Admin
Here's a patch that prevents monsters from respawning (6 new screens until they reappear):

http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/respawn.zip

I would like to have it playtested (MOST IMPORTANT: Third Quest adn Fourth Quest, since the patch will be applied on the roms to download).
Anybody interested, please? :)

With this, I loose the overview... so here's a summary what's next

- JoeSteve: final translations
- Duke: docs of original kanji
- Duke: midis of waitsign (and maybe Fortune Teller) for the audio patch
- Anybody: give green light for this respawn patch

These should be all the upcoming updates...

Edit:
Small bug with compass found - please redownload.

Edit2:
Again small bug with compass found - please redownload (again ^_^' ).

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SmashManiac
Member Avatar
Legend
Does it do like in the original Zelda where keeping 1 enemy alive on every screen prevent respawning?

Posted Image

The BIG List of Randomizers

Conn
Member Avatar
We call it life
Admin
why don't you test it yourself :P

This code was a bitch... There was lot of mathematics and logic needed to make an additional store. remember when I told it were impossible to achieve this? The monsters are loaded directly into ram (type, life energy and behaviour all at one place). To all misery, not only monsters are stored to this location, but also other sprites (staircases, cave entrances, fireballs, thrown swords). So I had to make an additional filter.

Edit:
I tested now Zelda 1 and it remembers the exact amount of monsters you have defeated (leave one, reenter, and again only 1 until you walked 6 screens or so - then all are respawning).
The code from me does it the same way.

Posted Image

Terra Branford
Member Avatar
Officially retired
Admin
Wow... I thought this coding was supposed to be "nearly impossible", and that you'd "retired officially". Good to see you were able to get this working.

Seriously, I give you my kudos, for all your continued hacking... even if you claim you'll retire, every step of the way. :P
I'm officially retired from beta testing, and resign my duties to those who have the time to do it.

Conn
Member Avatar
We call it life
Admin
Thank you Tre ^_^
Well it was quite difficult to code this, but I tried and found it is indeed possible. All in all however, it was not that hard as the audio patch...

As for retirement... hehe, I am now forced to go into. There is nothing remaining for me:

Quote:

Rh compatibility

As long there isn't a better debugger than snes9x I can't do this.

Quote:

Combining maps for BS Zelda and weeks for AST.

Beyond my skills

Quote:

Possibly letting the player choose the week from the save file menu (making them skippable but not allowing to play previous weeks).

Not really beyond my skills (I did a menu hack once for AST) but I see no point in hacking one week for this. When you e.g., start in week 4, and have one hour only to get all Triforce from previous weeks to be able to defeat Ganon, it is nearly impossible to manage (I know Kiddo was able to once but 99% of players are not able). So I restrict myself coding such a useless thing. Originially available or not.

Quote:

And we were never able to get the cannon soldier and Vitreous into AST Master Quest.

Beyond my skills

Quote:

Oh and it would be really awesome if someone was able to recreate the intros with sprites instead of still shots, so they could be animated.

Far beyond my skills

So as long as Euclid isn't reappearing from the dead I think we have to go conform with the state the roms are at this point B)

Edit:
Found troubles with the whirlpool; I'll look whether I can fix that.

Posted Image

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Where'd that Princess go?
Admin
Con,Dec 28 2012
02:41 PM
I tested now Zelda 1 and it remembers the exact amount of monsters you have defeated (leave one, reenter, and again only 1 until you walked 6 screens or so - then all are respawning).

Actually I'm fairly certain that in the original Zelda enemies do not ever respawn unless the screen is completely cleared of them first. In fact, the game even saves the amount of enemies you leave in each screen.

...but I don't even want to imagine how much of a pain programming that would be :lol:

Seriously great job. I'm starting to think you might be fighting an addiction to coding here (my advice is... just say yes ;))
Posted Image

Conn
Member Avatar
We call it life
Admin
Quote:

Seriously great job. I'm starting to think you might be fighting an addiction to coding here (my advice is... just say yes )

Err... no! ^_^

Bad news, though. The whirlpool bug is something serious. I must do major research to fix this. But I am on vacation the next days, so thereafter I can hopefully fix it.

Posted Image

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Admin
Is there some way to avoid the glitch? Or does it prevent progressing into the game?
If it does, we may want to make note of it in the main page (possibly suggesting a PAR code to get around it, like giving yourself the ladder)
Posted Image

Conn
Member Avatar
We call it life
Admin
The problem is that every defeated monster leaves a "FF" then there is a loop that forwards the monsters to the next location until there is a "FF".

Now when I load the defeated monsters from the last screens there is a FF and the loop won't continue. That's the dilemma.
The whirlpool is at place 5, monsters in this screen at place 1,2,3 - when you defeat the monsters, the FF breaks the loop and the whirlpool appears where a monster should originally appear.

It happens also when you e.g. defeated Zora. The octoroc when reentering will be placed on it's former place in the water then.

Posted Image

Conn
Member Avatar
We call it life
Admin
Yay, I think I found a solution. I searched for another placeholder than "FF". With most values the game broke, some let fairies, bombs, old men appear, but I think I found a transparent one. ^_^

So now it is really ready for playtesting!

Edit:
Damnit. The value I used is not transparent, it is the yellow animation for always shooting swords. Now when the time is 0:10 this animation is shown almost always when reentering a screen.
Well, I look at it in a few days. I have an idea how to fix, so playtesting until then is not necessary (would have to be playtested again)

Posted Image

Conn
Member Avatar
We call it life
Admin
ok, fixed it just one hour until I leave for vacation :P

Here are the new files:

I hope anybody will playtest them now ^_^

Posted Image

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Admin
Right on time, nice! :lol:
Posted Image

KiddoCabbusses
Member Avatar
The overly enthused BS-X nerd.
I'll run a playtest in a bit.

I wonder, is this a step towards a more ambitious hack idea? Maybe we'll see the original NES maps in BS form for real someday...

ethanland
Member Avatar
The Satellabrony
What about BS maps in NES form? :P
My Youtube Account

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Admin
You never know, someday it could happen
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Patching · Next Topic »
Add Reply