Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to BS Zelda. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Transforming BS Zelda into a full-fledged remake?
Topic Started: Oct 16 2017, 03:07 AM (132 Views)
Redd
Hero Hatchling
I was wondering if people have tried to mod BS Zelda into a full fledged remake of the NES game, removing the Satellaview features and restoring the original content? I know people have restored Link as the player character, combined all weeks and disabled the time limit, but that's as far as people have gotten as far as I'm aware. How feasible would it be to make a ROM hack that removes the clock and time events, implements Level 9, and restores the original dungeon layouts, larger overworld, dungeon locations, heart piece locations, and difficulty? Have people looked into that?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SmashManiac
Member Avatar
Legend
At that point, I think it would make more sense to create a The Legend of Zelda HD fangame from scratch. :P

Posted Image

The BIG List of Randomizers

Redd
Hero Hatchling
You think so? I feel it's a waste that Ninty had Zelda 1 ported to the SNES with updated graphics and audio, only to use the engine with just BS Zelda and then abandon it (and never use the updated bgm for anything). They could easily have reused the engine and assets to produce a full fledged remake along the lines of Super Mario All-Stars.

SmashManiac
Member Avatar
Legend
Yeah, but those are changes that are hard to implement without the source code. In particular, the larger overworld and levels, the missing level 9, the unfinished Gleeok, the missing old man/woman types and potentially conflicting events seems to be major issues to me.

I could be wrong, but I believe that a full remake would be more efficient to program considering it also has additional advantages.

Posted Image

The BIG List of Randomizers

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Where'd that Princess go?
Admin
Redd,Oct 19 2017
06:35 AM
I feel it's a waste that Ninty had Zelda 1 ported to the SNES with updated graphics and audio, only to use the engine with just BS Zelda and then abandon it (and never use the updated bgm for anything). They could easily have reused the engine and assets to produce a full fledged remake along the lines of Super Mario All-Stars.

Hey Redd, it's not running on an SNES, but how about this?
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/bszeldapc.shtml#02

Close enough?

Personally, what i really would have wanted is a remake of the NES Zeldas in the style of Metroid Zero mission (so going beyond just upgraded port).
There's some things like that on Zelda Classic too though, so at least we got that.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Patching · Next Topic »
Add Reply