Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to BS Zelda. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Game Developers Conference talk idea
Topic Started: Mar 31 2018, 12:53 AM (76 Views)
SmashManiac
Member Avatar
Legend
Recently I went to a video game developer meetup with one of my old work colleagues and went to dinner with him afterwards with three other attendees. At some point during the meal, I mentioned that we completed the BS Zelda MSU-1 project and released it not too long ago. To my surprise, no one at the table knew what BS Zelda or the Satellaview was despite all of them being giant nerds working in the video games industry for years. I started explaining to them the history of the Satellaview, how it worked, the hurdles we went through to restore the games to their current state, and how mainstream gaming news wrote stories about us. They were all incredulous and dumbfounded by the whole thing, and once they realized my story was too crazy and elaborate to be a lie, I unexpectedly stole the spotlight for the entire evening.

After that, my friend contacted me again and suggested that this topic was so fascinating that I should do a talk at the Game Developers Conference, as he was preparing to do one himself about the representation of Muslims in video games.

I was planning to just write a BS Zelda restoration story on my blog at some point anyway, but I have to say, this GDC talk idea doesn't seem half-bad considering the audience, considering what we've done is the first of its kind, and considering the talk would be archived. I also thought it could be an opportunity to collect testimonials from important contributors, and maybe even meet up in person for the first time.

Anyway, I'm just throwing the idea out there. It's not something I'm considering seriously right now, but what do you guys think?

Posted Image

The BIG List of Randomizers
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Where'd that Princess go?
Admin
I'm sory to say but, honestly, I think that may be a bad idea.

We should probably be glad if most developers are in the dark concerning the BS Zelda games and the site. They aren't our target audience (that being Zelda fans) and seeing as making and selling games is their job (and source of profit), it seems to me these should be amonst the last people we want attention from.
Not saying that most developers would whistleblow on us, but some in that crowd may just have the right combination of strict mindset and connections within the industry to put us into the kind of spotlight we've mercifully managed to avoid all these years.

So I'd definitely prefer if you only discussed this with people you know and trust rather than a big crowd.
Posted Image

SmashManiac
Member Avatar
Legend
No need to be sorry, I just wanted to share my friend's idea for discussion. As I said, I'm not considering the idea seriously myself.

As for your concern, I believe it's a non-issue, but you got a point.

Posted Image

The BIG List of Randomizers

Conn
Member Avatar
We call it life
Admin
I'm not sure if I can still adjust to the awareness. I launched this page in 1999 and despite other projects were c&d:ed we were never a target. And our work got attention! we even got articles in magazines and I remember we needed to increase the allowed traffic when the msu was released. unwanted people already got aware of us, for sure, but they don't take actions. I think it's because the difficult copyright bszelda has, I'm no lawyer, but I think st.giga holds it (in case there EVER was a copyright on a satellite game), and this company is dead. So nobody cares I think.
So from my side, no objections to do whatever you like, smash, but these are just my 5 cents on it... after almost 20 years :)
Edited by Conn, Apr 8 2018, 03:05 AM.

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Generic Discussions · Next Topic »
Add Reply