Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to BS Zelda. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Super Metroid / A Link to the Past mashup
Topic Started: May 2 2018, 04:36 AM (78 Views)
SmashManiac
Member Avatar
Legend
Someone is working on a mixed Super Metroid / A Link to the Past with randomized features.

No public release yet, it's currently under test.

And to clarify, it's a single ROM, not a special emulator.

Posted Image

The BIG List of Randomizers
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SmashManiac
Member Avatar
Legend
And here's how he arranged the memory in the ROM. :link:

...combined Ancient Stone Tablets ROM next anyone? :P

Posted Image

Conn
Member Avatar
We call it life
Admin
I found this game, too and had the same thought. They use extra lorom to combine these games. Technically the same thought as I had already a long time ago, too.
The problem is that the exlorom is limited to 8 MB. Means we cannot combine the 4 AST roms at the current state (4x4MB=16MB).
What could be possible is to combine the roms without the intro/end (slideshow) patch so you have 4x2MB=8MB. But many other patches might be incompatible which use space in the region between 2-4MB (like the msu patch). Their code needs to be shifted to a space between 1-2MB.
Then, and this is horrible: you must re-direct every bank pointer to the new one.

I will not go for it, too much trouble for too little outcome. It is convenient, sure, to have it all in one candy rom, but the effort and restrictions to renounce on the slideshows makes me rejecting this. I got used to having 4 roms and with this trick:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/bszelda/topic/9025675/1/
you also don't need to rename anything anymore (only at the setup).

Posted Image

SmashManiac
Member Avatar
Legend
The problem with 4 ROMs is that even though we know how to handle them without too much trouble, it causes a lot of headaches for most people.

Thoughts that I never really had until now:

• The original AST ROMs are 1 MB each, and so does ALttP. This sounds to me that some of the patches don't use ROM space efficiently.
  • MSU-1 code, and possibly other functions, could be shared if the ROMs would be combined.
  • Didn't tewtal needed to update pointers for his ALttP+Super Metroid project too? If so, it would probably be a good idea to ask him about it and see if he found an efficient way to do it.
  • With ALttP hacking being really popular these days thanks to the item randomizer, it might be possible to find someone else to handle such a project by asking around on forums or on Discord.

Posted Image

Duke Serkol
Member Avatar
Where'd that Princess go?
Admin
SmashManiac
May 2 2018, 04:36 AM
Posted Image

But seriously, that's interesting and it'd be great if this somehow led to AST's four weeks being merged into one file.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Legend of Zelda Series · Next Topic »
Add Reply