Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to BS Zelda. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Zelda 3 Single Hacks; For your choice
Topic Started: Aug 11 2013, 10:16 PM (6,093 Views)
Conn
Member Avatar
We call it life
Admin
You may wonder what happened to me... well, I was requested to help SePH, Euclid and Puzzledude with their progress on new Zelda hacks similar to Parallel Worlds... doing this some nifty hacks came out.

Since most of you are also fans of Zelda 3, I'd like to distribute those hacks to you if you like to have these features implemented in your ALTTP rom:

Have fun ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hack: pot destroy by L2-L4 Sword
Authors: Spane, Conn
Information: destroys pots with Sowrd L2-L4
Rom: ALTTP (US), without header
Code Addresses:
$0x77B70 - 0x77B9B: code to implement feature

IPS URL: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/pott_l2sword.zip

Screenshots:
Posted Image[/url]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hack: Ice rod freezes water
Authors: Potentialing, PuzzleDude, Conn
Information: you get icy water to walk on - works only in 16x16 screens (8-bit need still to be adjusted)
Code Addresses: 0x77ba0 - 0x77d8f (after pot with sword destroy above)

ZIP FILE: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/icelink.zip

Inside above zip file you'll find 3 versions:

Icerod freezing water final:

Posted Image[/url]

This is the normal code for freezing deep water!
The effect was implemented in the overworlds only (simply to many unfixable bugs if indoors), and even here you might have a lot of trouble to avoid game paradoxes (this is also described in one of the included files).
All files are packed in the zip file (hex, asm, smc etc). The fastest way to insert the effect is using the Ips patch.

Variants of Icerod ASM:

Posted Image

List:
1 Ground rod
2 Ground rod (lava variant)
3 Shallow water rod
4 Water rock
5 Freeze bushes
6 Broken bridge
7 Lava rock
8 Lava ground

We are dealing with the same code, but the icerod affects different things: from making ground and shallow water, to freeze new objects, such as water rocks, lava rocks and freezing lava ground.
Most recomended (because of zero possibility of bugs and zero possibility for game paradoxes):
Water rock, Freeze bushes, Lava rock, Lava ground.
With these 4 variants almost no bugs or paradoxes are possible, since you affect certain objects only.
If you however freeze all water, you can come to some paradoxes (original icerod effect, ground rod, shallow water rod, broken bridge).
----------------
Note, I haven't made Ips patches, since they have the same core as the Icerod original Ips. Only a small amount of bytes has changed since then. It is wise to change these bytes with hex editor, to understand what you are doing. Once you do, you can make your own variants.

Dungeon Incomplete:

Posted Image

This is a try to get ice in dungeons, but I gave up on it due to several bugs:
- Link swims through ice
- Link jumps from ice into walls
- Makes Water Dungeon riddle to pull lever in light world obsolete since you must place a water layer on bg1 next to the transludent bg2 water layer!

Hack: Blocks moveable multiple times
Authors: PuzzleDude, Conn
Information: the blocks can be moved unlimited (or until you hit an obstacle)
pc w/o header ALTTP (US)
Code Addresses: 0x77e00 - 0x77e1c (after pot with sword destroy and icerod freezing water above)

IPS url: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/moveblock.zip

Screenshot:

Posted Image

Hack: Transfer sprites
Authors: Conn, PuzzleDude
Information: Transfer the data for Indoor sprites to another bank to have more room for them. This also means more room for outdoor sprites, since if left in place, they can extend into the former indoor sprites data-area.

pc w/o header ALTTP (US)
Code Addresses: main code at $14C296 (can be put elsewhere)

ZIP url: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbidh9iv7psephd/T...%28final%29.zip

Screenshot:
Posted Image

Hack: Can not move when holding sword
Information: When you hold your sword to do the spin attack, you can not move (this avoids visual bugs like going backwards or sidewards into the staircase).

pc w/o header ALTTP (US)
Code Addresses: main code at $0009C2

ZIP url: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k50rgktp67gq9ym/N...rd%20charge.zip

Posted Image

Hack: Play custom music
Information: Load (play) custom overworld music, without the reseting when changing screens. (Original Alttp always resets it to Overworld music when exiting most entrances).

pc w/o header ALTTP (US)
Code Addresses: main code at $11A200, new music table at $11A300.

