Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to BS Zelda. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Intro movie looping endlessly on higan...
Topic Started: Sep 28 2017, 05:01 PM (110 Views)
Redd
Hero Hatchling
I tried the msu version of AST week 1, but I can't play it as the opening FMV loops endlessly. It goes like this:
FMV plays
Title screen animation
FMV plays again
And so on.

I'm using higan v104 and the Official Week 1 ROM with the following patches:
AST MSU1 patch
Japanese Restoration
w1_enable_sublines.ips

Am I doing something wrong? The contents of the bszelda_ast1.sfc folder in the higan library folder are:

higan (folder)
bszelda_ast1.msu
bszelda_ast1.xml
bszelda_ast1-1.pcm
bszelda_ast1-2.pcm
bszelda_ast1-3.pcm
bszelda_ast1-4.pcm
manifest.bml
program.rom
save.ram

And here are my settings:
https://imgur.com/a/vhlYP

Did I miss something?

Thank you.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SmashManiac
Member Avatar
Legend
Hi Redd and welcome to the forums!

The good news is that you were able to get the FMV intro working, and that's the hardest part to do, so you're almost there!

Now, this may sound really dumb, but did you try pressing Start on the title screen? Because it's supposed to loop until you do so. Maybe your controller bindings aren't configured correctly on your emilator?

Also, you're using 3 patches that aren't designed to be used together. I don't think that's what is causing your issue, but we never tested this combination so that may be something to investigate if the former solution doesn't work. Even then, you should consider that you're going to have English subtitles that don't exactly match the English dialog due to technical limitations in the former, and have Japanese text popping up when talking to NPCs without a matching English counterpart.

Hope you get things sorted out soon! Let us know if you still need help.

Posted Image

The BIG List of Randomizers

Redd
Hero Hatchling
Thanks for the welcome and the help!

However, it turned out to be my fault. I had properly set up the input, but forgot to set the Controller Port 1 to Gamepad, so the emulator wasn't taking any input. Derp. I thought something was wrong because I didn't realize the video was supposed to play again after waiting in the title screen. Sorry and thanks again ^_^'

Unrelated, but it seems I misunderstood what the Japanese Restoration patch was supposed to do. I thought it was for getting the Japanese voices back, rather than changing the text back to Japanese. How do I get the Jp voices?

SmashManiac
Member Avatar
Legend
Unfortunately the original Japanese track is not currently available for the MSU-1 version of Ancient Stone Tablets. The only things we have to work with are:
- A VHS dump of a single playthrough, which is polluted by various in-game sound effects
- Almost all of the entire soundtrack, ripped from the Zelda: Sound & Drama CD album

We have a similar problem for the original BS Zelda. The assets we have are:
- A VHS dump of three playthroughs, which are polluted by various in-game sound effects
- A few of the original music tracks, ripped from various sources.

Until we have a feasible and realistic way to clean the tracks of sound effects, then we won't be able to restore the original Japanese tracks of those games. We were able to restore most of the missing music tracks for BS Zelda by cutting and pasting segments of tracks manually because they were repeated many times, but that technique won't work for voices.

That said, with the recent rebirth of artificial intelligence through machine learning, it might be possible to overcome that problem now, but considering I just thought about this possibility as I'm writing this post, it would need further investigation.

Posted Image

Redd
Hero Hatchling
I see. Thanks for explaining it to me. You guys did a fantastic job restoring and dubbing the audio. Hopefully the original voice clips can eventually be restored as well, for those of us who would like to experience the game with them.

One more question. By any chance, are there any plans to eventually restore the "intro" with the BS-X hub and everything by coding it into the ROMs themselves, so that it's no longer necessary to use a video? I don't mean adding a playable BS-X hub or anything of the sort; just recreating the sequence shown in the FMV. Are there any impediments preventing it?

SmashManiac
Member Avatar
Legend
Thank you very much, we appreciate the love! I hope one day it will be possible to play the game with its original dub too. Maybe one day a Japanese fan will be motivated enough to work on this problem, but so far that hasn't happened.

The FMV intro was a case where we judged it was good enough to convey the original feel for the game. At the other extreme, a full restoration would require emulating a radio broadcast, which would be very complex technically.

Your suggestion would be great, but there's a major problem. Assuming someone would be interested to do the coding work, the biggest hurdle would be that our patches fill the ROM almost completely with the restored dungeon data, so there's not much space left for a native intro cutscene. That's also the reason why we weren't able to combine the 4 episodes into a single ROM.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it didn't seem worth pursuing to us.

Posted Image

Redd
Hero Hatchling
I see. In that case, how does the idea of recreating the intro FMV using new recordings sound? The original video is just a recording of the BS-X interface/hub and AST, both of which are emulatable. So I think that by recording new videos via emulation (at an 1x scale and without filters), editing them together, and using the original FMV's audio track, we should be able to produce a new FMV that has a far better quality than the VHS and feels more like it's part of the game.

SmashManiac
Member Avatar
Legend
That's actually what we did for the static loading screens, but beyond that is a bit more complicated. The Satellaview part would require triggering states and animations that normally only occurred during a broadcast. The AST part would require recreating a cutscene that does not appear to have been preserved in the salvaged game code. It's most likely possible, but it would require someone motivated enough to overcome these challenges.

This is even trickier in the case of the original BS Zelda by the way, as some of the original artwork and animations from the intro cutscenes are lost in all but the VHS dumps.

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Bug reports · Next Topic »
Add Reply