ZIP url: https://www.dropbox.com/s/04lgxiheviak28g/P...%28final%29.zip

Posted Image

Hack: Lens of Truth
Author: XaserLe
Information: This is for making BG2 disappear when pressing X and R together (parallel worlds x button secret). But only if you have the Mirror in the inventory (suitable to revert it into Lens of Truth).

pc w/o header ALTTP (US)
Code Addresses: main code at $1FA600

ZIP url: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8c53zlvrk4wb382/L...0of%20Truth.zip

Posted Image

Hack: Direction Change while running with Pegasus Boots
Author: Conn, AST creator team ^^
Information: This is a stolen and adapted code from AST, it will make you change direction while running with your pegasus boots. You need to keep the run button pressed, becuase stopping by direction change will not work anymore (of course ;))
pc w/o header ALTTP (US)
Code Addresses: main code at $0x3ff40 (works also with PW)

Updated Version 2: Keep running during screen transitions
Zip: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/...sus_upgrade.zip

Screenshot:

Posted Image

Hack: Close gap in Euclids 24 item-menu, by enabling an extra item (shovel)
Authors: Conn
Information: Get shovel in menu instead of empty space (patch changes empty space used previously for bottle content to get shovel there), so you can have and use the flute and shovel at the same time. You only need to place the shovel in a nice chest via HM or hex editing (not implemented by this patch since this is your choice).
Rom: Parallel Worlds-prepatched ALTTP (can be adapted to your menu if you use the 24 items menu hack from Euclid)

Zip: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/pw_shovel.zip

Screenshots:
Posted Image

Posted Image

The zip contains a txt with information to made changes.

Hack: Random and special treasures to dig up
Author: Conn
Information: This patch will give you the ability to dig up random treasures and you will be able to hide dig-up sprites like Heart Container pieces!
Main code 0x77e30, which is unused space in native ALTTP - but not in Parallel Worlds. If you want to use it on PW, please shift the code to unused space there!

Zip: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/...al_treasure.zip

Inside you find merged patch with random rupees gain and the ability to insert specific treasures (tested and confirmed so far only for Heart Container pieces) to hide anywhere except big screens. Inside a zip you will also find the old patch that only allows to dig up random treasures.

Since it is not possible to set other items like boomerang to dig up, I made a small tutorial how to replace the flute by another item. This however is restricted to screen 2A where you natively find the flute.

Screenshots:
Random rupees:
Posted Image

Special treasure collect:
Posted Image

Flute replacement:
Posted Image

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Where'd that Princess go?
Admin
Wow... this is... incredible! And so completely out of the blue! O_o

So much for retirement eh Con?

Also NOW Euclid shows up? Where had he been hiding?? :lol:

You need to ask him and your other new friends to try and put Vitreous in AST... or even better Gleeok and Lanmola in BS LoZ.

And this:
Con,Aug 11 2013
11:16 PM
Hack: pot destroy by L2-L4 Sword
Authors: Spane, Conn
Information: destroys pots with Sowrd L2-L4
Code Addresses:
$0x77B70 - 0x77B9B: code to implement feature

IPS URL: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/pott_l2sword.zip

Screenshots:
Posted Image[/url]

would also be a welcome addition if you could port it over to AST (does running into vases break them too? It should since you're holding out your sword)

Other than that one, the most impressive are surely the water freezing ice rod, the AST improved boots and the retain shovel+random buried treasures combo.
...but of course we don't really need those in AST.
Posted Image

SmashManiac
Member Avatar
Legend
Wow, you were busy there Con! I especially like the pot breaking, custom music and turning while running ones! :)

By the way you should post those hacks on romhacking.net as improvements (except maybe for the unfinished one) so that they get more exposure B)

Posted Image

The BIG List of Randomizers
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JamesBond007
Member Avatar
Sage
Con,Aug 11 2013
10:16 PM
Hack: Direction Change while running with Pegasus Boots
Author: Conn, AST creator team ^^
Information: This is a stolen and adapted code from AST, it will make you change direction while running with your pegasus boots. You need to keep the run button pressed, becuase stopping by direction change will not work anymore (of course ;))
pc w/o header ALTTP (US)
Code Addresses: main code at $0x3ff40 (works also with PW)

Updated Version 2: Keep running during screen transitions
Zip: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/...sus_upgrade.zip

Screenshot:

Posted Image

Thanks, I was looking for this! Now I'm happy. :)

BTW, I found one more on The Cutting Room Floor. I'm not sure who made it, but I know the details. It's not a hack, but rather a bugfix. It fixes Kholdstare Shell melting process (this is already fixed in the GBA version). It is compatible with US ALttP headerless rom.
My current Zelda "Skyward Split" Timeline:
---/--TMC--FS/FSA--ALttP/OoX/AST/LA--???--ALBW--TLoZ/TAoL
SS--OoT--TWW/PH--ST
---------\MM--TP

MasterOfPuppets
Member Avatar
Oracle
Nice work! Looking forward to what else is being worked on!
Attached to this post:
Attachments: ALttP_Kholdstare_Shell.ips (27 Bytes)
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/NintendoRepairs

Conn
Member Avatar
We call it life
Admin
Cool that you like it ^_^
Actually I wanted to help SePH only with an item palette change, but yeah, got more, and more, and more and...

@ Duke:
As for Euclid he hardly showing up at the forum. Guess he's busy with real life... as for implementing Vitreous, Lamnolas and that stuff you better ask him yourself.

Quote:

would also be a welcome addition if you could port it over to AST (does running into vases break them too? It should since you're holding out your sword)

The patch is attached below, feel free to make an update - works on all 4 weeks.
I also already uploaded a new German translation for the MottZilla patch by KillBill_158 who adapted Svambo's old translation to new combined maps hack.

And yes, you run through pots ;)

@Smash:
Puzzledude is on it to supply the patches on romhacking. But they don't make submission easy.

@JB007:
The one who created the kholdstare patch is MathOnNapkins

Posted Image

Terra Branford
Member Avatar
Officially retired
Admin
Heh... you know Con, it doesn't exactly count as being "Retired", if you keep making patches for ~other~ games. :P
Attached to this post:
Attachments: pottast.zip (185 Bytes)
I'm officially retired from beta testing, and resign my duties to those who have the time to do it.

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Admin
Uh... I was in the process of making an update but... that's not an ips file. How do I use it?
Posted Image

Conn
Member Avatar
We call it life
Admin
Tre, I am too good in what I am doing... so I get requests after requests. And since I am good-human I mostly help people. And the people there have plenty of projects on start (not only SePH, PuzzleDude and Euclid, there are many more)and need ASM help of which mainly Euclid and I are capable to do.

Duke, are you kidding? That's a zip file attached and inside you find the ips O_o
But I attached the ips without zipping it to this post to ensure you get it. The patch is ready for use for any week :)

Posted Image

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Admin
This one works. The other I extracted, gave it a .ips extension but Lunar Ips still would not recognize as one.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: pottast.ips (70 Bytes)
Posted Image

Conn
Member Avatar
We call it life
Admin
Ah I see. For me it worked all right but zips sometimes have their own life.
Luckily it works now... so happy updating&gaming ^_^

Posted Image

Terra Branford
Member Avatar
Officially retired
Admin
Con,Aug 13 2013
07:20 PM
Tre, I am too good in what I am doing... so I get requests after requests. And since I am good-human I mostly help people. And the people there have plenty of projects on start (not only SePH, PuzzleDude and Euclid, there are many more)and need ASM help of which mainly Euclid and I are capable to do.

Duke, are you kidding? That's a zip file attached and inside you find the ips O_o
But I attached the ips without zipping it to this post to ensure you get it. The patch is ready for use for any week :)

Heh, I know... I'm just busting your chops. :P
I'm officially retired from beta testing, and resign my duties to those who have the time to do it.

Conn
Member Avatar
We call it life
Admin
Hack: Golden Star, Force Boomerang and Worn-out Glove, Nimbus, 4 digit rupee, second magic meter upgrade, superbomb, Fairy Flippers
Author: Euclid, SePH, PuzzleDude, Erockbrox, Conn
Information: This hack lets you gain many brand-new items: an upgraded hookshot (golden star with L3 sword strength) and upgraded magic boomerang (force boomerang with L2 sword strength. Also implemented also the worn-out glove from AST that lets you lift only one rock per screen and a nimbus to summon good bees.
Further implementations: it gives you 4 digits rupees so you can collect up to 9999. Also implemented is a further magic meter upgrade at the fat fairy pond. Throw in the powder pouch and you will upgrade the magic meter power drop a second time after the bat (now it only takes 1/4 of the magic). Contains now also an optional superbomb and Fairy Flippers that let you walk on the ground.

Rom: Expanded (min 1.5 MB) ALTTP (US), without header

Main code: multiple

http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/complete_items.zip

Contains:
Three versions (native menu, 24items menu, PW Version (Goldstar only))

Use this ASM to make further walls that can only be bombed with a superbomb!

Code:

; This asm is for making more walls superbomb-able only
; WRITTEN: by Conn
; THANKS TO: -MathOnNapkins' Zelda Doc's

; You can only make screens normal-bombable / superbombable
; this asm can add screens where super-bombs are required to open the wall
; make a normal bombable wall (item 86-bombable) and adjust the screen whether a superbomb is required
; the asm contains 3 screens (two are disabled by ";" semicolons, if you need more
; simply copy/paste the cmp #$screen/bne/jmp routine for as many screens as you need  

;header
lorom

ORG $1bc90d     ; go to the code that handles hammer-destroyable objects
JMP $b790       ; insert a jump to unused space

org $1bb790     ; go to unused space
cmp #$005b     ; check screen1 - pyramid of power (screen 005b)
bne $03         ; if it is run superbomb check; else check screen 2
jmp $c912        

;cmp #$0037     ; check screen2 - remove semicolons and give another screen
;bne $03         ; if it is run superbomb check; else check screen 3
;jmp $c912        

;cmp #$005b     ; check screen3 - remove semicolons and give another screen
;bne $03         ; if it is run superbomb check; else jump to normal bomb routine
;jmp $c912      

jmp $c91e       ; normal bomb routine.

Screenshots:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Admin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B474p34-OxA&feature=youtu.be

So now there's a super Boomerang in ALttP too... nice!

How does the gold morning star work? Do you aim it in eight directions like the boomerang? And it still latches onto and pull you into stuff?
Posted Image

KiddoCabbusses
Member Avatar
The overly enthused BS-X nerd.
Wow, neat patches!

The Pegasus Boots one in particular reminded me - someone I know has repeatedly asked for a hack of AST with all 8 dungeons playable in sequence and whatnot, but the more I thought about it the more I figured it'd only be possible if we could hack LttP to have the AST layouts rather than hacking from the AST ROMs themselves.

Course, I'm much more interested right now at the theoretical possibility of hacking Map 1/Map 2 into NES Map 1/Map 2 and implementing it in other BS Zelda hacks, but food for thought.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Legend of Zelda Series · Next Topic »
Add Reply